What's new

elgarlic

Student
Reaction score
Hi,

I received my HAS yesterday, hopeful that I could get it working with the MK titles. I'm aware of the challenges that their unorthodox, 54hz refresh rate bring, but hopefully it can be worked out.

My setup is the latest HAS, hooked up to a modern display (currently testing on a Samsung ku6300 4K TV, but can try on other monitors), using a retrotink5x pro, via Retrogamingcables' RGB SCART cable. The boards (T-unit MK1, 8Mb MK2, UMK3, and MK4) are all confirmed working, as are the sound boards.

Trying MK4 first, I did get a video signal. On most of the 5xPro's video options, the top ~10% of lines are wavy/distorted. On the 720p setting, it's just the top couple of lines and the picture is mostly stable. However, the bottom of the screen cannot be resolved, no matter what cropping or positioning settings I use on the 5xPro. It cuts off about halfway through the Midway logo on the title screen.

Unfortunately, the first three games are not outputting any video at all. The 5xPro detects no signal, and the frame lock settings do not seem to help. The audio is coming through fine.

I am assuming the incompatibility is down to the retrotink, and I may want to look into an OSSC? But I wanted to see anyone had suggestions, first. Thanks for reading.

I was only wondering about this recently. How do scalers handle sending a 54hz signal like mortal kombat or rtype to a 60hz flat panel? I assume you need a vrr panel or else there is some buffering tearing?

Well, from some chats I've had today and a bit more reading (retrotink discord, etc), it seems the 5xpro isn't going to recognize MK. So, I've got an OSSC on the way. As you say, MickyMac, there might be tearing at 60hz. I do have a monitor with freesync that I can use, though. Hopefully that does the trick.

@jassin000 would be the one to ask regarding MK.

Some notes here: Mortal Kombat 1 on HAS

You should be in the right track at least.
Thanks, I did come across that. I wasn't familiar with the iScan DVDO products, but I'll try to avoid that route if I can (not least of all because it is discontinued and one more pricey item to add to the chain). If my TVs don't work out, I can hopefully stick with my monitor and put the $400ish towards a VRR TV someday down the line. ;)

The OSSC does indeed do the trick. I have a few freesync monitors that pick up the signal with no problem. Unfortunately, my 4k Samsung TV gives me an error about the resolution (presumably actually meaning refresh rate) is not supported. Oh well... still have a working method for now.

I've had pretty good success using a cheapo SCART to HDMI converter off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com.au/Baosity-Converter-Support-Connector-Output/dp/B081N6H4L4) with my MK2 and UMK3 boards on both my PC LCD and LCD TV. The input lag on these devies isn't the best, but it's good and cheap to use when testing boards on different panels.
Thanks. Yeah, I do fortunately now have several means of testing the boards. But for gameplay in something like MK, the huge input lag of those converters is probably a no go.

I think the only other option to test would be the modified GBS-C board. I've heard from one person that while the stock device worked fine for MK. They got no signal from the upgraded version.

Hello

On my side, only DVDO VP50 can support this frequency at this time..

The OSSC does indeed do the trick. I have a few freesync monitors that pick up the signal with no problem. Unfortunately, my 4k Samsung TV gives me an error about the resolution (presumably actually meaning refresh rate) is not supported. Oh well... still have a working method for now.
Hi, I am thinking to get the OSSC, and I was wondering how is your final feedback about the compatibility with MK boards? Do you need to create a specific profile for them or it works straight forward out from the box using default profiles.

In general, using the OSSC with different boards, can you get a centered picture spread on the screen, or you get different geometries for each different board like happen with an arcade monitor?

Thanks

I got an OSSC v1.8 and I can confirm that all the MK boards run well either on the VGA or LCD screen. Only MK4 needs a to be a little bit tweaked in the Samplings Options in order to adjust the vertical size of the picture.

Back