What's new

DJLC

Professional
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to assemble parts for a Lightgun setup and I believe I have everything.

I am however getting nothing when I try to calibrate the guns. I believe I have the wiring correct and I can see the IR sensors on when I take a picture with my phone.

I am trying to do HOTD2 through netboot but I cannot get it to read anything. Anyone know where the best place to start troubleshooting?

My Gun Sensor board came from a HOTD3 partout and its a V8, Its set for 29 & 10 sensors (HOD). Any way to tell if my JVS IO has bad analog or if my Sense Board is bad?

What guns do you have?
I
sega_gun_01.jpg

This isn't my gun but this is the setup I have. I should have the IR Type 2 guns (9-Pin JST XH 838-14144 / JPT-2030 / OMJ-GZH200D)

I'll post close ups of my wiring since I had to redo some of it to adapt these guns to connect properly to the HOTD3 setup (AMP to MOLEX)

I see that's the picture from http://solid-orange.com/tag/light-gun ... so ok, you have the right gun and the right information !

his troubleshooting part is where I was going with that question:
Troubleshooting

The first thing you should check with the sensors is that the crimps are good on the Sensor connector. The original Sega gun harnesses were prone to have bad crimps from the factory, similarly the “gun hose” is one of the most abused part of a gun cabinet in the arcade, and the constant flexing will cause the wires to fail eventually. So verifying good continuity through all of the wires in the gun harness is a good first step.

Once you’ve verified that the wiring is good the next best step is to clean and polish the black plastic housing on the sensor. Dirt, scuffs, and scratches can can lead to tracking problems. Especially given that the sensor is generally what gets dirty and scuffed in an arcade environment. Due to the fragile nature of the sensor and the fact that it uses this shroud for mounting I would not recommend removing it other than for cleaning purposes. In really bad cases you can replace just the plastic housing.

Beyond making sure the plastic housing is clean and clear, there’s not much that can go wrong here aside in terms of component failure outside of the actual sensor part of the sensor, which to my knowledge is not available for sale anywhere. Unfortunately if something goes wrong with the sensor module your only real recourse is to replace it.

Perhaps most unfortunate is that the sensor module is the most common failure point in this system and it’s also the single most expensive part of the whole system as well.

The gun sense board has a smal power connector. Is that plugged in?

I am however getting nothing when I try to calibrate the guns. I believe I have the wiring correct and I can see the IR sensors on when I take a picture with my phone.
Do you have the led emitters wired in the proper sequence/physically in the right order?

Doe any of the values change at all in a gun calibration screen?

Is the trigger being pulled recognized?

Is there 2 harnesses going from gun board to io?

on the 29 <=> 50 setting..

29 = Mirrored Monitor cab (X-axis is inverted)
50 = direct view monitor (no axis inverted)

HOTD2 is a bad game to test with because the game did not work on Netboot for a LONG time so you may have an old/bad version. I would recommend Maze of the King as good test game

go into game test mode and do an input test. If the guns are tracking AT ALL you should see the "field out" "button" trigger on and off i the gun is point at or away from the screen. Similarly you should check if the triggers working. This will give you a good basic "is this hooked up right? check.

also keep in mind that the LED connector on the sense board is pinned backward from the LED board: https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...-front-projection-setup.627/page-2#post-32681

Last edited:
I followed all the information from twistedsymphony's articles and was able to get everything working. I would triple check everything you've done just to be sure.

If you have the 29/50 dip switched, it would only be inverted. I think you will have a problem with a mismatch between the hod and jp jumper and the number of IR LED boards you're using.

You connected the gun board to your JVS io right? What IO are you using? I think I tried mine with the Sega Type 1 as well as the Sega JAMMA io, and both work but it depends on the game. Some require outputs to be enabled iirc. The gun board just translates gun sensors into analog controls, there's no like communication between the two boards.

I also had a problem with the netboot version of HotD 2 I have. It just crashes and loops when you start or add coins. If someone wants to spoon feed me a working version I'd appreciate it.

Do you have the led emitters wired in the proper sequence/physically in the right order?

Doe any of the values change at all in a gun calibration screen?

Is the trigger being pulled recognized?

Is there 2 harnesses going from gun board to io?
Do I need both guns hooked up?

Also I cannot get the trigger to activate from shorting pins 1 and 2 for 7 pin connector for the gun. I can get trigger to show when shorting the cables going directly to the jvs io.

Is there a way to test the gun sense board? I think that may be my issue...

It will work with just one gun. Can you take a picture of the whole board to see how everything is connected?

It will work with just one gun. Can you take a picture of the whole board to see how everything is connected?

Will do Tonight, I also forgot to mention I had did a multimeter check from the sensor in the gun to the jst connector and all 7 wires were good. I have the gun protection board and the LEDs on it are on.

I bought the 2 gun boards without confirmation they worked but that may be where the issue lies. I'll doublecheck my wiring and give a diagram of how I believe its hooked up.

Attached should be all the photos of the custom wiring to the IT board. I haven't checked the continuity from the gun to the IR board but it's factory wiring from the AMP connector to the gun inputs.

Attachments

• 1000037202.jpg
    1000037202.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20240125_035525128.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035525128.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240125_035549916.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035549916.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240125_035556554.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035556554.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240125_035618385.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035618385.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240125_035639184.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035639184.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240125_035644722.jpg
    PXL_20240125_035644722.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 22
How do you have the gun sense board connected to the JVS IO?
I bought a hotd3 wiring setup and it's connected to a Type 1 JVS io and I've tried 3 different ones. The trigger input and out of range do work when jumpered with the connectors so those should work.

I can get pics of those as well if you'd like.

I bought a hotd3 wiring setup and it's connected to a Type 1 JVS io and I've tried 3 different ones. The trigger input and out of range do work when jumpered with the connectors so those should work.

I can get pics of those as well if you'd like.
That's probably the problem. I had a similar attempt using hotd 3 wiring and never got anything out of the guns using the hotd 3 gun board to gun cables into a hotd2 gun harness.
I never got anywhere using those parts and ended up buying a hotd2 cab(my boards used in previous attempt worked fine when tested in cab)
You might want to compare wiring diagrams and make alterations as needed.

That's probably the problem. I had a similar attempt using hotd 3 wiring and never got anything out of the guns using the hotd 3 gun board to gun cables into a hotd2 gun harness.
I never got anywhere using those parts and ended up buying a hotd2 cab(my boards used in previous attempt worked fine when tested in cab)
I will double check but I was able to make the trigger enable when I jumped the trigger to common wires for both players using the 9pin JST XH connector. According to both manuals, the pinouts are the same, minus the reload switch. However since we are running into the same issues, I'll tear apart the wiring and see what I can see...

FIGURED IT OUT!

The HOTD3 setup has a connection for a .5A fuse on the 12VDC rain to the guns. I didn't have that connected so my guns weren't firing!

That is most likely your problem, if you still have it, you can connect the red/white and red/black wiring together and it should be fine!

That is most likely your problem, if you still have it, you can connect the red/white and red/black wiring together and it should be fine!
I am glad you got it figured out but that's why I bought a cab 😉.

Back