What's new
dumb question probably. How much better is the video quality wise going to be on this compared to a gbs8200
A zillion times, and it's not a dumb question. A question back to you all is how to 'show it' - should I put up photographs of it in action on a CRT? Problem of course is it's a little tricky to get a good impression from a picture, and especially a picture of a CRT.

I tried shooting video with an iphone and a logitech webcam, but didn't turn out well..

dumb question probably. How much better is the video quality wise going to be on this compared to a gbs8200
A zillion times, and it's not a dumb question. A question back to you all is how to 'show it' - should I put up photographs of it in action on a CRT? Problem of course is it's a little tricky to get a good impression from a picture, and especially a picture of a CRT.
I tried shooting video with an iphone and a logitech webcam, but didn't turn out well..
If you can change the shutter speed of your camera, try setting it to match the refresh rate of the content you're trying to capture. 1/60, 1/30, 1/25, 1/15, etc.

Super excited for this project and definitely want to be on the order list when done. Thanks for undertaking this!

Batsugun sent me down a deep rabbit hole. I know now why it doesn't work properly, but to be able to identify it I had to have it on my bench. In the process, the Retro Scaler now has pretty fancy on-board sync-analysis to identify these type issues - and it will set things like pre/post coast etc automatically.

I tried to get Batsugun working with the OSSC, but no luck. XRGB2 can do it if you tune the AFC to max. Anyone got Batsugun and got any experience with the OSSC or other scalers with it?

Batsugun sent me down a deep rabbit hole. I know now why it doesn't work properly, but to be able to identify it I had to have it on my bench. In the process, the Retro Scaler now has pretty fancy on-board sync-analysis to identify these type issues - and it will set things like pre/post coast etc automatically.

I tried to get Batsugun working with the OSSC, but no luck. XRGB2 can do it if you tune the AFC to max. Anyone got Batsugun and got any experience with the OSSC or other scalers with it?
Check out this thread - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65035

@invzim I've been putting off hooking up my Batsugun and a borrowed Ghox board, and seeing what the OSSC and the scope have to say about the sync signals. To me it's so strange that they'd have issues, because the same GP9001 graphics controller is used in Battle Garegga and other Raizing and Toaplan titles on the same chipset. I would understand for games with multiple synchronized GP9001 controllers (batsugun, dogyuun, etc) but for the single controller boards like Ghox it is a mystery. I am beginning to wonder if the chip has some degree of configuration available for the sync / scan generation, akin to a CRTC.

Thanks a zillion @RGB - then I will simply put this one to rest, not that I haven't spent a lot of time on it.. :D

The issue with Batsugun, and likely some of the other games in that PCB family is that the vsync portion of the sync is not close to a multiple of normal lines. Or, it has one horiz frequency, then changes that during vsync kindof, which makes it really hard to keep sync. With the retro-scaler, you get a wavy teared-up image so you can see something is going on + you get a warning in the debug log, but at the end of the day it's not usable.

2019-12-03 Batsugun PLL issue.JPG

There will be a caveat/not supported page on the website to inform about this.

@RGB - know of other boards the OSSC have issues with so I can steal/buy/borrow these to do tests? Taito F3 and MV-1A works without issues on the Retro Scaler.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if HDMI will be supported for the scaler because the days of VGA ports are slowly coming to a close as it's rare to find a decent LCD monitor/TV with a VGA port (that at least will remember its power state when unplugged). This would help with two Motocross Go machines I'm restoring.

Edit: So this has been asked three times already. I saw the "chinese shit scaler" @psykom1 mentioned and would rather not resort to that.

Edit 2: $235 USD? I don't think this will be ideal for a (pseudo) JVS arcade game like this. I previously used a GBS 8200 to send a VGA signal to two older monitors I borrowed for testing and surprisingly turned out well (both of them link without any signal drops). I may resort to something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263475234308. This item, HD-VC9900, looks like the HDMI version of the GBS-8200. Just for reference, Namco System 23, the hardware Motocross Go runs, is 15KHz/standard res.

Last edited:
I've been wondering, with all "use these settings with this PCB" posts regarding these scalers.

shouldn't we be able to have these devices look at the sync signal as a fingerprint/key and cross reference it with some pre-programmed "ideal" settings for a given board?

