What's new
I think the best question to ask yourself is why you want to run a TTX3? There are legit reasons to do so, but for most people you'll have a better experience just running the Steam ports on a PC. By and large the home versions are better and less hassle, the days of the arcade versions being superior are basically gone. And you get all the flexibility of the PC for everything else it can run.

Or, to put it another way, what games are you trying to play? Start there, and then we can guide you on the best path for the best experience for them. It's better to choose the games than the platform imo.

In my experience hooking a PC to a cabinet is a pain. Even when you get it all running you end up spending more time tinkering with it then playing it.

TTX3 so far seems cheaper to buy than to build a PC with all the gpu prices being crazy. Now I don't mind having a PC inside but if I wanted to have the near-perfect arcade experience I can go with the TTX3 and if I wanted to swap hds that has steam on it?

I am considering the 2player cab from KC; Chewix for $1300; if I wanted to go the PC route; what would I need to buy for it to work? it looks like I just need a Brook Zero Pi (2 for 2 players right?)

I was aiming for the TTX3 cause of the multi-image; now if I'm able to use the multi-image and run steam at the same time now that would be great

In my experience hooking a PC to a cabinet is a pain. Even when you get it all running you end up spending more time tinkering with it then playing it.
In my experience it's very easy, and how I run my Vewlixes. Just as a counterpoint, not to undercut your personal experiences.

I used to try and run a fancy front end, had Launchbox installed etc. It was sort of a pain. I realized I didn't give a shit and just use Steam big picture now, I really don't care about anything but playing games with people. Showing off a fancy loader doesn't matter to me. That's imo the real time suck, getting overly obsessed with window dressing. I run Steam, I buy games with it, we play them. That's it.

I've run my weekly arcade night for years, on any given night it's very rare to switch games even once, and if we do it's a quick swap over to the one people actually wanted to play that night and we leave it after that. 99% of the time it's just the game running, and Steam makes it easy.

if I wanted to go the PC route; what would I need to buy for it to work? it looks like I just need a Brook Zero Pi (2 for 2 players right?)
Pretty much. Again, what are you trying to play? You don't need a nice GPU for any arcade titles really. SFV for instance (TTX4, won't run on your TTX3) will happily run at 60fps with all effects maxed out at the 1080p those Chewlixes run at on a GTX 970 from years ago.

Probably the most intensive game I would play on the cabinet is Injustice 2, SFV, and Tekken 7; I was going to get a cheap 1650 and stick in a PC if I went the PC route but I'm trying to minimize the extra steps needed to set it up;

I was going to get this if I went the pc route: https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Com...&pd_rd_wg=aJIFr&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m (possibily 2 for 2 players or is one board enough?)

Where did you get a Chewlix that comes with a gtx 970? KC's chewlix only comes with a jamma board and pandoras box I believe?

The only reason why I would go the TTX3 route is for the multi-image; slap it on and leave it be;

so if I went PC Route: All I need to connect the controller to the PC is just the brook board I linked right? Snap in a pc and that's dandy?

Otherwise if I went the TTX3 route; I would need an io board to connect to the TTX3 right? which may or may not be cheap

Where did you get a Chewlix that comes with a gtx 970?
I didn't, I have real Vewlixes and I built my own PC for them. This was pre-pandemic, but the PC build was about $500, I purposefully kept it cheap. Now I dunno what it would cost, supply chain stuff sucks. But the principle is the same for a Chewlix. It's a monitor and some controls on a shelf and some speakers at the end of the day. For running a PC you just plug it into the monitor and the amp, and wire the controls to a Brook that you plug in via USB. There's not much else to it.

If you want to run arcade stuff in it you need to have the right I/O and it's more complicated depending on what you're running, but for a PC it's that simple.

I'll be honest, I consider the TTX3 a total waste of time. I get it, you think it's an easy way to get a bunch of free games, and that's cool. You do whatever makes you happy, that's all that matters, but a PC is such a superior platform, especially if you already have interest in Injustice 2, SFV, and Tekken 7.

