What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is mostly political. Here's a few topics regarding this:

Darksoft can't pre program the games on the hardware because it would expose him to prosecution by the actual owners of the content in the games. (SNK, for example)

It has been decided that the cartridge won't attempt to bypass copy protection measures made by NGDEV or other homebrew/indie developers.

It has been decided that it's not worth the hassle of the increased complexity caused by implementing the full decryption as it's possible to play the games decrypted.

There's NO PROGRAMMABLE FLASH solution for NEO-GEO yet. That alone makes "it worthwhile".

There's no need to impress anyone yet, if the mere existence of the cart is a feat by itself.

I think a lot of the moaning about DarkSoft's cart is totally unfounded considering the amount of other SD carts that are available now. There will always be pricks who bleat on about how it's not real if you're not using the original carts, or if it's cracked/patched/fiddled with - normally the same people who belittle anyone who DARES to use emulators. Miserable fucks!

At the end of the day, it's the customers choice. If there wasn't a demand then people like krikzz, SainT and DarkSoft wouldn't bother. There is demand - owners of retro systems want them. So what if some people turn their noses up to it? Fuck em. And let the rest of us buy our SD carts in peace.

That moaning is related to how a lot of people profit with the commerce of Neo Geo collectibles.

This kind of device (flash cartridges) reduce the demand for the rarer retail releases drastically, as it deals a huge blow on the "artificial scarcity" of the item, which in turn reduces prices at online auctions.

That's the main reason for all the bickering.

The NeoGeo flash cartridge is a product that should have been made years ago.

The Razoola name is very famous because of the unibios, wich everyone should face is a fantastic project.

There's a similar drama at atari age when people talk about a flash cartridge for the Atari Jaguar.

Oddly enough there's no drama for the Atari 7800 flash cartridge in progress.

Since NeoGeo is the ultimate expensive console the flash cartridge targets some real rich people's collecion.
Just like MVS is seem by some people as an inferior product compared to the AES, wich is stupid.
The MVS system, like 2 slot model has everything you would want for the NeoGeo system and more.

I like the AES style and art but the MVS is actually the real deal.

That moaning is related to how a lot of people profit with the commerce of Neo Geo collectibles.

This kind of device (flash cartridges) reduce the demand for the rarer retail releases drastically, as it deals a huge blow on the "artificial scarcity" of the item, which in turn reduces prices at online auctions.

This certainly didn't happen with NES/SNES. I see no reason it would happen with MVS. CPS2 prices are booming since the multi came around.

Most AES collectors only collect due /to/ the scarcity/high prices like it's some sort of status symbol, and so I can't imagine it will affect them any.

The Razoola name is very famous because of the unibios, wich everyone should face is a fantastic project.
I was unaware he had anything to do with the unibios. I thought he is only well-known because of his CPS2 phoenixing work (as would be suggested by his website's name).

There is no doubt that the CPS2 decryption work and Uni-bios work by Razoola was great work. However, he is not the god he (and others) thinks he is and he is the person causing all of the drama towards Darksoft and I over at the Neo forums.

I respect his work but I do not respect him. He is an asshole of the biggest degree and I will never kiss his ass. I'll tell you that right now.

As I said before the only reason I will thank him is because without him these forums would not exist.

I voted flash.
Noooooo...You should have voted FPGA, jk. At the end of the day whatever Darksoft releases I will buy it because it will be the best option, the only option really. The rest of the multi carts out there are just not worth it. I bought the 161-1 cart and I wanted to smash it after using only a few minutes, the menu and its functionality is just garbage and the like 500 other variants of games is just stupid. It really is a useless thing. I gave that cart to my son play with it.

I voted flash.
Noooooo...You should have voted FPGA, jk. At the end of the day whatever Darksoft releases I will buy it because it will be the best option, the only option really. The rest of the multi carts out there are just not worth it. I bought the 161-1 cart and I wanted to smash it after using only a few minutes, the menu and its functionality is just garbage and the like 500 other variants of games is just stupid. It really is a useless thing. I gave that cart to my son play with it.
I've got the one with the extra PCB where you can remove games from the menu (Super 138-in-1). It's OK, I guess. I'm not a NEO-GEO fanatic, so I can't say if there are issues from the original games, but apart from some titles missing and the loading times, I think it's great.

So after looking through some posts I want to ask that will the multicart perform exactly same as the original carts? I mean the same quality PCM sound, no loss in graphics quality etc? just asking as then I will sell off my MVS carts to raise money for this... :) Would be nice for development purposes..

Man collectorfags are so silly. Have flashcarts ever driven the price of original carts down? I'd imagine they bring more popularity to the hobby which would eventually increase demand for the actual carts as new collectorfags are born.

Man collectorfags are so silly. Have flashcarts ever driven the price of original carts down? I'd imagine they bring more popularity to the hobby which would eventually increase demand for the actual carts as new collectorfags are born.
I sure don't agree with the point of view from those hardcores. I even mod/hack games, remove regional restrictions and change things that I feel that should not be there. (lol sound test timers are silly and people making games should feel bad about putting those in games. Yes I am talking about you too, Konami)

So after looking through some posts I want to ask that will the multicart perform exactly same as the original carts? I mean the same quality PCM sound, no loss in graphics quality etc? just asking as then I will sell off my MVS carts to raise money for this... :) Would be nice for development purposes..
Heh heh, that's what I'm planning to do. The flashcart will end up costing me very little because I'm gonna sell off my MVS carts when I get my hands on it. I don't really have any feeling of attachment to the physical carts. The only 2 exceptions to this are my Final Fantasy 3 and Chrono Trigger carts, because they contain my 20 year old savegames. Even that feeling of attachment has weakened a bit now because I recently backed up the saves using a Super UFO Pro 8.

Collectorfags. I've never heard that term before but I like it. Being a Brit "fag" means something different to me than it would to an American. Thus Collectorfag sounds to me like a cigarette that hoards.

Collectorfags. I've never heard that term before but I like it. Being a Brit "fag" means something different to me than it would to an American. Thus Collectorfag sounds to me like a cigarette that hoards.
All good guys. It was a misunderstanding. Let's not deviate from the topic.

Wow. You stop watching a thread for a month or two, and things go bonkers. Super surprised at the potential $400 or less cost. I was willing to pay $1000 for an EverDrive like thing, but I'm not complaining.

This really is the burning question isn't it, and I'm guessing this is what darksoft is trying to minimize? Maybe someone in the know could elaborate on this. I doubt that any of the differences will matter to anyone outside of the "m'neogeo elite" but it would be nice to see what to expect.

I'm thinking of selling off my DVR inside a jaguar shell to raise funds for the flashcart. Do you think i'll have enough?

Darksoft, correct me if I am wrong.

I dont believe Darksoft alters the game roms in anyway that would change the visual, audio, performance qualities in any way. All his kits play on original arcade hardware. He creates the awesome hardware and software that allows you to play the original games from one source/cart/memory; however you want to term it, hence making a multi kit/cart. So, I dont see what would change in the games?! Besides the roms/files maybe being decrypted?! Now, there could be more to it than my simple explanation, and I am sure there is, but in the end does it matter?

We have awesome multi kits that play on original arcade hardware as the originals do, what more can we ask for?! Except.....for more multikits for other systems :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back