What's new
I'm loving all the NBA Jam attention.

Got my custom NBA Jam cab with Riddled 8 way jamma switcher. Might just have to install NBA jam hangtime in it as well based on comments above.

I'm loving all the NBA Jam attention.

Got my custom NBA Jam cab with Riddled 8 way jamma switcher. Might just have to install NBA jam hangtime in it as well based on comments above.
Once we had hangtime installed at work, Jam never went back in. Only TE 2.0 got back in a few times as coworkers enjoyed the MK chars, but eventually all only player Hangtime. The coop gameplay items like double dunk and alleyoops are done very well and if you go back to jam/TE it feels like they are missing.

Fun fact, i think they saved these mechanics for Hangtime as there is an "alley oop' sound sample in test mode for TE.. but this feature is not implemented in TE at all.

You alley oop in Jam and TE by passing to a teammate already jumping towards the basket. They then have to use the shoot button after catching it to dunk. Obviously you need two human players on the same team to make it work.

You alley oop in Jam and TE by passing to a teammate already jumping towards the basket. They then have to use the shoot button after catching it to dunk. Obviously you need two human players on the same team to make it work.
Are you sure it's Jam and TE? I cannot start a dunk or 'jump towards the basket' (as if i have the ball) in these games.. The only two references to "alley" in the source code are commented, and the Alleyoop sound only plays in test mode. I think It's a red herring. You're describing Hangtime alleyoops exactly as i (ab)used them with human players in the arcade vs cpu.

What does happen is sometimes the player attaches to a rebound ball and dunks that quickly, in TE that could be seen as a alleyoop.

the alley oop was a new feature for Hangtime. or the double dunk. if you go to dunk in NBA Jam or Jam TE and pass, you just pass to the other player. they won't be coming up to dunk behind you. :) I honestly don't know the logistics of how it works in the Jams cause I've never tried it.

I remember doing alley oops on the snes version back in the day with my older cousin. I've never played the arcade version at all. Is it possible there's a Mandela effect from playing home versions? I'm thinking back then games really weren't ported from arcades to consoles and were essentially remakes/demakes to deal with limitations of consoles vs the superior arcade hardware of the day.

Yeah it might have been showtime I'm thinking of.

Back