dannahan

Professional
Reaction score

https://imgur.com/a/3AHDFtu

complete. Thanks mitsurugi-w

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw something about if you use the Dreamcast ports it disables the main controls? Is that true? But then in the spreadsheet I see games that support the vmu but not the Dreamcast controller? How does that make any sense? Did some cabs have a slot for the vmu but no Dreamcast controller port?

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
ok cool. I thought that didn't make any sense. Really to me the only cool thing about this is the VMU. I can't think of why I would ever want to use a dreamcast controller over arcade style controls for any of these games.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I have used these Maple Adapters to save and load games on my VMU while using arcade controls. No problems.

mathieulh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant get solder wick to work worth a shit.
You need to mix the non leaded solder with leaded one to lower the solder point, and use flux to make solder adhere better to the braid. I personally use a soldering iron at 315 degrees celcius. It takes some practice before you get it right. It's much cleaner than other techniques when you do though.

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
I cant get solder wick to work worth a shit.
You need to mix the non leaded solder with leaded one to lower the solder point, and use flux to make solder adhere better to the braid. I personally use a soldering iron at 315 degrees celcius. It takes some practice before you get it right. It's much cleaner than other techniques when you do though.
Nothing beats a proper desoldering tool though. I personally did mine the same as you with a wick, but it definitely requires more time and patience that way.

Reactions: nem

Foxe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Mitsurugi-w , are these DIY kits still being sold? Also, are there alternatives to original DC ports being used? I don't have a DC I can harvest from so I thought of using the ports on an extension cord. Seems like I would lose out on mounting it properly, but it seems fine.

nam9

Grand Master
Reaction score
Also, are there alternatives to original DC ports being used? I don't have a DC I can harvest from so I thought of using the ports on an extension cord.
You can find controller port assemblies on eBay. That’s what I used. Just search ‘Dreamcast controller ports’.