What's new
@mathieulh
perhaps I've used bad wording. I wanted to say: CRC check is the only way DIMM detecting game media change, in case of GD/CF boot. as was pointed out by rtw - it compare computed checksum with number read from ABC.BIN file, if they do not match - that means game was changed and needed to reupload game binary from source media.

so, if you completely remove CRC check - DIMM will never (re)read game binaries anymore from origin GD/CF.

It would be useful to people using regular DIMM or using NetDIMM to boot CF/GD/CD-R, this would decrease load times as it would no longer perform the (arguably unnecessary) CRC checks. If you aren't using a NetDimm, you can't really send a packet to disable the CRC check since it isn't connected to the network.
Ah, okay yeah that makes sense. You'd have to patch it to instead check the length of the game in the DIMM or something else though, otherwise MetalliC and rtw are right in that there is no way for the dimm to understand on bootup that it has a valid game or just zeros/garbage that won't boot. I guess you could get cheeky and patch the CRC to only ever run over the first 1024 bytes or something and hope that memory degredation when the battery dies happens randomly, since the header will be different for different games. That would probably be an easier patch to be honest since you could just find where its calling the CRC function and just pass it the constant "1024" or something instead of the length as read from its own configuration.

Ah, okay yeah that makes sense. You'd have to patch it to instead check the length of the game in the DIMM or something else though, otherwise MetalliC and rtw are right in that there is no way for the dimm to understand on bootup that it has a valid game or just zeros/garbage that won't boot. I guess you could get cheeky and patch the CRC to only ever run over the first 1024 bytes or something and hope that memory degredation when the battery dies happens randomly, since the header will be different for different games. That would probably be an easier patch to be honest since you could just find where its calling the CRC function and just pass it the constant "1024" or something instead of the length as read from its own configuration.
That's actually a clever idea for a patch. I was about to give up as I read Metallic 's explanation xD

Patching the length to 1024, means that you would have to update the loader file on the CF card as well making all existing CF cards incompatible with the patched firmware...

Patching the length to 1024, means that you would have to update the loader file on the CF card as well making all existing CF cards incompatible with the patched firmware...
I'm not exactly knowledgeable on the level that you guys are, however I have a shot in the dark.
There are a number of jumpers on the board. is it possible that any of them are unused, or un-needed for CFW, and attached to lines which could be used to select this functionality?

Back