What's new
Wow! thanks for your detailed reply. Will have another bash this weekend after studying your post.

Hi,

I tried the first part and it just seemed to show 'searching for boot loader' message;
9wPgnc6.png

Seems that perhaps the device is not being detected or something?

Also, what do I name the SD Card as?

I'll update my post with more details in a little bit.

To be clear, the scsi2sd utility is only used to setup the board and not the SD card. For the problem you're having, I would first try the following:
1. Connect board to your Mac via USB
2. Launch the scsi2sd utility
3. Click the "Load from device" button.

This will load the settings that are currently saved to the board and should reveal information such as the current firmware. If this doesn't work, then the Mac isn't seeing the board.

Hi,
When i open up the utility, it just says 'searching for SCSI2 device' endlessly, so it is not picking it up.

The USB lead seems fine because I tried it with something else, maybe something is up with the PCB?

Definitely sounds like the board is not being seen by the utility. Try this:
1. Select "About this Mac" from the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen.
2. From the screen that shows up, click the "System Report..." button.
3. This will launch the System Information application. From the left hand side of the window, under the Hardware heading, click on USB.
4. This will reveal all the USB devices connected to your Mac. If the SCSI2SD board is not listed here, then there might be a problem with the board.

Also try another cable. Some micro usb cables are charge only and don't have the data pins connected.

I'm not sure where that cable come from but I suspect it is a power only one.

Would I have messed up the pcb by plugging it in - it seemed to get a bit hot.

:(

Plugged in the 'proper' usb lead and fortunately I don't appear to have killed it.

I managed to update the firmware the PCB and it seems to have kept the settings.

I've just reformatted the SD card, so next step is to put the iso on it. Going to use the iso from the disc i have in the cd drive as I know that works fine.

Almost there ... I hope.

OK, I followed the rest of the steps.

I used the disc i had in the cd drive to create the ISO as per your instructions.

This image.iso was created in my user folder.

I then followed your step to write it to the SD card, and the data appears to have transferred over.

I then plugged the sd card into the pcb and attached it to the data cable that used to go in the cd drive.

Unfortunately when i power on the cab it just shows the opening screen showing that it is searching for the CD, but it keeps doing that, like it can't detect the device.

Here are some screen prints of the progress. There is obviously something that has gone awry, but not sure what.

When I plug in the PCB and use the utility to load up the settings, I get the following which is correct;
Fi0SPXi.png

Here is me writing the data to the SD Card, seems like that went ok;
4pD9KOr.png

From the screen shot, the value for sector size appears incorrect. Should be 2048.

The screen you see when you boot up the game, is that typical for when the CD-ROM is not found? When I was troubleshooting my CPS3 issue, the first error message was because the settings on the board were incorrect and it failed to find the "CD-ROM" drive. After that was fixed, a recevied an error for the incorrect CD.

Ok, so I re-setup the board with the additional setting for sector size. - (see the screen print below)

I also tried using another SD card - a better samsung one.

I still get that message 'Now reading the cd rom'. (see the picture of the set up and screen on the cab)

There isn't a subsequent error like cd not found ... also if i remove the sd card, i get the same screen, so i don't think that it is anything wrong (yet) with the sd card, because it hasn't been able to read it.

-Which is weird because it knows there is a cd, so the board seems to be 'acting' like a cd drive, but it is like it is trying to read the disk very slowly.

There are no lights that are lit on the PCB - is that how it should be?

*** After typing this up I went to disconnect the PCB and discovered that the components on the far left side of the PCB (other side to the SD card slot) were really hot! That does not seem right. :(

V7vmprI.png

TFKcBn2.png

GHYQx9o.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to me the PCB is working correctly... As the CPS3 is trying to read what it believes is a CD-ROM.
I suspect something with the SD card preparation is wrong.

Do you have access to a Windows PC?
When in doubt I always blame Apple products (because I don't like 'em). ;)

The sd card issue is probably the next problem that i will encounter.

However it does the same thing when the sd card is removed. By rights it should bring up an error saying there is no cd in that scenario?

I love OS X, i really do, but when it comes to fiddling around with stuff, for the likes of me with no skills OS X is a major hindrance.

However it does the same thing when the sd card is removed. By rights it should bring up an error saying there is no cd in that scenario?
Hmmm, I'm going to eject my SD card when I get home and try it for you.
I can't remember if the error message is different with/without a card inserted.

There is an error message for both a missing CD and the incorrect CD.

I hear on the OS X trouble, I ended up doing the creating of the ISO and writing the ISO to the SD card via Windows after I failed with OS X.

From that screen shot, I do believe there is a problem with the SD card. I can't remember how hot the board got, I'll check when I get a chance. But for the lights, I only remember one orange one came on early in the boot process. I didn't see any light to indicate reading or writing activity on mine.

You may have noticed that I also had a Multi CPS2 issue thread going at the same time.

The problem with the Multi CPS2 seems to have been the PCB not liking the SD Card after I had reformatted it and installed the new Rom pack via my Mac.

Bear in mind that originally when I got the Multi I successfully reformatted and put the Rom packs on the SD Card on my Mac using the same Terminal commands. However, back then I was running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I now use a newer Mac running OS 10.10 (Yosemite).

So it is likely that some OS changes have affected this process, and it stands to reason, especially given your own problems using Mac that there are issues that are specific to certain versions of the Mac OS.

With that said, before I start digging deeper into that, I am concerned that I may have inadvertently damaged the PCB when I previously used a USB power only lead, as the components on the PCB now seem to get extremely hot

How did you format your cards on the Mac? I'd like to figure out what is going on as I'm a Mac guy myself. I do have an old PC and a Boot Camped Mac Mini for MAME.

How did you format your cards on the Mac? I'd like to figure out what is going on as I'm a Mac guy myself. I do have an old PC and a Boot Camped Mac Mini for MAME.
There's an app called 'Disk Utility' on OSX for formatting. You can use the command line tool 'dd' for writing images.

Last edited:
is there a recommended scsi2sd device anyone here prefers to use?? Im looking into buying one myself

is there a recommended scsi2sd device anyone here prefers to use?? Im looking into buying one myself
Seems like "SCSI2SD" itself is a name of a product rather than a generic "scsi to sd adapter". There are probably other products out there but this is what I use and what most people use here: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD

Probably best is to get a v5 board. There are a number of retailers online that sell it:

http://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

http://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-p/scsi2sd-v5a.htm

http://shop.codesrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=58

..etc. You can also find them on Amazon or eBay, I think.

Why risk? That one is good, inexpensive and works well with CPS3 :thumbup:

Back