What's new

Foxe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I've thought a lot about making this post. As some of you may know, I'm very new to Arcade stuff. I make that a point not to seem desperate for help, but to clarify what level of understanding I have when discussing this genre and hobby. I started off with a goal of getting just a couple systems simply working. Seeing the hard work people like Darksoft, RGB, Mitsurugi, Raph_Friend, Frank_fjs and countless others on this forum put into this craft I was inspired to look into a few of these systems. ArcSys101 reached out to sell quite a few of these pieces to me and really got the ball rolling in my new interest.

Let me start off by saying it is fair what ArcSys101 sold me. I purchased a Japanese CPS2 A and B board from him along with a Naomi 2 and Capcom I/O all with appropriate cables. Apart from some interesting conversations about things we had in common I can't say the interaction was bad in any way. He seems to come from a genuine place to sell the boards and resources he has. Communication was good, he uploads videos of his sales for the buyer to understand what they're receiving, and things seemed to be packed appropriately for shipment. Pricing to my untrained eye seemed good at the time. The videos for my purchases were uploaded quickly and gave me a good first start at understanding what I was getting into.

I definitely take partial blame in where the issues come in but let's get other things out of the way first. Compared to what I've seen from other CPS2 systems, the boards I received were relatively... dirty. It took quite a lot of IPA, time, and effort to get these to the point where dirt wasn't simply rubbing off on my hands. For the most part, that's fine. I clean up any console or retro item I receive. The A board was missing the external buttons for the volume controls and test menu. The super capacitor that handles saving system settings also seems to have died, a piece I'll be replacing soon, requiring the volume to be set on boot each time. These weren't things I was told about when buying the board. I also didn't fully understand that these even could be issues since I had never seen a CPS2 board in person before. Yes, pictures and videos online exist but you don't often notice these things until you have it in front of you.

The B board was just as dirty if not worse than the A board. Tons of dust/dirt to clean up which called into question the state of the board. I bought this board being told that it was a suicided Marvel Vs Capcom board, revision 7. This seemed like a perfect candidate, just as ArcSys101 said, for the Darksoft Multi that I had also bought (shout out to High Score Saves). I bought the board with the understanding that I was buying it as is, untested. This was my mistake, definitely. It turns out, the board does not produce sound. I've cleaned the contacts, checked every trace that looked suspiciously corroded, checked for bad capacitors but I just can't figure it out. The dirtiness being a huge issue seems to really show up with poor traces throughout the board which probably means it's not long to live even in the state it's in. When I did have the multi installed, it also ran in a degraded state, with the game slowing down over time to a crawl. With the help of other great people on this forum, I bought an infinikey to revive the original board and got some incredibly patient troubleshooting help as well. Marvel Vs Capcom runs... okay on it's own without sound. Having tested everything with other known working boards from friends in the area, it's just a shame to see the items from ArcSys101 not working and in this condition.

Next up, the Naomi. The contacts on the outside are pretty dirty, but the internals and PCB itself seem perfectly fine. I have some pretty bad video noise but apart from that (which I think is the cable) I have no issues to report. The Capcom I/O also works as expected but again is a bit dirty. Thankfully he also sent cables to get it tested and working as soon as I could.

All in all, I think this is fair to say that there's more that could have been done from ArcSys101 to ensure the boards he was selling me were in the condition he described. Either that, or the issues I've described above could have been diagnosed before being sold. Ultimately, it's my responsibility for buying an untested board that was claimed to be suicide instead of being non-functional. To that extent, I suggest anybody buying to really understand what they're getting. I'm appreciative for the items that work and would just ask for a bit more effort from both buyer and seller here.

Sorry for the really long winded post but I wanted to write out my thoughts in a respectful way that hopefully helps any new members as well. Given that the MVC CPS2 board is the only non functional thing and that I bought it as untested (despite being claimed suicided), I'm not sure if I should ask for a refund.

Either way, learn from my mistakes. While I've learned a lot from the great people here diagnosing and troubleshooting these boards, at the end of the day I don't have a system that works. There's a lot of different pieces and making sure they're all playing nice can be daunting.

Thanks for reading, and sorry, I tend to write a lot...

Have a look here ....https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/negative-feedback-for-arcsys101-several-issues.14731/

problem is if you are new to this game, You won’t see any issues As fast then a guy who collected this stuff for many years and even done some repairs.

He should have stated any issues that where with it. If he left out “or forgot to say.....” Then he should fully return that pcb and the shipping costs or make a deal with you where you feel oké with.

Last edited:
Well, it kinda sucks, he could have definitely explained things a bit better in more detail knowing that you were new to these systems.

If you end up staying with the boards, the only thing I will say is wash the crap out of them with hot water from the tap. Use either simple green or krudd kutter and brush clean and rinse well, blow off extra water with compressed air and dry them in the oven at 170-175 for 2 hrs and let cool overnight in the oven. Then go to town plugging everything in. I would reseat the boards decased, make sure all pins are good on chips, and interconnects, not bent, not corroded, etc.. and retest.

