What's new
Okay, so I just found out about this and I tried to read/ski through all 11 pages so far before asking any dumb/repeated questions. I've been trying to follow the twistedsymphony guide but the original post is very dated so trying to understand what is the latest and greatest tools/methods has been confusing.

Here is what I have:
  • Naomi 1 netboot
    • Multi BIOS installed
  • 3.17 netdimm
    • Awaiting zero key, but it seems like that isn't needed?
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
    • I was planning to run off my old Pi Model B with Adafruit LCD, but when I found out about this, I decided to switch to my 3 without LCD. I don't want to be bothered to desolder and move to the 3 if I can use my phone or web with WiPi, but I'm not clear on how you connect to the device (I think I connect via 192.168.1.2?)
From what I gather, the easiest way to get me running (if I don't need the zero key anymore) is to just use Win32DiskImager to write the @waali image (see quote below) to my SD card.

Hopefully these assumptions are correct.

If so, the only other question I have (for now) is how do we move to the latest version? Is it easy to upgrade from V4 to V5 or do I have to re-image the SD card every time?
WiPi Netbooter v4 Build AW and N1 only

Imaged from Sandisk 32GB Ultra

https://mega.nz/file/tU8HSIZL#6BqupMsTFLk3PedlVqeWPmr3FvA0dbsOTN-Q5Saxrtg

Build details:
WiPi Netbooter v4
Mega file set added
Extra files added from naochitri set
Missing videos added
Missing images added
Some images changed/edited
CSV N2, CH, TR lines removed
CSV Genre cleaned up

Was going to update the image to V5 but had a though. Would people prefer an updated image or a zip with the config/rom folders.

Was going to update the image to V5 but had a though. Would people prefer an updated image or a zip with the config/rom folders.
Both? For me that is setting things up from the start, a ready image is awesome.

For existing I guess a zip is nice.

@Paik4Life

You just connect to it via the wifi access point.

So
1. burn the image using win32diskimager, then boot the pi.
2. Open your phone wifi settings, and you will see a SSID "WiPi Network" ore something like that, connect to it. (this will disconnect you from your home wifi and now you will have a direct connection to the pi access point with your phone)
3. Open a web browser on your phone and type any url, use this one for example http://a.com You have to type that exactly. No https, just type this into web browser on your phone http://a.com
4. Now you should see the web interface. That's it, no need to change anything network related.

The new version adds a method to connect the pi to your home network, but i haven't tested it yet, but the directions above still work for v4 and the new version, the new version just adds more configuration options.

You can literally take a pi out of the box for the first time, stick the burnt image sd card in, turn it on for the first time and it's working... no need to have a lcd screen or any other hardware mods to the pi any more, you just need to make sure your pi has wifi and you've configured your net dimm.
Thanks for this and your detailed installation guide as well!
Thanks for your image. Your package was one of the reasons I asked how easy it is to upgrade the WiPi to a newer version. If I have to reimage the SD card every time, it might be problem for me since I don't have a Windows laptop regularly. I think it might make sense to just do a zip with the config/rom folders since Chunksin will keep updating the version. It will save you the hassle of having to create a new image with each update (even minor updates/patches).

My only remaining question from my original post was confirmation that a zero pic is no longer necessary?

~Paik

I'm happy with v4 and the functions therein so I wont be moving to v5. I'll pack the config and rom folders as a separate zip for those wanting a quick drop in set.

@Murray - I can see the issue, the way it works is the csv file is ordered by alphabetical order on the description column. The script takes that field, adds it to the audit result and then does a sort in python on the description so that when the data is being written back to the csv it happens in the correct order. For some reason the script sees the DX version as before the non DX version in it's sort - weird behaviour, you can work around it by changing those 2 entries around in the csv file. Let me know if that sorts it (pardon the pun)

Thanks very much to you guys putting together guides and custom images, I really appreciate the effort! One day I will get round to writing some proper instructions, I promise! :whistling:

Next is an overhaul of the card reader emulator and support for a new HDMI version of the LCD touchscreen plus an attract mode that uses the LCD screen to display an image/logo of the current running game. I need to fix my Naomi 2 first as it currently only runs Naomi 1 games, wish me luck!

Next is an overhaul of the card reader emulator and support for a new HDMI version of the LCD touchscreen plus an attract mode that uses the LCD screen to display an image/logo of the current running game. I need to fix my Naomi 2 first as it currently only runs Naomi 1 games, wish me luck!
Ah man, I don't envy you that! mine had the same issue and it turned out to be one of the GPU''s!
Way beyond my scope of repair!
However I do have a spare N2 if you need it to repair yours, and your a few junctions up the motorway.

No way! small world eh? and that's really kind of you, I'll let you know how I get on. Is your N2 totally dead then?

No way! small world eh? and that's really kind of you, I'll let you know how I get on. Is your N2 totally dead then?
indeed :)

Yes it's a dodo, it did work for a while as a N1 then totally gave up the ghost and wouldn't boot anymore, so it got put away and I got another one, but they seem to be getting harder to find these days.
So yeah as long as I can find it its yours for parts.

