What's new

Gamesmonkey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't seem to find the page with the MoonWalker no MCU roms on it, can anybody help please.

Thanks

Both files in this zip have binary differences to the ones I had originally, so I'm hopeful this is the patched one. I'll burn the EPROMs and will edit the post in a moment.

EDIT:
Yes these are the good ROMs. Let's make sure this gets preserved. With @Apocalypse permission, I'd like to generate IPS patches for those.

Last edited:
If they don’t have the same checksum as the “bad” ones, they should be the good ones

With @Apocalypse permission, I'd like to generate IPS patches for those.
Glad it's the fixed version.

He's basically offline, you could be waiting a while for explicit permission. They were released publicly, just with those expiring links fwiw.

Hi,I can't find the no MCU roms for Shadow Dancer. Does someone got it? Please!!
I don't think those exist.

As a matter of fact I'm trying to dig any information on it... so that I could perform the ROM modification myself. However, even on archive.org after-image of Apocalypse's dead blog, there were no information on how he performed the patch on Moonwalker so I have no reference of what do do. I was able to patch Thunder Force AC for System C2 by following his technical logs, but there's nothing on the System 18, unfortunately, and Charles McDonald tech doc on System 18 is rather incomplete, and missing information on how the 315-5436 chip works...

If anyone knows anything that could help accomplishing this, I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

I tried it, and it seems to be better than with the original romset. Unfortunately some of the tiles are still all crazy on this one with the 171-5987 romboard.

Title screen appears to be ok initially (dog bark, fire) but glitches appear at the first glance of shadow dancer logo. Then the screen gets ok after SEGA pops up.
Texts are mostly ok so far
Tiles on Stage 1 are all scrambled. Sprites work ok.
Jumpers are set the same as the setting for Moonwalker on this board (all roms are the same size Shadow dancer uses 2 less eproms for sound).

There are small binary differences though, so it does have some modifications.

Thanks a lot @ekorz

Last edited:
I tried it, and it seems to be better than with the original romset. Unfortunately some of the tiles are still all crazy on this one with the 171-5987 romboard.

Title screen appears to be ok initially (dog bark, fire) but glitches appear at the first glance of shadow dancer logo. Then the screen gets ok after SEGA pops up.
Texts are mostly ok so far
Tiles on Stage 1 are all scrambled. Sprites work ok.
Jumpers are set the same as the setting for Moonwalker on this board (all roms are the same size Shadow dancer uses 2 less eproms for sound).

There are small binary differences though, so it does have some modifications.

Thanks a lot @ekorz
In the previous post an user said that these points needed to be wired to fix the issue. Could you try it?

Attachments

• bridges.png
    bridges.png
    863.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
In the previous post an user said that these points needed to be wired to fix the issue. Could you try it?
I tried it just now. At first glance it appears to solve the issues, but not all of them. There's still sprite corruptions, both in the demo and in normal gameplay.

But this should be purely a software issue, much like it was with Moonwalker. I still think it can be solved without any hardwiring on the ROM board.

Oh, What a pity!
Hmmm... I'll retract what I said last time. Somehow the sprite corruptions I saw after making the mod worked themselves out. I'm not sure if it was because I pulled the romboard out to check something, or something else, but the game seems to be playing now without any visible glitches. Perhaps it will work great for you. :)

Hi could you post a photo of your ROM board layout please, having no luck here.

Edit: All sorted forgot to do the three wire mod .
Edit Edit: I can confirm this runs fine here is a photo of my ROM board. This maybe of use to others.😀
20220619_120237.jpg

Attachments

• 20220618_171343.jpg
    20220618_171343.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Sorry about taking long to post my picture. Excuse my not so neat wire mod.
I'm posting this in case someone uses Flash ROMs (39SF020) instead of EPROMs, there's a slight difference in the jumper configuration.

26/25 is needed because pin 31 needs to have voltage. Otherwise no samples will play.
14/13 and 20/19 get inverted on mine because the flash has JEDEC pinout.

I hope this helps someone.

@Gamesmonkey Your rom stickers look so cool. How do I get those? 😅

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Ha ha, I made a template in Microsoft Word and cut out by hand.😂
My wire mod is not the best either. 😀

Okay, I played Shadow Dancer a bit further... I saw a lot of corruption on the first boss.

Edit Edit: I can confirm this runs fine here is a photo of my ROM board. This maybe of use to others.😀
Did you or anybody else see any issue like that as well? Please let me know.

Back