I have had a few boards glitched, etc, with dirt on them that has basically poured out of the case. I have managed to get them back working without issues after a proper washing/cleaning and installing an Infinikey.

If you still need CPS2 boards I have some to sell with infinikeys installed.

Did your board look like this :D
this one cleaned up nicely, just remove any socketed components and batteries before washing.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I just clean dust off the boards like the cps2 a/b boards

Clean jamma pins

Removed atleast the moisture wet sticky dust thru age of cps2 in some dusty storage in previous sellers

Suicide Cps2 b-board that died on me had been stored and removed battery for leakage prevention

I don't know how to unsoldering things I'm partially blind left eye to young age stroke.
I really have a lot 20pcs of A-Boards new ones without do sounds and tested or done the down/up button to reset the sound no good so i stored them for future who can replace the square capacitor or something

Cps2 A-Boards all of it has sounds before i shipped them test abd burn test like a 10hour with a game

@Foxe he already not stated that he seen the video working with sound with a mvc and xmenvsf tested , the A-board he know and i said it has no side buttons said ok

Sega Naomi2 Board Cleaned but not as good as you stated that i cant remove the scratches in the case and the filter board discoloration due to AGE again , if you opened up the naomi 2 you can see its a fresh board without any damage or anything

Capcom i/o board same that i just brush off the dust and removed the sticky moisture build in the board

And i know you do know repairs in consoles and other things but before shipping the naomi stuff and cps2 as good as possible

Remember i can't or do not wash the boards and as you said a first timer in stuff and it's like experiment to do stuff that i can do

Well still i thank you for your thoughts Brother

Seems the last of my cps2 and naomi is for the events use only for future fighting community

@derick , that's the worst to sell a very cleaned outside cps2 board and Mars People in the inside because of the dust

As for future stuff i have a lot of brand new cps2/cps3 things and other new boards in the shelf

Just helping not overpriced and for having some new friends here Negative or Positive feedback you are all still my Brothers here and making a happy ending in sorting out some PROBLEMS

Like Admins Said To Me, We All Wanted You Here And Sort Things Out And Make A Happy Ending

God Bless Everyone

@derick

I have atleast 20brand new cps2 sets with boxes still in battery for future usage

And what a very dirty board than mine you have 8o

@ArcSys101 if you made everything clear to him before you sold it . And he said oké also on the missing buttons then all should be oke. Don’t think there is a big problem here @ArcSys101 @Foxe that you can t work out . Stay save people and enjoy the games!!

Let me be clear since I think you may have missed a few things @ArcSys101. It's not the A board that has an issue with sound apart from what appears to be a dead super capacitor which I believe holds the volume setting between boot. I confirmed that today with a friend's known working Marvel Superheroes B board. Game played perfect, sound and all. The Marvel Vs Capcom however does not produce sound in the exact same set up. It also does not produce sound when paired with the same friend's known working A board. There's also nothing in our DMs about the side buttons on that A board. I know you sell quite a few, so you may be confusing my sale with another user's? The only indication that the side buttons might not be there was one picture you had of a stack of A boards with some of the buttons missing, no indication of which one you would be selling me.

Thankfully there's quite a few 3D printed replacements out there that I can at least make due with I guess?

I would also suggest in the future doing some more thorough testing on your B boards before selling them as suicided. The B board I received from you pretty clearly has some more problems besides a dead battery including some very questionable traces. Thankfully they still buzz for continuity, but some more detailed pictures as you sell future boards will definitely help your buyers.

I will 3D print you those buttons and include them in your package that you bought from me.that will help you out I hope. Even tho its not my problem. There are to many issues in the world right now so we all need to help each other.

Anyway good luck fellas try to work things out

Well sorry about the cps2 set brother and a suicide one , well if in the future as you seen my stuff we can still work it out and have sone discount and disclose things ok Brother?

Well it was suicided, but that wasn't the issue. No sound is the problem that confuses me the most. No buzzing or scrambled noise at all like I would have otherwise expected. I might consider giving Derick2k's method of washing it a go to see what that does but the thought of washing anything even remotely electronic just terrifies me. I'll look into that more later. Like I said in the original post, in fairness you said
If you need this and as is basis only no warranty buyers compatibility is your responsibility

it's a suicided marvel vs Capcom b-board and a working aBoard
Which I took to mean that you considered it a suicided board with no other issues but it's still provided untested.

As for other stuff in the future, I'm not so sure. I think there was a lot that could have gone better here. Had I been able to see more clearly the board and the shape it was in, I probably would have considered something else. In the threads I opened asking for help on this, others were pretty quick to notice what looked like very poor traces. The videos you upload are great for showing the right things working but I would suggest getting some higher quality pictures of the board to send out to buyers.

The Naomi seems to be working well though! Like you said, the PCB inside is very clean. The contacts on the outside, certainly not so much, but these are less critical I would think. I'm hoping the VGA port isn't the cause of the noise I'm seeing though. Haha.

@Foxe

Actually this is a good feedback thread and ask some sellers if a aging board have some broken corroded traces.

Well it's fine and goodluck in you arcade collecting adventures

Back