Hey all, I'm getting an error 34 when trying to use my netboot system. Here's a rundown of what I did thus far:

Here is what I have:

• Naomi 1 netboot
    • Multi BIOS installed
  • 3.17 Netdimm with 516 MB (Note: only has the ethernet port out, not the other ports on the side. I don't think that makes a difference)
    • Network settings:
      • Ether; Remote disabled; 192.168.1.2; 255.255.255.0
    • Dimm board test shows: everything is good
    • No zero key (have one on the way but from what I read in this thread, it seems like it is no longer needed?)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
    • Imaged with waali's image
    • Powered via Naomi CN12
I'm not sure what I should be seeing on the screen, but I don't see the wipi on my available networks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Paik

Hey all, I'm getting an error 34 when trying to use my netboot system. Here's a rundown of what I did thus far:

Here is what I have:

• Naomi 1 netboot
    • Multi BIOS installed
  • 3.17 Netdimm with 516 MB (Note: only has the ethernet port out, not the other ports on the side. I don't think that makes a difference)
    • Network settings:
    • No zero key (have one on the way but from what I read in this thread, it seems like it is no longer needed?)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
    • Powered via Naomi CN12
I'm not sure what I should be seeing on the screen, but I don't see the wipi on my available networks.

~Paik
You need to get the Pi booting from the SD card. Which screen are you using? Have you connected an HDMI display to watch the boot progress?

I think error 34 means the Naomi doesn't have the correct network IP/subnet/gateway configured.

Some dumb questions:
  1. You have a 'known good' Ethernet cable from the Pi to the net DIMM?
  2. You configured the jumpers inside the net DIMM for Ethernet mode; (arcadeotaku)? Maybe that is not a problem on your net DIMM since it only has the Ethernet port?

If you can't see the SSID chances are your card hasn't been written successfully, are you using Win32DiskImager? You won't get any output over hdmi, all output is hidden. When your Pi boots you should see green and red lights then flashing green when is boots. If you don't see that it's not booting properly.

Here is what I have:

• Naomi 1 netboot
    • Multi BIOS installed
    • Network settings:
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
    • Powered via Naomi CN12

~Paik
You need to get the Pi booting from the SD card. Which screen are you using? Have you connected an HDMI display to watch the boot progress?
I think error 34 means the Naomi doesn't have the correct network IP/subnet/gateway configured.

Some dumb questions:
  1. You have a 'known good' Ethernet cable from the Pi to the net DIMM?
  2. You configured the jumpers inside the net DIMM for Ethernet mode; (arcadeotaku)? Maybe that is not a problem on your net DIMM since it only has the Ethernet port?
If you can't see the SSID chances are your card hasn't been written successfully, are you using Win32DiskImager? You won't get any output over hdmi, all output is hidden. When your Pi boots you should see green and red lights then flashing green when is boots. If you don't see that it's not booting properly.
Yes, my jumpers are correct. I’ve tried several working Ethernet cables. From what I’ve read I think as long as it has Ethernet the net dimm should be okay.

I did use win32diskimager with waali’s image. I will reformat and re-image now. The pi does seem to boot since it does show steady red light and flashing green light when it starts (then green light stays off while red stays on).

The only really uncertain part is whether I need zero pic or not. No one has been able to answer my question on that.

~Paik

Sorry for the upside down images. They’re the correct way on my phone.

Quick update. I reformatted to FAT32 with mini tool partition wizard.

DCBA12DC-FD6D-4FF3-AD23-A000C4AADC1D.jpeg

when I try to image with win32 I did get this weird message. I said okay and it started writing.

62DB2B93-32E0-4799-8E76-B851171A7660.jpeg

and just to show my net dimm network setting.

A95FD1C9-F20A-48E3-A86B-268CEF57E701.jpeg

SD cards vary slightly in size between manufacturers, if you are writing the image to a smaller disk and waalis image is fully expanded you won't be writing the entire Linux partition and it won't work, hence no SSID visible. Best bet is to grab a card the same make as waali used or just set up from scratch using v5 of the image. I'm sure your netdimm is fine by the looks of the settings.

The only really uncertain part is whether I need zero pic or not. No one has been able to answer my question on that.
A missing zero key pic would not cause the issues you are reporting. And no, you don't need one if you configure the Pi to maintain the connection to the net DIMM. But I would suggest using a zero key pic in your net DIMM. It can only help with stability. I'm sure you would hate to reach the final boss in a game only for the Naomi to report, "Error, invalid key. Game not authorized."

SD cards vary slightly in size between manufacturers, if you are writing the image to a smaller disk and waalis image is fully expanded you won't be writing the entire Linux partition and it won't work, hence no SSID visible. Best bet is to grab a card the same make as waali used or just set up from scratch using v5 of the image. I'm sure your netdimm is fine by the looks of the settings.
That seemed to work, but I can't test it thoroughly since I don't have any .bin. But I can connect to it and the game list is empty. How big should those generally be? I am finding it hard to find a source any more. Most of the ones I find seem to have .bin files that are at most a few MB.

A missing zero key pic would not cause the issues you are reporting. And no, you don't need one if you configure the Pi to maintain the connection to the net DIMM. But I would suggest using a zero key pic in your net DIMM. It can only help with stability. I'm sure you would hate to reach the final boss in a game only for the Naomi to report, "Error, invalid key. Game not authorized."
Will do. I figure I already have it coming, so I will stick it on once it arrives.

Thanks,

~Paik

Back