TTX PCs are garbage, and the home experience isn't all that. There are some exceptions, but in general that's just basically the truth.

TTX PCs are garbage, and the home experience isn't all that. There are some exceptions, but in general that's just basically the truth.
Harsh, tho I agree.
You'll be better off IMO with a mid-level PC and @invzim JVSPAC2 (yes I recommend keeping cabs JVS native).

This is my MAME rig...
rxIlGSr.jpg

Intel Build
Case:Bench ATX
Fan:Noctua NH-L9i Chromax.Black Low-Profile CPU Cooler
PSU:Antech 530 Watt ATX 80 Plus Gold PSU
MB:ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha LGA 1151
CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 8M 4.0GHz LGA 1151
RAM:G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 3866
GPU:EVGA GT 1030 SC Low-Profile
Storage:SAMSUNG 950 PRO m.2 512GB

I actually thought about just getting a random dell optiplex and putting in a low profile gpu in there lol. yeah ill probably go PC

Harsh, tho I agree.
There are some modern arcade experiences that transcend their operating hardware. Anything with special controls mostly, rhythm games etc.

But at least in my mind the 'magic' of staying authentic to arcade hardware basically vanished once they switched over to standard (and somewhat shitty) embedded Windows boxes. They're just PCs, there's nothing really custom or hard to duplicate like the PCB era. Or even sexy to hold in your hand for that matter. You don't need them to get better input lag for instance. If anything the arcade versions are sometimes worse! Sad state of affairs really.

If you're after a high level of authenticity I certainly respect it. (Though with everything networked these days it's hard to even get that.) But if you just want a cab to play on, and you're open to any model including a Chewlix, that basically goes out the window. At the point you should just focus on the actual playing experience being the best.

PCBs are the best way to play old games. Maybe not the easiest or cheapest, but they are the best. Crummy arcade PCs aren't.

The home port of SFV is better than the arcade version. The home port of Tekken 7 is better than the arcade version. There is no arcade port of Injustice 2. Something like 90% of the TTX games have home ports that are all as good, if not better. The only game I can think of that's actually of consequence that doesn't is TGM3. Maybe there are a couple more, and if you want them, cool. I'm just saying, in general that's how it goes.

Anyone looking at buying a TTX3 should consider the ALLS UX instead... it's going for $100 more on Yahoo JP Auction (under $300 preship) for way better specs. Just use it as a PC w/ Steam like Aurich and I have suggested here. You'll also get whatever online play the Steam games come with. They are superior versions to the arcade rips. To me, the TTX3 hardware is just a really really old PC that's a mess to upgrade to make it bearable. The form factor is the biggest selling point. You might as well get a PC that's more modern and flexible that fits in the same space.

And if you really want to play the TTX3 games you can use whatever PC loader anyways.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closed...tf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=alls+ux&x=0&y=0
Several closed listings under $300.
i5-6500
16GB Ram
1070GTX
Typically 2SSD's included you can reformat if you don't want to keep the ALLS UX software

I expect these won't stay affordable for long considering that's less than the value of the included GPU itself. The ALLS UX hardware will still get dated at some point but at least you'll have a better experience in the meantime.

That's all the advice I've got for you, these are things I wish I knew when I got in. I view it pretty much the same as Aurich. Of course, what matters to you and what doesn't is also a big personal preference that will develop over time and I respect that.

Most of all, have fun and try not to kill your wallet on hidden costs.

1641171073037.png

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going the PC route; I been meaning to build a SFF anyways so I'll just stick in the Vewlix (or Chewlix) with some Brook boards loaded with a front end loader and it be gucci; How are APUs these days? I have an extra 570 that is beast for most fighting games in 1080p but wonder how fare APUs are

I don't recommend Brooks...
Being USB they can (and will) swap positions randomly at Windows boot.
Aka player 1 side becomes 2 etc.

Sure you can just remap the keys in MAME...
Every god damn time it happens? NO!:cursing:

Get a JVS wired cab and a JVSPAC2, done/perfect/not subject to the swap issue.

