What's new
Hi,
  • LS32 spring
  • Zippy switches
  • 3D printed actuator (I believe from my second link above)
I also cut and filed down a shaft cover so I could use it on the slightly stubbier Namco shaft.

Hi,
I would like to enjoy my Namco Stick on PS4 (Street Fighter 6, Fighting Ex Layer etc.) by removing everything, and adding a Brook Universal Fighting Board or similar.
I would like to ask: does exist a joystick that can be mounted in the Namco Stick without the need to drill or modify the plastic case?

Thank you so much.

I've play one fighting game at a fairly high level. I have no issues with the stock Namco yellow stick but do much prefer the zippy/cherry microswitch mod for it. The stock switches have seen a lot of use and are a bit on the firm side. I think you will be very happy keeping the stock stick and doing the mods I have noted in this thread. I like it more than a stock JLF or the Hori Hayabusa. I slightly prefer an LS-32 for fighters but prefer the modified Namco for shmups.

Stock Namco buttons are good but I don't like that you must hit them almost center or they have a bit of tilt to the push engagement. I would swap them out for Sanwa OBSF.

Are you comfortable using a soldering iron? The only involved part is desoldering the buttons from the PCB, but it isn't very difficult with a cheap desoldering braid and a basic iron. You can use a popsicle stick to lever up on the PCB edges as you desolder if any of them get stuck.

Thank you so much for the tips.
I have a soldering iron, but I would prefer a solderless easier/cleaner mod, if that's possible.

So maybe I could keep the original joystick, removing everything else (PCBs, original buttons etc.), adding a Brook PS4 board and some SANWA or Seimitsu buttons?

In this case:
- which buttons to use? (I read that the Seimitsu PS-15 30mm should fit)
- which harness to use, especially for the joystick?
- what about Start and Select buttons on PS4?

I'm in Italy, so it would be convenient for me to purchase parts available from smallcab.net or other european resellers...

Again, thank you so much!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the tips.
I have a soldering iron, but I would prefer a solderless easier/cleaner mod, if that's possible.

So maybe I could keep the original joystick, removing everything else (PCBs, original buttons etc.), adding a Brook PS4 board and some SANWA or Seimitsu buttons?

In this case:
- which buttons to use? (I read that the Seimitsu PS-15 30mm should fit)
- which harness to use, especially for the joystick?
- what about Start and Select buttons on PS4?

I'm in Italy, so it would be convenient for me to purchase parts available from smallcab.net or other european resellers...

Again, thank you so much!

You will need to desolder the buttons from the Namco pbc since they are directly soldered to the board (there is no harness, the terminals fit in solder holes). You can use whatever 30mm japanese buttons you like as long as they aren't longer than an OBSF. You may need to slightly bend the terminals when installing to get the bottom plate to sit flush on the lowest row. You can solder directly to the button terminals from the brooks pcb harness, but I would just buy a button harness with the insulated spade connectors. You have plenty of room to bend the button terminals if needed.

You can keep stock stick (and maybe do the subtle mods I mentioned), install the Brooks PBC and a USB cord going out. There is a wrap around strain relief present, you could maybe use a grommet or stick a cheap usb jack extender in there and hold in with double sided tape.

For the stock joystick, you will need to solder directly to the switches from the brook pbc harness. It's super easy and without any experience, I can't see you messing it up. Use SMD flux if you have trouble since it seems to work the best no matter the application. Tip your wires and it is painless.

Since you are not trying to install an LS-33 or JLF, this is a super easy mod. Enjoy.

For the stock joystick, you will need to solder directly to the switches from the brook pbc harness. It's super easy and without any experience, I can't see you messing it up. Use SMD flux if you have trouble since it seems to work the best no matter the application. Tip your wires and it is painless.

Thank you very much.

These parts are actually in my basket:

If i change the microswitches of the joystick maybe I could get a solderless mod (excluding the de-soldering part, of course)?
I don't have the stick with me and honestly I don't remember if the microswitches are soldered to the joystick or not.

Maybe it's not worth spending so much (20€) on cables with Brook connectors, if on the other side I can't use them as they are? (detail)
I also need to figure out if I can keep the little PCB for Start - Select - L3 and R3.

