What's new

AlxUnderBase

Champion
Reaction score
SD card new out of the package. Do I format for fat32? I assume I just download a roll up pack and go?
Yes sir . Just format as a FAT32 and you're good to go ! CPS2 Complete MAME Add-On Pack it's what you need for who fits in 16gb sd card. Cheers ^^

G0nz0

Beginner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It worked like a champ other than the CLOCK pad just lifting off the board and breaking. I took a magnifier and slowly connected another wire just enough trace out from under the chip to get to. I had it to tie it all back to the blank header connector. If I'd paid more attention I would have used it to start with instead of that TP that close to the chip. Either way it's working :)

It's awesome!!

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Good idea but some people that installed it have also lifted pads. There is no perfect solution currently though the quick solder PCB is super awesome.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Good idea but some people that installed it have also lifted pads.
Really? I haven't heard of any cases of this. I'm curious how it would even be possible to lift pads with my QSB.
flame-thrower1.gif

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Its here on the site. Lol. I'll try to find it. He tried to remove it after he installed it. Point is nothing is 100% foolproof. :P

XianXi

Professional
Reaction score
I haven't gotten much sleep lately due to the extended kid vacation so please bear with me.

I'm attempting to update one of the first multis, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

First I need to download and add the new bootloader to the SD? Then add the 4 new games to the SD as well in the games folder.

Run it so it updates the firmware then add the 4 wires ((Rev7)while removing SWD5)to the 4 signals to CN9, then test with one of the 4 new games? Correct or am I missing anything? Thanks in advance.

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
Nope that's exactly right. The only issue will be if you have one of the early devices that needs the bootloader updated with the discovery programmer.

Make sure all wires are disconnected during firmware upgrade too.

XianXi

Professional
Reaction score
Nope that's exactly right. The only issue will be if you have one of the early devices that needs the bootloader updated with the discovery programmer.

How do I tell if it's the "discovery" version?

KalessinDB

Grand Master
Reaction score

IIRC, updating the bootloader via SD card causes the file to delete itself, so if yours doesn't delete itself when you try to update it, that will be your clue.

If it's from the very first batch and you haven't updated (I had Mitsu update mine when I got the crackle fix done) then you'll need the programmer.

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I recently did this.

Ensure key writing wires are NOT connected.

Download flash.zip and place contents into a blank SD card.

Power on multi. The LCD will display a message along the lines of "updating from SD...". Once finished, power off and remove SD. If successful the flash file will have been deleted. Now copy / paste the SmokeMonster rom pack to SD, connect key writing wires and enjoy.

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score

If it was purchased before a certain date (I want to say January 2016?) then it needs the bootloader updated with a hardware programmer

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
IIRC, updating the bootloader via SD card causes the file to delete itself, so if yours doesn't delete itself when you try to update it, that will be your clue.
One thing is the bootloader and another one is the Firmware.

If you have one of the very first kits, then chances are that you still have an old Bootloader. Why is it important to have the new bootloader? Because then, you can upload a new Firmware via microSD and you don't need the Discovery anymore.

Simple test. Put a new firmware in the microSD and see if it's deleted. If that's the case, then your Bootloader is good. If it's not, then you need to updated with a discovery.
If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure that @Mitsurugi-w can help on that for a small amount.

XianXi

Professional
Reaction score
ok so I put both bootloader and flash in the root, Booted it up, didn't see a new firmware message though but it loaded up the last game flashed. Let me know if that's correct before I boot it with the 4 wires added on this Rev7. I wasn't sure if I had to use a blank SD or just use the same one with the Game folder on it.

Oh and bootloader deleted itself on the SD but flash is still there.

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
what is the name of the firmware file? Flash.img? It should also be deleted

Repeat the process again only with the new Firmware and see if the file is deleted. If that's the case then you can install the wires.

The only problem comes if you upgrade firmware WITH the cables installed. If there is no firmware files in the microSD, then nothing will be updated and you'll be OK.

XianXi

Professional
Reaction score
Will it delete the flash file even if its the same firmware already on the hardware? Yes, flash.img