What's new
And a pic of it in the machine. Unfortunately the bloody monitor is playing up again. The image from the MiSTer is there for a nano second and then gone.
FD4838BA-2835-48CD-8F62-667DA7EA60DB.jpeg
I love it! I always wonder what people are using the breakout board to do but now I know :)

From someone is really poor at crimping wires, your wiring job looks excellent!

I love it! I always wonder what people are using the breakout board to do but now I know :)

From someone is really poor at crimping wires, your wiring job looks excellent!
Thanks 😊. I’m getting better at crimping. Those wires weren’t technically done correctly as I think the insulation part of the wire is meant to be crimped with the wings on the base of the pin - but it was too thick to fit in my crimper with the pins I had. All good though. It’s a snug crimp and will be fine for this purpose.

can you explain the player mapping script that is included? i've read a few posts how its all predone on mistercade. if it was not there does that mean, each core you load you need to define controls and then it is set? it is then mapped for the next time you play etc?

can you explain the player mapping script that is included? i've read a few posts how its all predone on mistercade. if it was not there does that mean, each core you load you need to define controls and then it is set? it is then mapped for the next time you play etc?

That is correct. The MiSter's default control binding is based on the SNES console pad and that will work for some cores, but the MiSTercade has premade control bindings for all the console and arcade game cores so that they match an arcade cab's 6 button layout. You can still remap the controls though if you want different bindings than the premade ones.

Last edited:
That is correct. The MiSter's default control binding is based on the SNES console pad and that will work for some cores, but the MiSTercade has premade control bindings for all the console and arcade game cores so that they match an arcade cab's 6 button layout. You can still remap the controls though if you want different bindings than the premade ones.
thanks, so cryptic around here. just trying to compare a few options. to me this is a good feature, but also not a deal breaker. thanks again!

thanks, so cryptic around here. just trying to compare a few options. to me this is a good feature, but also not a deal breaker. thanks again!

Exactly - it's a convenient feature, but not a must-have. It doesn't take long to rebind a core.

I think the "cryptic" comes from the strong rivalry there is between the various JAMMA hat makers. There's been a few heated discussions in the AP forums about features with the various MiSTer JAMMA hats before. I'm biased since I helped beta test the MiSTercade and wrote the manual for it, so I try not to speak up on MiSTer JAMMA hats too much outside of the MiSTercade thread.

Yeah. But i aint asking for code or firmware, just what a feature means. Otherwise yeah i get it. Ive had many ideas stolen it sucks

To add a bit more context, some other JAMMA solutions use standard MAME keyboard inputs. Those aren't present in all cores, so it's a mixed bag. I've gone through each core and manually mapped them for MiSTercade.

There's still a bit more work to be done, converting the individual .map files to a single database entry that can be easily updated with a script. No time to get to that at the moment, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m a bit torn between the JAMMIX and MiSTerCade JAMMA solutions for MiSTer. According to recent SM posts, both appear to be available for the 1.2 versions soon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

This will be going into a horizontal oriented cabinet with a 29” multi sync Kortek monitor (DB-15 connector). I’m also looking for guidance on playing vertically oriented games (PacMan, Donkey Kong) on this setup. Recent investigations point towards using a HDMI to VGA adapter to allow the Video_Scaler=1 setting for screen rotation. I’m hoping that I can use alternate Mister.ini files for horizontal (direct_video=1 and video_scaler=0) and vertical (direct_video=0 and video_scaler=1). Thanks for any help.

Hi all, I’m a bit torn between the JAMMIX and MiSTerCade JAMMA solutions for MiSTer. According to recent SM posts, both appear to be available for the 1.2 versions soon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

This will be going into a horizontal oriented cabinet with a 29” multi sync Kortek monitor (DB-15 connector). I’m also looking for guidance on playing vertically oriented games (PacMan, Donkey Kong) on this setup. Recent investigations point towards using a HDMI to VGA adapter to allow the Video_Scaler=1 setting for screen rotation. I’m hoping that I can use alternate Mister.ini files for horizontal (direct_video=1 and video_scaler=0) and vertical (direct_video=0 and video_scaler=1). Thanks for any help.
Since you're asking in a thread about MiSTercade, I vote you get a MiSTercade! I'm not familiar with "SM", can you specify who that is?

In any case, MiSTercade is, in my opinion, the best solution. The video circuit is 1:1 with a very expensive series of arcade PCBs. The audio amp is also very clear and powerful (12-20W). Various accessories, such as the Remote (volume knob, coin buttons, SNAX, and admin buttons), and the Versus (soon to be released cabinet linking solution) augmet the capability. The input encoder is the fastest ever measured (0.7ms), and mappings are available for all current arcade cores so you can download and get to playing. 3 successful rounds of sales and many many satisfied customers. I'd share the actual sales numbers but I don't want to make anyone feel bad :)

Since you're asking in a thread about MiSTercade, I vote you get a MiSTercade! I'm not familiar with "SM", can you specify who that is?

In any case, MiSTercade is, in my opinion, the best solution. The video circuit is 1:1 with a very expensive series of arcade PCBs. The audio amp is also very clear and powerful (12-20W). Various accessories, such as the Remote (volume knob, coin buttons, SNAX, and admin buttons), and the Versus (soon to be released cabinet linking solution) augmet the capability. The input encoder is the fastest ever measured (0.7ms), and mappings are available for all current arcade cores so you can download and get to playing. 3 successful rounds of sales and many many satisfied customers. I'd share the actual sales numbers but I don't want to make anyone feel bad :)
Thanks for the quick response. SM = Social Media (Twitter). I saw your tweet yesterday about the v1.2 boards shipping from China soon (big thumbs up!). I've already got my pre-order in for the v1.2 LITE kit. and am looking forward to trying this thing out. The current lack of availablity across the MiSTer JAMMA solution space most likely has folks in the market (like me) looking for other options.

