What's new
I had a brian fart after christmas drinks when taking a crap.

Hangtime now compiles. Basically i'm using dosbox-x with more than 640KB of base memory and some tricks to stop it crashing.
This setup can now finally link the last game we have source for.

1703464139944.png

You'll understand if i take some time off normal NBA Jam and variants now i think. This game requires attention :)

Does this mean you can play Max Hangtime on Jam hardware now?
I need to do the math in roms, but the gfx are quite large so it will require the MK2 cpu board PAL/GAL upgraded or the sandwich pcb for that to happen.
I still don't think it fits. Too many gfx roms.

Then we need to upgrade rom space on the sound board too i think. There's quite a bit of sound.
I don't think it fits. Too many sound roms, and sacrifice a DCS board from MK2. I don't think so.

So that's a NO.

For new speech/music, we need to have a tool to extract the DCS sound roms and work with them.
Not something i have the time/skill for to do, it's a lot of work.

We can however, upgrade the game with new players/roster and stuff.
There may be hidden/disabled stuff that didn't make it into production. I did not have the time to look into the game code in absolute details and figure that out yet.

Max Hangtime 1.0 is now also building as an exact copy of production rom, with matching CRC and everything. There's some differences where players moved to other teams and got new shirt colors etc. But everything is now sorted out.

We can however, upgrade the game with new players/roster and stuff.
There may be hidden/disabled stuff that didn't make it into production. I did not have the time to look into the game code in absolute details and figure that out yet.

Is Hangtime better than JAM? I havent played hangtime...

gameplay, it's superior. honestly it's superior in every way. for my personal collection I have all 3 games. I sold gimmicky Maximum Hangtime.

I think Hangtime is superior in the same way I think UMK3 is superior to MK1 or 2. Same formula, just refined.

gameplay, it's superior. honestly it's superior in every way. for my personal collection I have all 3 games. I sold gimmicky Maximum Hangtime.

Curious, what's gimmicky about Maximum, or is it just the "sweet spot" or whatever they added?

The sweet spot sucks, it distracts from gameplay i think. OG Hangtime is perfection.
Max has Hotspots, Rookie college players if you meet some criteria, and it feels a lot more difficult.

From Jam to Hangtime is a great improvement imho. Finally we get double-dunks, alleyoops, team fire that lasts 30 seconds if you do three of these.
There's also a lot more players in the game (up to 5 per team) and if that's not enough, you can create your own player that gets points after winning games in a row.
You can sink those points into your speed/dunk/steal etc. skill. Editing a player costs money ofc.
Play TE? Didn't like they took out inf turbo? Hangtime has it! Super Duper smooth animations with lots of frames makes it look realistic.

I played this game more than Jam/TE with a friend and we could wipe the floor with the cpu in regular Hangtime. Max was a totally different story.
We had a Jam machine, i bought TE as an upgrade, and later Hangtime as another upgrade. Burned 2 MAX eproms and we converted it back after 2 days. Didn't like it.
As for dunks, i think TE has one extra vs Jam with the smoke trail and Tarzan yell, but Hangtime has a ton more of insane dunks with high energy.
And all of them animate very smooth too.

The whole thing is upgraded with sweet DCS sound. Too bad no Kitzrow announcer, but we got Niel Funk from the Bulls instead. I liked Kitzrow much better, Funk sounds like he is reading a script to a microphone.

Long story short, play Hangtime with a friend. Don't hog the ball, and you'll have a great time.

I can port some players from Jam/TE into this easily, but i need some ideas for this project. I'll make a topic for this next year.

I didn't even realize that the hot spots existed until I googled it yesterday, lol.

I'm just going to keep that box closed because I love hangtime, and don't want to add that element to it. [Maximum] Hangtime gets a lot of play in this house.

The sweet spot sucks, it distracts from gameplay i think. OG Hangtime is perfection.
Max has Hotspots, Rookie college players if you meet some criteria, and it feels a lot more difficult.

From Jam to Hangtime is a great improvement imho. Finally we get double-dunks, alleyoops, team fire that lasts 30 seconds if you do three of these.
There's also a lot more players in the game (up to 5 per team) and if that's not enough, you can create your own player that gets points after winning games in a row.
You can sink those points into your speed/dunk/steal etc. skill. Editing a player costs money ofc.
Play TE? Didn't like they took out inf turbo? Hangtime has it! Super Duper smooth animations with lots of frames makes it look realistic.

I played this game more than Jam/TE with a friend and we could wipe the floor with the cpu in regular Hangtime. Max was a totally different story.
We had a Jam machine, i bought TE as an upgrade, and later Hangtime as another upgrade. Burned 2 MAX eproms and we converted it back after 2 days. Didn't like it.
As for dunks, i think TE has one extra vs Jam with the smoke trail and Tarzan yell, but Hangtime has a ton more of insane dunks with high energy.
And all of them animate very smooth too.

The whole thing is upgraded with sweet DCS sound. Too bad no Kitzrow announcer, but we got Niel Funk from the Bulls instead. I liked Kitzrow much better, Funk sounds like he is reading a script to a microphone.

Long story short, play Hangtime with a friend. Don't hog the ball, and you'll have a great time.

I can port some players from Jam/TE into this easily, but i need some ideas for this project. I'll make a topic for this next year.
I remember when Jam looked amazing. it doesn't look so amazing now, but Hangtime still looks pretty fresh. I'm guessing Wolf unit's main advantage over T-unit is the storage capacity, they were able to have more animation frames. WrestleMania in particular has tremendous graphics and so does Hangtime. Open Ice was the one I wasn't very impressed with.

I was at a function in 2018 for what was NBA Jam's 25th anniversary where the devs all came to Chicago and I got to see some of the sheets with the original design notes. NBA Jam was supposed to have a 3D like mode for when you dunk (probably similar to Double Dribble). I'm glad they took that out. they also had a term for the parallax scrolling effect on the floor, I don't remember it now. Eugene Jarvis was the inspiration behind the "on fire" mode because he was a proponent for giving the player more power. there was a huge rift between Mark Turmell and Sal DiVita over implementing it, Sal was against it and wouldn't create the fire trail effects off the ball, so Mark apparently pulled the explosion graphics from Smash TV and did it himself.

I'm glad my grandpa was one of the super early adopters of that game. along with Mortal Kombat in 1993, those games changed my life.

Someone should try this in a normal Jam board hint hint #after-xmas-hidden-feature.
I think I will give this a try in a real NBA Jam Board this weekend, wonder if there are any hidden features?...

I used a comb on parts of the source code but didn't do a full diff. Security wise it was broken, only one part of it was disabled, the rest not. It wouldn't work as-is. Maybe this is just before they gave it to Griffey, or just before they added Jordan, and we didn't get that code.

thank you for this, and what an interesting story!

can anyone help me witht his link?
i cannot get it to download, just constant redirects or says i am banned, possible cause of my region, China
a mega link would be great and appreciated <3

thank you again

Back