What's new

tDRG

Grand Master
Reaction score
It's a bit tight, but I was able to mount both a CPS2 with a Darksoft multi and a Naomi 1 with Sega IO and @Lemony Vengeance 's CPS2-Sega IO adapter on their own wooden boards and fit them (individually) in my Blast City. Figured I'd post some details here if anyone's ever looking for resources.

Materials:
The piece of wood included in my Blast measured 15 3/4" x 20 7/8" by 1/2". I picked the straightest looking board with as few filled-in knots as possible. Had it cut in the store. I used a small plane to file the top down a little bit more at home after testing in the cab, especially the back corner. After getting the right fit, I traced the bottom and back rails and top front mounting slot clearances onto the boards so I knew how much room I had to work with. I'd be happy to provide measurements if anyone needs them, but drawing the lines on the boards yourself is probably the easiest way to do it. As for mounting, I lined up the PCBs on the wood outside the cabinet, marked the holes, then drilled small pilot holes.

I tried to leave a little bit of space in the back of the CPS2 for the fan exhaust. I can get the kick harness and JAMMA adapter in behind the LCD screen no problem, and it's easy to pop the LCD 3D print off the 3D print mounted to the wood if I need extra room.
IMG_20220626_142812.jpg

IMG_20220626_143031.jpg

The Naomi was a bit tighter. Even with the back of the Sega IO's angled USB cable nearly touching the Naomi and the Naomi as far back as I could put it, the door presses against the JAMMA adapter's wires when I close it. Maybe I'll look for an alternative CPS2 kick converter, but I think it's good enough.
IMG_20220626_202239.jpg

IMG_20220626_201546.jpg
IMG_20220626_201556.jpg

If you mount the SEGA IO horizontally above the namoi you won't be pinching the jamma harness with the service door.

Good idea, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

It's a bit tight, but I was able to mount both a CPS2 with a Darksoft multi and a Naomi 1 with Sega IO and @Lemony Vengeance 's CPS2-Sega IO adapter on their own wooden boards and fit them (individually) in my Blast City. Figured I'd post some details here if anyone's ever looking for resources.

Materials:
The piece of wood included in my Blast measured 15 3/4" x 20 7/8" by 1/2". I picked the straightest looking board with as few filled-in knots as possible. Had it cut in the store. I used a small plane to file the top down a little bit more at home after testing in the cab, especially the back corner. After getting the right fit, I traced the bottom and back rails and top front mounting slot clearances onto the boards so I knew how much room I had to work with. I'd be happy to provide measurements if anyone needs them, but drawing the lines on the boards yourself is probably the easiest way to do it. As for mounting, I lined up the PCBs on the wood outside the cabinet, marked the holes, then drilled small pilot holes.

I tried to leave a little bit of space in the back of the CPS2 for the fan exhaust. I can get the kick harness and JAMMA adapter in behind the LCD screen no problem, and it's easy to pop the LCD 3D print off the 3D print mounted to the wood if I need extra room.
IMG_20220626_142812.jpg

IMG_20220626_143031.jpg

The Naomi was a bit tighter. Even with the back of the Sega IO's angled USB cable nearly touching the Naomi and the Naomi as far back as I could put it, the door presses against the JAMMA adapter's wires when I close it. Maybe I'll look for an alternative CPS2 kick converter, but I think it's good enough.
IMG_20220626_202239.jpg

IMG_20220626_201546.jpg
IMG_20220626_201556.jpg
How many pcb mounting boards were you able to get with one full sheet?
I have 4 Blasts and 4 Astros that need mounting boards.

Not sure if Astros use the same size, but I think you could squeeze 3 20.875x15.75s out of a 4'x2'. The 15.75 should probably be as close as possible for the Blast, but smaller PCBs don't need boards that run the full 20.875.

If you mount the SEGA IO horizontally above the namoi you won't be pinching the jamma harness with the service door.
Yeah, good call @BlinG . Sega IO fits horizontally, plenty of room for the JAMMA harness even with the CPS2 kick adapter. I didn't think it would when I measured a while back, but having the Naomi in place helped a lot; probably would have been best to mount the Naomi first, then go back for the Sega IO.
IMG_20220627_133723.jpg

IMG_20220627_133801.jpg

IMG_20220627_132647.jpg

Question. Since this is a Blast City and assuming you have the proper monitor supporting 31khz. shouldnt the HD15 go directly to the monitor (31khz dipswitch enabled on Naomi) and your SEGA JVS IO goes to your Blast City IO (-001 Loom). Or is this setup this way since you're missing the -001 Loom?

pp948ls.jpg

Question. Since this is a Blast City and assuming you have the proper monitor supporting 31khz. shouldnt the HD15 go directly to the monitor (31khz dipswitch enabled on Naomi) and your SEGA JVS IO goes to your Blast City IO (-001 Loom). Or is this setup this way since you're missing the -001 Loom?
I use the vs kit in this cabinet for player 2. I sorta just threw in my Naomi board and half assed the connections to get a quick photo for reference. You can get 31khz running from the IO to the Naomi with an hd15 cable though.

You could use the large mounting brackets of a Capcom Converter IO Board, they are specifically designed to mound a Capcom Converter on top of a Naomi, and it's the exact same fit than a CPS2.

Or I imagine they can be 3D printed quite easily.

7d4a201f-cc68-417f-8845-0af7b11e0ca3-jpeg.jpg

I keep hearing about sega i/o being superior and cheaper because no input lag, but I don't notice any difference using the Capcom i/o 🤷

I keep hearing about sega i/o being superior and cheaper because no input lag, but I don't notice any difference using the Capcom i/o 🤷
Yeah, I'd be interested to see an analysis showing how many frames it actually adds. From https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/capcom-jvs-io-alternatives.10690/post-173296 - "it responds to switch requests with the button state at the time of the previous request. Basically it adds input lag, the game will poll inputs and get a response with the state of the buttons at the time of the previous request." If the polling rate is 60 Hz, is that just one frame?

Definitely cheaper though; my Sega IO was $35 vs. $180-200 for a Capcom IO.

I still prefer the Capcom i/o. It holds its value and it's super plug and play. Without the Lemony 🍋 Vengeance adapter for the sega i/o, I'd be lost.

Back