MiSTerCade does look like it has the lion's share of the market at this point which hopefully bodes well for long term support and crowd sourced advice via the forums. I'm drawn to MiSTerCade for this reason as well as the preloaded core config files that are provided which would seem seem to be a significant timesaver. I'm curious if MiSTerCade plans include expansion via JAMMA/CHAMMA edge + CPS2 Kick Harness to support future 4 Player games - such as TMNT Simpsons. JAMMIX is claiming this capability now, but I haven't seen any first hand reports of it working with 4 player cores.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to rotate for TATE gameplay with this setup. There must be a solution out there short of fully rotating the monitor. Granted, anything short of monitor rotation will be taking something away from the full arcade experience, but one has to pick their poison I guess.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to rotate for TATE gameplay with this setup. There must be a solution out there short of fully rotating the monitor. Granted, anything short of monitor rotation will be taking something away from the full arcade experience, but one has to pick their poison I guess.

Connecting your MiSTer up to an HD display through HDMI and letting the scaler display the vertical image on the horizontal display is pretty much your only option at the moment.

Thanks for the quick response. SM = Social Media (Twitter). I saw your tweet yesterday about the v1.2 boards shipping from China soon (big thumbs up!). I've already got my pre-order in for the v1.2 LITE kit. and am looking forward to trying this thing out. The current lack of availablity across the MiSTer JAMMA solution space most likely has folks in the market (like me) looking for other options.

MiSTerCade does look like it has the lion's share of the market at this point which hopefully bodes well for long term support and crowd sourced advice via the forums. I'm drawn to MiSTerCade for this reason as well as the preloaded core config files that are provided which would seem seem to be a significant timesaver. I'm curious if MiSTerCade plans include expansion via JAMMA/CHAMMA edge + CPS2 Kick Harness to support future 4 Player games - such as TMNT Simpsons. JAMMIX is claiming this capability now, but I haven't seen any first hand reports of it working with 4 player cores.

The problem with 4 player cores is that there aren't any. The problem with 4 player cabinets is that there aren't any standards. The most popular ones are Konami, with maybe CPS-III being a second. In any case, I've thought about relasing an extra 2P encoder so you can wire up P3 and P4.

@misteraddons any word on the express? I was hopeful to use it in my entertainment center last summer. I've dying of old age over here... 2x Mistercades for the cabs and I need the express (may start shopping around) to consolize my third Mister w/ 2x ram support :D

@misteraddons any word on the express? I was hopeful to use it in my entertainment center last summer. I've dying of old age over here... 2x Mistercades for the cabs and I need the express (may start shopping around) to consolize my third Mister w/ 2x ram support :D
Getting very close, I think. It's taken longer than expected because I've added extra stuff. Design is mostly done, just working on firmware now, and finalizing things :)

The problem with 4 player cores is that there aren't any. The problem with 4 player cabinets is that there aren't any standards. The most popular ones are Konami, with maybe CPS-III being a second. In any case, I've thought about relasing an extra 2P encoder so you can wire up P3 and P4.

Actually....
200px-Comic_Book_Guy.png

There's a few 3 & 4 player arcade cores and games on MiSTer - seven games outside of Capcom CPS1 & 2:

Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Hyper Sports
Rampage
Snow Bros 2 (Toaplan)

Bullet (Sega System 16)
Dunk Shot (Sega System 16)

Captain Commando (CPS1)
Knights of the Round (CPS1)
King of Dragons (CPS1)
Final Fight Anniversary (CPS1)
Mercs (CPS1)
Muscle Bomber (CPS1)

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (CPS1.5)
Saturday Night Slammasters (CPS1.5)
Warriors of Fate (CPS1.5)

Alien Vs Predator (CPS2)
Armored Warriors (CPS2)
Battle Circuit (CPS2)
Dungeons and Dragons - Shadows over Mistara (CPS2)
Dungeons and Dragons - Tower of Doom (CPS2)

Also, I think you meant CPS2 as a popular platform instead of CPS3. CPS3 doesn't have any 3-4 player games.

As it is with the current MiSTer hats (including MiSTercade), you can plug in two USB controllers for Player 3 and Player 4, or use a USB encoder (ie Undamned, Brook) to wire up your cab's Player 3 and Player 4 controllers.

Actually....
200px-Comic_Book_Guy.png

There's a few 3 & 4 player arcade cores and games on MiSTer - seven games outside of Capcom CPS1 & 2:

Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Hyper Sports
Rampage
Snow Bros 2 (Toaplan)

Bullet (Sega System 16)
Dunk Shot (Sega System 16)

Captain Commando (CPS1)
Knights of the Round (CPS1)
King of Dragons (CPS1)
Final Fight Anniversary (CPS1)
Mercs (CPS1)
Muscle Bomber (CPS1)

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (CPS1.5)
Saturday Night Slammasters (CPS1.5)
Warriors of Fate (CPS1.5)

Alien Vs Predator (CPS2)
Armored Warriors (CPS2)
Battle Circuit (CPS2)
Dungeons and Dragons - Shadows over Mistara (CPS2)
Dungeons and Dragons - Tower of Doom (CPS2)

Also, I think you meant CPS2 as a popular platform instead of CPS3. CPS3 doesn't have any 3-4 player games.

As it is with the current MiSTer hats (including MiSTercade), you can plug in two USB controllers for Player 3 and Player 4, or use a USB encoder (ie Undamned, Brook) to wire up your cab's Player 3 and Player 4 controllers.
Ok, I admit, this was a pretty big brain fart. And yeah, I meant the 3P/4P CPS kick header.

Back