What's new
Ah okay, I thought that the purpose of using the bootleg and AMB ROMs was that they were already decrypted.

I was aware of the ASIC as a feature of regular carts, but I did not realize that the Cave single-board PGM games used the ASIC in their original form.

My apologies.
I bet someone more in tune with these things than me could graft a raspberry pi zero into a cartridge to handle whatever the ASIC does. They seem to be used for anything and everything in retro computing at the moment.

D:\candy\PGM\HERE\ddp3_rg>fc *.bin D:\candy\PGM\test\*.bin
Comparing files ddp3_a1.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_a1.BIN
FC: no differences encountered

Comparing files ddp3_a2.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_a2.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_a3.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_a3.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_a4.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_a4.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_b1.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_b1.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_b2.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_b2.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_m1.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_m1.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_p1_dual.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_p1_dual.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_t1.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_t1.BIN

Comparing files ddp3_t2.bin and D:\CANDY\PGM\TEST\ddp3_t2.BIN
are the files linked here good to go for the 3 sets?

After my many many hours of burning espgaluda, I very nearly just "Caved" in and bought a conversion cart rather than continuing on with the plan to build them.. it wasn't that much fun :p. But in the name of not breaking originals I will persist :)

tl8662 received, pal burned and voilà!

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

ps: I used 2 plastic bolts from my "quadcopter" days to make sure there are no shorts. Works like a charm.
IMG_0608.jpg

Thanks a lot Fluffy :thumbsup: !
whats the difference between the 2 versions?

The green one is a fan made arrange mode at the request of different users on the shmups forums. You get a rank meter with some gameplay tweaks. There are other versions as well that you can burn as the program rom, but the 1.7 arrange has the most to it.

The green one is a fan made arrange mode at the request of different users on the shmups forums. You get a rank meter with some gameplay tweaks. There are other versions as well that you can burn as the program rom, but the 1.7 arrange has the most to it.
thanks for the explanation, its a jumper setting between the 2 versions if not mistaken?

thanks for the explanation, its a jumper setting between the 2 versions if not mistaken?
Yes, only if you burn the dual rom. Jumper 2 switches the bank between both versions. Alternatively you could just burn individual program roms and swap them in and out.

Yes, only if you burn the dual rom. Jumper 2 switches the bank between both versions. Alternatively you could just burn individual program roms and swap them in and out.
thanks for reply, one more noob questions if i may, with ddp3_p1_dual.bin is the white label/black label dual boot version. is that a jumper also or a boot menu select etc?

I received my PCBs today and assembled one with the ESP roms to start with. Right now it's booting to the PGM test menu after the PGM BIOS screen. I double checked that my U5 and U6 PALs are in the right spot. I'm using the generic U5 PAL file and have all of the jumpers open. Scanning over the board I'm not seeing any bridged solder points or backwards components. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

One thing that I was confused about with burning the eproms was whether or not I needed to add a bios to any of the chips and if so where it needs to go. Is that required for any or all games?

The bios is only used for DDP3, and that is automatically handled by the conversion script.
Espgaluda and Ketsui should boot directly into the game, without going into the BIOS.
Did you install the 100 Ohm resistor?

Yes, at R1

The other three resistor spaces are open (which is correct right?)

Last edited:
I noticed R2, R3, R4 not listed on the OP, are these also 100ohm? ty

UElyOHul.jpg

IF people need Help etc... Your welcome to my PGM Discord Server!
I have Email / twitter / youtube etc... I even have a set of YouTube videos on buying parts and building Fluffys PCBs :)

Tim.

They helped me out over there too :) turns out I needed the 10K resistors for the PAL I was using as well (Atmel ATF16v8C-7PU).
It looks like ATF16V8C has pin-keeper circuits that keep the previous value when not driven, while the ATF16V8B I was using has internal 50k pull-ups. This may be the problem some people where having... is anyone else using ATF16v8C?

Back