What's new

bravesirchris

Student
Reaction score
I need some advice with a time crisis 2, Ive had to replace the original PSU (as it was very dead) with 2 switch modes one for each system, Im now getting a " SUBCPU INITIALIZE TIME OUT "

Anyone seen this issue before or now where I've gone wrong ?

Attachments

• time crisis 2 screen.jpg
    time crisis 2 screen.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 473
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/time-crisis-2-subcpu-timeout.269060/ said:
SUB CPU is the board in the gun tower. You either have a harness issue (something is unplugged or a broken wire somewhere) or the SUB CPU board is bad.

You might have forgotten to plug something ... recheck your work, start with that middle 24 Volt powersupply? you kept that one right?

oh and reflow these little power distribution connector boards for good measures if you have ever have sync issues, or if one side reboot, or if one side doesn't boot, or ... just do it ;)
IMG_9624.jpg

I don't have 24v on the 2 switch modes i installed as there isn't 24vols on the dead PSU i took out ?
so should i have 24v?

Attachments

• time crisis 2 psu.jpg
    time crisis 2 psu.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 176
24 volts doesn't matter to get the Sub CPU to initialize. 24 volts is only for the gun recoil. The game will work without it, just no recoil.

"Sub CPU Initialize Time Out" means the Gun IO board is not working. Either it has no power or it has failed. Make sure your power supply replacement is powering your IO boards.

Try to set Dip Switch No 2 to ON, it will skip the post and you can check if boots anyway

here I thought I was going to be easy by talking a picture:

IMG_9627.jpg

...so I crawled in there and YES, you need 24v and that will most hopefully help your issue!
IMG_9628.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else and I'll be happy to help ;)

I've attach a photo of the inside, i don't have a 24volt switch mode, the 2 switch modes that I've in stalled are +5v at 15amps and +12volts at 4 Amp.

so its one switch mode for each side.

As the dead psu i removed didn't have 24volts on it i thought i would be ok.

Attachments

• time crisis 2 inside.jpg
    time crisis 2 inside.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 174
It’s an issue with the Gun I/O pcb. 24v isn’t needed for the game pcb to boot up. Like @andynumbers said, are the I/O pcbs getting any power? They run off +5v.

It’s an issue with the Gun I/O pcb. 24v isn’t needed for the game pcb to boot up. Like @andynumbers said, are the I/O pcbs getting any power? They run off +5v.
Yep. This exactly. 24V is only for the Gun recoil circuit...not the actual Gun I/O to work. You could pull the 24v supply and wiring, and run happ guns in these things, without issue.

The gun I/o (sub CPU)'s are in the pedestal...so if you don't have the pedestal hooked up to the main cabinet, this is why you are getting this error.

Trace the 5v from the supply all the way to the gun I/O's, and if they are getting voltage, then double check the connections from the I/O back to the main CPU.

Something that can also cause this issue is bad wire crimps on the 12 pin Mate-N-Loc connector. The system uses a variation of JVS. I forgot which pins they are but the manual has the wiring diagram.

Back