Last edited:
Hi,
  • LS32 spring
  • Zippy switches
  • 3D printed actuator (I believe from my second link above)
I also cut and filed down a shaft cover so I could use it on the slightly stubbier Namco shaft.
Great information. I've got four of these, and the sticks are pretty worn out in all of them. Can you recall which Zippy switch model did you use?

@RGB - I used these: ZF-75G-SWITCH

https://focusattack.com/d44x-75g-187-microswitch/

They were called Cherry switches up until ZF bought them. You can find them anywhere.

I had tried about 5 different switches and I liked these far and away the best.

@RGB in Europe maybe they are available here?
https://www.smallcab.net/micro-switch-cherry-d44x-48mm-p-909.html

I'm tempted to add them to my purchase... how complicated is it to replace the joystick microswitches?

@RGB in Europe maybe they are available here?
https://www.smallcab.net/micro-switch-cherry-d44x-48mm-p-909.html

I'm tempted to add them to my purchase... how complicated is it to replace the joystick microswitches?

Not difficult at all. If you take off 4 screws from the bottom gate of the hori joystick, you can remove all the switches. Transfer 1 wire at a time from the old switches to the new ones if you plan to keep PS1 PCB.

I kept all my Namcos stock as far as PCB and just use the Etokki PS1 to DB15 converters with a supergun.

Thank you so much for the valuable (and patient) advice.
I also ordered the microswitches, we'll see! ;)

EDIT: by the way, if I understood correctly, replacing the microswitches I should get a solderless mod because the cable kit (originally for RPi) is made up of:
  • 9 wire of 80cm with a dupont connector and 2.8mm terminal (buttons)
  • 4 wire of 80cm with a dupont connector and 4.8mm terminal (joystick)
  • 1 wire of 80cm with a common grounding chain with a dupont connector and 2.8mm and 4.8mm terminal (ground)

...which would all go to Brook PCB's J4 connector.
I also will try to keep the small "Start - Select" PCB somehow.

Last edited:
For the start/select remote board, I am pretty sure you could tap directly to solder traces near the carbon pads.

53144284117_9eef75a4e1_b.jpg

53145293975_213d53000f_b.jpg

Half of the work is done, now I just have to receive the shipment with the new components.
On the "CN3S" board I have a doubt about the pins:
  1. Select --> PS4 "Options"
  2. Start --> PS4 "Home"
  3. L1
  4. L2
  5. GND ???

I was thinking of "extending" the five small cables up to the Brook board.

P.S. In the photo, I don't know why, everything looks more rusty, but it's not.

Pinout looks correct. You can easily see the ground plane going to the left of each button's carbon pad.

53152475908_f31329247f_b.jpg

I did it! :thumbsup:

Wiring was very easy (practically solderless thanks to the microswitch change), but it was extremely difficult finding the place for the Brook PCB... really down to millimeters.
I had to use screw terminals and not the J4. The overall feel is outstanding.

Actually it's a kind of "working prototype", sooner or later I'll have to reopen it for some cable management and to wire L1 and L2 buttons. But I'm seriously afraid I won't be able to close the Namco again... =O

Did you exchange the buttons or keep them as is?

Also, how do you like the stick so far in terms of being a weird hybrid affair and not a real Japanese standard?

Did you exchange the buttons or keep them as is?

Also, how do you like the stick so far in terms of being a weird hybrid affair and not a real Japanese standard?

I changed the buttons to Seimitsu PS-15 and I really *love* the hybrid stick!
Thank you so much for your kind support!

I'll take pictures when I will have the time for a bit of cable management...

Couple of questions:

1. Will any other Hori sticks, newer or older, screw into a Namco PS1 stick without modification? Or is the mounting screw pattern unique to the Namco PS1 stick and case? From photos it looks like the stick from the Hori Wii fight stick has the same screw pattern and plastic case.

2. Are there any drop-in replacements for the pivot cup? Mine is really ground up and rough, in one of my Namcos, but really smooth and like-new in my second Namco.

Last edited:
Back