This might make the most sense for something like OSSC pulling signals from popular consoles but I would think we could crowd source that for arcade stuff. Heck even having a handful of pre-programmed settings for popular/common boards like: F3, CPS2, STV, CPS3, CV1K, etc. would be hugely beneficial.

I'm wondering if HDMI will be supported for the scaler because the days of VGA ports are slowly coming to a close as it's rare to find a decent LCD monitor/TV with a VGA port (that at least will remember its power state when unplugged). This would help with two Motocross Go machines I'm restoring.

Edit: So this has been asked three times already. I saw the "chinese shit scaler" @psykom1 mentioned and would rather not resort to that.

Edit 2: $235 USD? I don't think this will be ideal for a (pseudo) JVS arcade game like this. I previously used a GBS 8200 to send a VGA signal to two older monitors I borrowed for testing and surprisingly turned out well (both of them link without any signal drops). I may resort to something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263475234308. This item, HD-VC9900, looks like the HDMI version of the GBS-8200. Just for reference, Namco System 23, the hardware Motocross Go runs, is 15KHz/standard res.
I got a GBS 8200 for test, and the quality is IMHO sub-par for arcade stuff. The Retro Scaler will not have HDMI, you can use an OSSC with something that makes it eat arcade signals (like the Tri-Sync Helper or the HAS) and pretty nice results if you tweak a bit.

I've been wondering, with all "use these settings with this PCB" posts regarding these scalers.

shouldn't we be able to have these devices look at the sync signal as a fingerprint/key and cross reference it with some pre-programmed "ideal" settings for a given board?

This might make the most sense for something like OSSC pulling signals from popular consoles but I would think we could crowd source that for arcade stuff. Heck even having a handful of pre-programmed settings for popular/common boards like: F3, CPS2, STV, CPS3, CV1K, etc. would be hugely beneficial.
Or implement something that looks at the signal and does the settings for you 8o

wet dream :love:

but already if this scaler gets the f3 to work with my ossc it's a must buy

Or implement something that looks at the signal and does the settings for you
Isn't that what I said? or are you suggesting analyzing the signal and trying to auto-configure on the fly?

I feel like a number of scalers already do that but the results are never ideal.

Seems like I'm gonna have the full Irken Labs product line up at this point.

Will go well with my JAMMAFIER on a 31k monitor I have.

I don't own Batsugun, but I do own other Toaplan games from the same era that run on the same hardware - Dogyuun, Tatsujin Oh, FixEight, and V-Five.

I could loan one of them to you @invzim for Retro Scalar research if you promise to give it back! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to not having to keep my Framemeister around for these games...

I have a Dogyuun that I haven't been able to sync with the OSSC. If the Retro Scaler can handle these boards, that would be a huge boon to the supergun community!

Batsugun is un-fixable, unfortunately - and was a bit of a curve-ball so I had to re-write a lot of the code. On the plus side, the refactor made things a bit simpler and more stable.

I made a page on what the scaler does with a few details here, which will hopefully make things a little clearer what the scaler is and what it's not:

https://irkenlabs.com/retro-scaler-a1/detailed-mode-of-operation

Batsugun is un-fixable, unfortunately - and was a bit of a curve-ball so I had to re-write a lot of the code. On the plus side, the refactor made things a bit simpler and more stable.

I made a page on what the scaler does with a few details here, which will hopefully make things a little clearer what the scaler is and what it's not:

Invzim - thanks for the update. Looks great and cannot wait to order a few (maybe in time for Christmas?). One question : it looks like the sync output is TTL, i understood this to be bad for LCD monitors. Is there an option to attenuate this to bring it down to safe levels so i can use a LCD monitor (would be connecting via VGA port on the monitor).... Or have i misunderstood (perfectly possible)? Thanks

Invzim - thanks for the update. Looks great and cannot wait to order a few (maybe in time for Christmas?). One question : it looks like the sync output is TTL, i understood this to be bad for LCD monitors. Is there an option to attenuate this to bring it down to safe levels so i can use a LCD monitor (would be connecting via VGA port on the monitor).... Or have i misunderstood (perfectly possible)? Thanks
If you think this, then probably a lot of other people do too - so thanks for feedback, I should probably put an explanation somewhere somehow.

VGA has 5V sync, which is often called TTL - so this is 100% standard VGA sync and will pose no issues with LCD's.

Back