PS; I'm selling a Taito JVS (Vewlix) IO right now.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That would have been nice if you weren't in New Hampshire im assuming lol

I'm including shipping with the IO :D
NLp5JYu.jpg

Sometimes when you purchase a used Vewlix you "get lucky" and already have a JVS IO installed (with or without JVS PSU).
Out of the three cabs I purchased, one had a JVS (the other was a Fast IO and the 3rd was totally empty).

Fast IO with Nesica card reader I removed and sold...
OG675d6.jpg

If you happen to get a empty cab its totally your choice how to wire the control panel.
But as I stated above, I highly recommend you steer clear of the Brooks boards (think singular USB/device for both players to block swapping).
That really only leaves two choices remaining, JVS IO or Fast IO.

Fast is only needed for X2/3/4 systems, if you go PC (also recommended) you'll have no use for it.
PC's/MAME will play perfectly with JVS IO, you only need this little device (JVSPAC2).
Ke8eXPA.jpg

You could add JAMMA support later using a Jammafier with Jassifier (or Tri-Sync Helper) OSSC (or new Retrotink 5x) if you wanted.
dVabfya.jpg

You'd already be prefect for Naomi/256 (two JVS systems worth owning IMO).
Everything (JAMMA, JVS and PC/MAME) covered!:thumbup:

I'm including shipping with the IO :D
NLp5JYu.jpg

Sometimes when you purchase a used Vewlix you "get lucky" and already have a JVS IO installed (with or without JVS PSU).
Out of the three cabs I purchased, one had a JVS (the other was a Fast IO and the 3rd was totally empty).

Fast IO with Nesica card reader I removed and sold...
OG675d6.jpg

If you happen to get a empty cab its totally your choice how to wire the control panel.
But as I stated above, I highly recommend you steer clear of the Brooks boards (think singular USB/device for both players to block swapping).
That really only leaves two choices remaining, JVS IO or Fast IO.

Fast is only needed for X2/3/4 systems, if you go PC (also recommended) you'll have no use for it.
PC's/MAME will play perfectly with JVS IO, you only need this little device (JVSPAC2).
Ke8eXPA.jpg

You could add JAMMA support later using a Jammafier with Jassifier (or Tri-Sync Helper) OSSC (or new Retrotink 5x) if you wanted.
dVabfya.jpg

You'd already be prefect for Naomi/256 (two JVS systems worth owning IMO).
Everything (JAMMA, JVS and PC/MAME) covered!:thumbup:
This was my problem, I am using Brooks boards in my chewlix and the USB are reset every boot up. It's frustrating. Was looking for a way to have my mame pc in there as well as option for jamma without the p1 p2 swapping. If your way solves this, I need a detailed how to list ! :thumbsup:

How much is shipping from NH to LA? lol

I think I'll go chewlix just to save money and wire everything myself unless a Vewlix cab is worth the extra money (are they better speakers, monitor, etc)

Also, I notice on ebay they sell the cab art for Vewilix's.. are they the same size for Chewlixs?

unless a Vewlix cab is worth the extra money (are they better speakers, monitor, etc)
Well they are and they are not...
What I mean by that, yes a Vewlix cab is IMO worth the extra money, but I actually recommend replacing the speakers, monitor, etc etc.
So once you've gutted it for other/better parts, is it really that different from doing the same to a Chewlix?

I still say the real deal is worth it.

BTW: Shipping is INCLUDED bro ;)
In all honesty you would buy the cab first, then check to see if you got lucky/scored a JVS IO included.
At that time you would likely be putting together a parts list, based on what you had vs. what you needed (making upgrades as cash flow allowed).

Okay cool! I'll PM you for more details.

Unrelated question maybe; going the PC route what is a good frontend people use? I kinda like the Nesicaxlive one but I can't find that one (I'm only familiar with Launchbox)

I don't use frontends period, I run vanilla MAME in Windows 10.
I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for making selections, after I make the selection, combo go's inside the cab (no way to exit games from cab controls alone which is how I like it/locked down).

Back