What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I get this right, as soon as you switch the NG on, it loads all slots into the Ram!?
If so, will there be an option to skip this (e.g. if you dont wanna play any of the loaded games)
or just prefer "flash n play"!?
yes and yes.
Nice to hear - and I guess there will also be the possibllity to auto load a specific slot (and ONLY that ONE) and skip the menu, right?
To let it almost act like a single game cart, if wanted.

Functionally it looks like a freaking powerhouse. I can't believe how fast and smooth you have the loading going already. Well done. The menu system will be completely customizable eventually, correct? I'd personally rather have a less-animated EverDrive-like vertical text list, but I realize the menu design is taking a back seat to getting the hardware and firmware perfected right now.

Edit: Apparently I was writing this as Mitsu was posting. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for the GUI :D
I have to agree with SmokeMonster here, there should be an option for a less animated, more Everdrive-esque vertical list menu. To me, it seems like all the time you gain over the NeoSD from having games instantly load into ram is lost by having to horizontally scroll through 200+ logos to find the game you want.

That said, the key selling point for this over the NeoSD isn't the game loading time, but rather the fact that the Darksoft cart acts like a multi-slot.

Last edited:
I actually quite like the fancy menu - it makes it feel a little more premium than other competing products. I love the four-slot ability.

congrats... I am on fire:) a simple text menu option would be cool.. I second the overdrive comment.

What are the three games?

It still looks like it's saying CD to me but it's not like that's a deal breaker.

It looks amazing.

Amazing work :thumbup:

Always a perfectionist, with everything you do DS!!!

Bravo!!!

I would also appreciate an option to use ugly (but fast) menu. I am not bothered at all by white text over black background, but if the time I gain on flashing is lost on animations and such stuff, I get bothered. Fast is where this cart seems to be, let's allow it to be fast. Also, the vertical list of games is a must. Even the 161-in-1 has it.

A few thoughts on this. Thanks for the vids!

Is there a games list of the 264 games supported?

For those who would like the fast and dirty text menu games list, this would be a great option for people who already know what game they want to play. Although, this is where the 4-slot option comes into play. Load up your 4 favorite games and play away.

The slower scrolling menu (compared to a text list) is great for people not familar with the Neo-Geo catalog of games. Seeing the logo and details about the game is really helpful for picking a game.

As for the vertical list of games, similar to the 161 in 1, this is a good idea as well. Would be cool to have the animated list also available in vertical scroll mode as an option. (down the road of course)

As far as the key selling points debate, this has 4 slots AND fast loading, so everybody wins!

And as for Darksoft going the extra mile, the way I see it is Darksoft is just doing it the right way, and the other guys are SKIPPING the last mile... :D

What are the current games that don't work? Do homebrew games like Gunlord work?
As for the menu, having a filter option might make it viable for people who know exactly what they want to play beforehand, and don't want to scroll though a bunch of 2D fighters. Other than that, having option for a simplified text menu like the 161 in 1 cart has might be better as well.

What are the current games that don't work? Do homebrew games like Gunlord work?
As for the menu, having a filter option might make it viable for people who know exactly what they want to play beforehand, and don't want to scroll though a bunch of 2D fighters. Other than that, having option for a simplified text menu like the 161 in 1 cart has might be better as well.
NG:DEV.TEAM games are not supported
This have been already discussed

Although I love all the work you have put into the menu, I'm hereby pleading once again for the option for a text menu similar to this:

dipswitches.gif

:)

Back to work after the weekend, suffering severe Monday morning blues, but that all disappeared when I started to watch the uploaded videos.. :)

i-don-t-like-it-i-love-it-3.jpg

Please add a quick and dirty vertical menu 8x8 font, I can't stomach how slow this menu is...

It basically destroys the advantage of faster loading times.

Let's calm down on the menu front guys. Give the man a chance to get everything working with the cart first. Once that's done we can worry about the menu. If it was a plain text menu people would complain and want a graphical wonder... and vice versa.
^THAT^
The simple text menu is gonna happen soon but first we need to polish this one to the end.

As long as the system remembers between power cycles the last (at least) 4 favourites, then do the menu as fancy and complex (but at the same clean) as possible.

I don't know what you guys do with your PCBs or Carts, but switching your Carts/PCBs on a daily/weekly basis sounds like crazy stuff (sounds more like console gaming).

For the "crazy ones" a "favourites" management system is all you need.

IMHO :)

Please do a Everdrive style menu, auto boot/reset and easy fw update from the beginning. no swd and soldering wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back