What's new
Create the ISO:
1. Mount your source optical disc on your Mac.
2. Launch Terminal.app and enter the following command:
hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o image.iso /path/to/source

(hdiutil is the name of the command, makehybrid is the action, -iso is the filesystem, -joilet adds the Joliet support to the ISO, -o is the output option, image.iso is the output file, /path/to/source would be your source disc; usually mounted to /Volumes/)
Was messing with this earlier, I pretty much get everything except for the /path/to/source ; how exactly would I find out what to type here?
In a new Terminal window, type:
ls /Volumes/

That should return you something like: /Volumes/NAMEOFDISC
That would be the path the source disc.

Create the ISO:
1. Mount your source optical disc on your Mac.
2. Launch Terminal.app and enter the following command:
hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o image.iso /path/to/source

(hdiutil is the name of the command, makehybrid is the action, -iso is the filesystem, -joilet adds the Joliet support to the ISO, -o is the output option, image.iso is the output file, /path/to/source would be your source disc; usually mounted to /Volumes/)
Was messing with this earlier, I pretty much get everything except for the /path/to/source ; how exactly would I find out what to type here?
In a new Terminal window, type:ls /Volumes/

That should return you something like: /Volumes/NAMEOFDISC
That would be the path the source disc.
All I get back is -bash: /Volumes/: is a directory

If I go to info on the mounted disk I get /Volumes/CAP-33S-1 , is this it?

This is what I've done so far:

mounted the disk image called UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso

then typed into terminal hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso /Volumes/CAP-33S-1

then diskutil unmount /dev/disk1 (because my sd card is under disk 1 after doing the list)

now heres where I'm confused, as per the instructions on page 8 of the forum it should be something like this

sudo dd if=/Volumes/CAP-33S-1.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m

or maybe

sudo dd if=/Volumes/CAP-33S-1/UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m

or maybe

sudo dd if=/Volumes/CAP-33S-1 of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m

In any case, I can't get anything to work. For some reason when I tried earlier I was able to put in my password before it didn't want to do anything, but now it won't ask. In any case, I attached some screen shots. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.31.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.31.07 PM.png
    110 KB · Views: 208
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.34.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.34.40 PM.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.39.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.39.02 PM.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 193
Going by your screen shots, the input file for dd should be the ISO image you created, "UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso" so this gives us: sudo dd if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso (update the path to this file)

Next you need to write to the sdcard. I think that's the disk1 that's 8GB. You want to target the partition and not the entire disk. So the output target for dd should be: of=/dev/rdisk1s1 bs=1m

And we put it all together:
sudo dd if=UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso of=/dev/rdisk1s1 bs=1m

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info.
I want to use this in my Konami Internation Track & Field board.....

I think I made the SD card right this time as my Mac will no longer recognize it; however, I get the invalid CD message upon powering on the CPS3. Screenshots of the SCSI2SD settings and Terminal attached. I wanted to try and erase the SD card and try all over again, but I can't with disk utility or SDFormatter. Is there a terminal work around?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.19.17 PM.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.09.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.09.50 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.09.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.09.39 PM.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.23.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 5.23.46 PM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 222
First unmount the disk:
diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s1
Then erase:
diskutil eraseDisk DOS CPS3 /dev/disk2s1

Thank you for all your help so far Jugu, I really do appreciate it. By the way if you ever find yourself in the area don't be shy; I'm a pretty good tour guide of San Diego if I do say so myself.

Next question, command for deleting the ISO hybrid file so I can truly start over from scratch.

Use the regular rm command:
rm UniCD-CPS3_for_custom_SH2_V5.iso

I have family in San Diego, but I haven't been down there in a couple of years. Buy me a taco from your favorite taco shop and we'll call it even!

I know a really bad ass place, found it while lost one day and have been loyal to it ever since. Whenever I give people directions there they are like, "seriously, what the hell?" because it's in such a random location. I always get on location text messages thanking me when people finally end up going lol.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dos-brasas-san-diego

Tried again, and no dice. Tossing in the towel on this one. My computer just won't do it lol. I will be sending to Mitsu for help.

I thought after it didn't work it was maybe the SCSI2SD itself, so I changed my settings on the SCSI2SD to match the ones you had Jugu (not sure if sector size matters, I had it at 2048 before but changed it to the value you had posted earlier (512). Same result, no dice. Attached the terminal page and my settings. Why it's not working is beyond me. If I continue tonight I'll just get frustrated. Thank you for all your help though, I still feel like this should work lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.46.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.46.18 PM.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.58.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.58.23 PM.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 231
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    789.4 KB · Views: 236
Forgive me if I missed something earlier... But based on the screen shot above you are using the Custom SH2 version of the image.
Do you have a custom SH2 SuperBIOS cart? I think most people just have SuperBIOS carts now (because its easier) right?

Custom SH2 SuperBIOS cart. Sent a 2nd Impact cart to Mitsu and had the $55 mod (custom SH2) done. He linked me to the ISO I'm trying to use. I think it's got to be something to do with my computer or adapter for the mini SD card or something dumb like that. I'm stumped at this point.

Even if he used the wrong iso it would boot to the region select screen.

Well judging by the screen shots above the CPS3 is seeing the SD2SCSI device as a valid CD-ROM, it just isn't happy with the disc (aka image).
No Windows PC (sorry I had to ask I'm sure someone has already suggested it)?

Trying again with a different SD card adapter (got to rule out dumb possibilities lol)

UPDATE: No dice! Changed the SCSI2SD back to the previous settings too. I wonder if it could just be the SD card itself, but I don't have another one lying around. In any case, that's all for tonight...still in a good mood overall and not looking to change that : D

Last edited:
@mukurofish, download Ubuntu for Mac. Burn it to a USB stick. Boot to the USB stick and run Ubuntu Live. Right click the ISO and burn it to your SD card using Image Writer. Once done. Shut down the computer. Remove the USB stick. Turn it back on and you're back in Mac OS. If it still doesn't work, I am suspecting your SD card.

What format does the SD card need to be in? I actually found another lying around the house. Does it need to be MS-DOS (FAT)? That's what I've been using. Just want to make sure.

Also there is an option when formatting for partition map, the default is GUID. Is this okay?

UPDATE:

In any case, same result. Invalid CD-ROM, at least we can rule out the original physical SD card mostly likely.

UPDATE:

Using SDFormatter again as that seems what people have best results with. Doing the long format with delete and overwrite just to make sure the card is nice and clean before going again.

Will also try removing to optional commands upon writing onto sd card next try.

...This is proving to be more fun than when I learned how to fix model 1 Sega CDs : D (seriously, if you have one and the shit doesn't work I can probably fix it haha)

Last edited:
Back