What's new

Asure

Grand Master
Reaction score
Here's an early Christmas present!

Mega: https://mega.nz/file/PoYlUL5K#Sf_qNJAEKUbf_sMamU0bpBH6esZFFZkkx2usUvceflM
Alt: https://multiup.io/192f44a683c6c5cfe6de77ca447474e2

Midway did special versions for Payton and Griffey. This is that version. I've fixed up all the source and wrote my own tools to get the source to even compile properly.
This was quite a lot of work, i had to redo the tooling for the gfx roms to build properly.

1703030437468.png
1703030491037.png
1703030597091.png

This is all original. Nothing hex edited, hacked, whatever. This rom set never saw any arcades, and was only in Midway's offices and Paytons' and Griffeys' homes.

Enjoy! (And maybe i'll get nominated for all these Midway projects i did.)

Attachments

• 1703030715412.png
    1703030715412.png
    499.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
No Jordan? 😅 The urban legend is all 3 of them had the same special version with all 3 of them in it. I guess it was wrong.
Very cool regardless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-215724.png
    Screenshot_20231219-215724.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
No Jordan? 😅 The urban legend is all 3 of them had the same special version with all 3 of them in it. I guess it was wrong.
Very cool regardless.
It's in the readme

This is most likely the special version they made for Griffey and/or Payton.
Source came with Griffey head and mugshot GFX + ASM changes in it.
Payton is on a team, but now you can play as him with any other team. This wasn't an option in TE 4.0.
It's added as a special option for him, i can think of no other reason.

Turmell stated they had made (standard?) JAM for Payton and Jordan.
See https://web.archive.org/web/20090212194701/http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3668922
However, there is no Jordan in this source archive.
Maybe Payton upgraded to TE at some point and asked to be selectable?

It's unclear if in the interviews they mean Jam TE or normal Jam, i think they view it as the same game.

Tried this in MAME, no KGjr on any teams?
Is he unlockable?
Also in the readme:

Changes by Midway for TE SE 5.0:
------------------
It's got Ken Griffey Jr. as a hidden character in it. (GKG - FEB 4)
It's got Gary Payton as a hidden character in it. (GEE - JUL 23)

@Asure epic work man! Was the source released recently?

I cant get any of the download links to work on my phone. Just popups everywhere. So thanks for the cut and paste of the readme 😂

I cant get any of the download links to work on my phone. Just popups everywhere. So thanks for the cut and paste of the readme 😂
Yeah that was a lot of click cancer, even when I switched to desktop. The gofile one worked eventually

Here's an early Christmas present!

https://multiup.io/192f44a683c6c5cfe6de77ca447474e2

Midway did special versions for Payton and Griffey. This is that version. I've fixed up all the source and wrote my own tools to get the source to even compile properly.
This was quite a lot of work, i had to redo the tooling for the gfx roms to build properly.

1703030437468.png
1703030491037.png
1703030597091.png

This is all original. Nothing hex edited, hacked, whatever. This rom set never saw any arcades, and was only in Midway's offices and Paytons' and Griffeys' homes.

Enjoy! (And maybe i'll get nominated for all these Midway projects i did.)
Oh man, this is very cool, and yes you are going to get nominated!

Midway did all sorts of weird stuff back in the day. Custom rom sets, cabinets, prototype hardware, etc.
My partner arcade I work with recently bought out the remainder of their offices including the letters that hung off the studios.
It was a treasure trove of oddities, trophies, and promo.
We're still digging through it all.
Really cool of you to release this.
20221021_185245.jpg

@ekorz The source for this was released some time ago but it was not buildable.

Midway had a preasm tool that allowed super lazy routine names and just cutting and pasting code from other programs. It took some time to figure out how this was supposed to work. There a powershell implementation on my github.

Getting the images in properly also was a lot of trial and error and eventually I got Midways own image tool compiled and running in DosBox so we could at least see what's inside the img files when developing.

I should do a long technical blog someday, but all findings are documented in notes.txt files spread from Smash tv src up to Hangtime.
The end goal has always been Hangtime but it has a lot of files/data to link in and seems to require a specific version of the TI assembler which we don't have right now.

Midway did all sorts of weird stuff back in the day. Custom rom sets, cabinets, prototype hardware, etc.
My partner arcade I work with recently bought out the remainder of their offices including the letters that hung off the studios.
20221021_185245.jpg

That is sick, please share any cool finds!

It's in the readme

This is most likely the special version they made for Griffey and/or Payton.
Source came with Griffey head and mugshot GFX + ASM changes in it.
Payton is on a team, but now you can play as him with any other team. This wasn't an option in TE 4.0.
It's added as a special option for him, i can think of no other reason.

Turmell stated they had made (standard?) JAM for Payton and Jordan.
See https://web.archive.org/web/20090212194701/http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3668922
However, there is no Jordan in this source archive.
Maybe Payton upgraded to TE at some point and asked to be selectable?

It's unclear if in the interviews they mean Jam TE or normal Jam, i think they view it as the same game.

Also in the readme:

Changes by Midway for TE SE 5.0:
------------------
It's got Ken Griffey Jr. as a hidden character in it. (GKG - FEB 4)
It's got Gary Payton as a hidden character in it. (GEE - JUL 23)

@Asure epic work man! Was the source released recently?
READ THE MANUAL STUPID! Thanks! Got him running in TE on Mame now.
This is legendary.

20221021_185245.jpg
DAAAAAAMN

20221021_185245.jpg
If there are any documents regarding Texas Instruments, i need to know compiler versions they used. Hangtime is giving me a pain in the ass..

Back