What's new

King of Dirt

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got an issue with my AES and maybe someone has seen something similar before. It's a 3-5 version of the console, and it's been recapped and it's got an RGB bypass installed. It powers up fine, the video quality looks good, but for whatever reason the video signal out can be intermittent at best and non-existent at worst. It doesn't appear to be a sync issue, either; any time I get the black screen on the monitor or capture card, the OSSC reports that it still has a solid sync signal coming in (green light, no yellow/red light).

And when I say it's intermittent at best, most of the time games are playable with a quick signal loss/cut to black screen for just a second or two and it's right back. When it's non-existent the screen cuts to black and, oddly, the audio out becomes garbled and static-filled (but according to the OSSC there is still sync during these extended signal losses). Sometimes the signal comes back from these longer cut-outs if I wait long enough, otherwise switching to a different profile/input and then back on the OSSC usually restores the video signal and normal audio out. Then it's just back to periodic and brief video loss.

Below is a video of what I am talking about. One of the major video signal losses happens at about 2:17. I swap profiles and back on the OSSC and that's what restores output. An example of the brief signal loss happens at 4:30, and a few more times after that. Sorry for the unimpressive gameplay, I was focused more on capturing the video and hoping it would show what I am trying to diagnose.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I realize it could be a lot of issues, but I figured maybe someone has dealt with something similar on an AES and could point me in the right direction. And even if not, any ideas for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks for helping out!

Sync signals on MVS/AES can be a little odd at times. I've had my MVS systems "lock up" my OSSC on occasion, requiring a power cycle on it to bring it back. I'm tempted to say this is just an issue with the OSSC, but it could be something else.

It's your capture card and/or TV. What are you using to capture?

The OSSC isn't great for making signals compatible with capture cards, since it just passes through the sync and uses odd resolutions. You'll have better luck with a Framemeister or Retrotink 5X for this because they both have an option to replace the sync signal with a standard one, and they both output standard 1080p.

Back