What's new
Working on a new firmware version that should be out shortly, a couple of bugs discovered:
  • May hang when changing scanline settings (and saving to SD card), thanks @Joe
  • Sometimes writes wrong parameters in .ini file , thanks @sammargh

New firmware available at:
https://irkenlabs.com/retro-scaler-a1/firmware-update

Everyone is encouraged to update.

Changes
* Vertical sync increased from 2 to 4 lines
* Support for multi-partition micro-sd cards (not tested)

Bug Fixes:
* Horizontal sync output is now negative, a few monitors doesn't like positive hsync
* Under some conditions rgb would be set to "scart" instead of "75-ohm"
* Changing scanline settings with an sd-card active would lock up the ARM cpu

Last edited:
Now the fun begins :)

So far the only system that gave me troubles with invzim's latest fixes is MSX but haven't had time to sit down and play with it yet.. got too distracted!

Here's a gallery of a few systems I threw onto the scaler with my PC CRT for comparison https://imgur.com/a/7ec4N7D

Let me know if there's a console you're curious about, I have quite a few with some rather odd mods too :)

Great stuff @sammargh !

Ideally, just a list of 'approved systems' so I can list them here https://irkenlabs.com/retro-scaler-a1/tested-sources

and also which ones have issues/degradation.

One thing you may notice is a feature I haven't talked much about which is the RGB gain matching, where it basically adjusts the gain of each color so the result will be a perfect, or as close as I can get, white. I have been toying with an idea of making this an option, as in some cases it's not really true to a system that doesn't have proper white.

Perfect! this is the last piece I've been waiting for on my JAMMA/JVS Chewlix build. Thanks! As soon as I can get enough green scraped up I'll buy one, maybe two from ya :D

at last - a decent scaler with VGA output !!! I have ordered one, this will be the solution to connecting retro consoles to my trisync monitor / astro cab, among other things. im probably going to sell my XRGB Mini now ^^ , ive had to use a HDMI to VGA device for years.

thanks @invzim

Thank you so much @invzim. Scaler and JAMMIFER work perfectly in my NNC conversion.
zRs1NDS.jpg

Having bought the scaler i can say that the colours are really well presented - even on an lcd screen they have a good balance and arcade quality to them.

Looks awesome! Next, a downscaler from 31khz to 15khz? :D
Next is getting some Jammafiers back in stock. Thought about a downscaler, but not sure if there's demand - guess it would have to be HDMI input and arcade output.

Does this support 24kHz to 31kHz?
No it does not. The feature got scrapped as I wanted to get the damn thing out + I'm not sure how it would actually look and would require a big rewrite of the fpga stuff.

Darn, 24 to 31 would've been nice for Model 2 boards. I'm getting one regardless!

Thanks as always for the awesome work!

There aren't a whole lot of 24kHz games but there are enough that it's hard to find a suitable solution.

Heavy hitters (at least for me) are:
Konami Cobra
Konami Hornet
Konami M2

Sega System 24
Sega Model 2
Sega Model 3

Atari/Midway Seattle
Atari/Midway Vegas

@invzim it has arrived ! i updated the firmware (didnt know which ver was on there?) and tested with a super famicom. needed to use a sync stripper to get it to work with the default ini file - to be expected.

I was wondering, do you have a detailed howto on all the settings available in the ini file ? Am I able to use the button B (or any spare button) for useful stuff like switching between arcade RGB or SYNC so that I dont need to modify the ini file all the time ?

I think I will stick with using one of @Frank_fjs 's sync booster with sync stripper for now and leave it in arcade mode. I will test this later on my NNC 29" CRT, my aim is to use this Retro Scaler A1 as a universal means of connecting anything (except an arcade PCB) to my Astro cab w/ NNC monitor.

SO far the picture is amazing, just on broadcast Sony LCD monitor, will test more later on. Thanks for the super fast service :) now I can get back to grinding Zelda1 runs out.

with settings at defaults (no sd card inserted)
-- All of the below start with - Super Famicom Mini w/ C-Sync -> retrogamingcablesUK csync Super Famicom Cable -> to
DB15 -> A1 -- no sync
LM1881 w/ c-sync (75ohm inline on output) DB15 -> A1 -- good works
EL1883 w/ c-sync DB15 -> A1 -- works but loses sync every few seconds
EL1883 w/ HV SYNC DB15 -> A1 -- no sync
GS4981 w/ c-sync DB15 -> A1 -- good works
GS4981 w/ HV SYNC -> A1 -- no sync

I have lots of consoles I can test but I feel the cheapest easiest is the LM1881 w/ 75 ohm impedence on the output

Looks awesome! Next, a downscaler from 31khz to 15khz? :D
Next is getting some Jammafiers back in stock. Thought about a downscaler, but not sure if there's demand - guess it would have to be HDMI input and arcade output.
Does this support 24kHz to 31kHz?
No it does not. The feature got scrapped as I wanted to get the damn thing out + I'm not sure how it would actually look and would require a big rewrite of the fpga stuff
Cool! It would be nice if downscaler coming on A1. system y kof2002um on crt 21" or ps2 to 240p.

@invzim it has arrived ! i updated the firmware (didnt know which ver was on there?) and tested with a super famicom. needed to use a sync stripper to get it to work with the default ini file - to be expected.

I was wondering, do you have a detailed howto on all the settings available in the ini file ? Am I able to use the button B (or any spare button) for useful stuff like switching between arcade RGB or SYNC so that I dont need to modify the ini file all the time ?

I think I will stick with using one of @Frank_fjs 's sync booster with sync stripper for now and leave it in arcade mode. I will test this later on my NNC 29" CRT, my aim is to use this Retro Scaler A1 as a universal means of connecting anything (except an arcade PCB) to my Astro cab w/ NNC monitor.

SO far the picture is amazing, just on broadcast Sony LCD monitor, will test more later on. Thanks for the super fast service :) now I can get back to grinding Zelda1 runs out.
It's basically just sync and rgb line level you need to set:
https://irkenlabs.com/retro-scaler-a1/connect-a-source

B button doesn't do much for now, the idea is/was to have an on-screen-display, but decided current firmware was useful enough for enough people to release the scaler. IF your consoles are modded 'standard', you should be able to just set rgb=75-ohm and sync=scart and not use any other device in front.

Back