What's new
I've only ever heard rumor of a none "crackle" version of NiTD. I've owned the JPN cart and currently own the US releases of the game.

You have to remember that these games were meant to be played in loud arcades, I dont think sound quality was a focus for a lot of third party developers. Even games from Noise Factory had crackling ( see the Win quote screen from RoTD for example. ).

Honestly, someone should just make a rom hack where they replace / fix the sound and we just call it a day.

I do find it strange that the pirates would spend time fixing the audio as opposed to them just stumbling on a legit cart with the fix already in place.

EDIT: so I started searching for more info on this, and I forgot @twistedsymphony had shared this in the past:

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=1850

Why can it sound fine on a xx-in-1 multicart then?

Last edited:
I've only ever heard rumor of a none "crackle" version of NiTD. I've owned the JPN cart and currently own the US releases of the game.

You have to remember that these games were meant to be played in loud arcades, I dont think sound quality was a focus for a lot of third party developers. Even games from Noise Factory had crackling ( see the Win quote screen from RoTD for example. ).

Honestly, someone should just make a rom hack where they replace / fix the sound and we just call it a day.
Wonder if that would involve hacking a V rom or the actual M rom? We have some true wizards in these forums but I wonder if someone would be interested in takin on this challenge :/

I for one would chip in some cash if we were to have a bounty or something :)

I do find it strange that the pirates would spend time fixing the audio as opposed to them just stumbling on a legit cart with the fix already in place.

EDIT: so I started searching for more info on this, and I forgot @twistedsymphony had shared this in the past:

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=1850

Why can it sound fine on a xx-in-1 multicart then?

My guess is its a side affect from improper implementation of the PCM. Kind of the flip side to some games having messed up sounds effects.

Wonder if that would involve hacking a V rom or the actual M rom? We have some true wizards in these forums but I wonder if someone would be interested in takin on this challenge :/

I for one would chip in some cash if we were to have a bounty or something :)

It would be in the V Rom.

Reactions: nem
So I had some free time today and decided to dig into NiTD.

I was able to identify the sound sample in the V rom and completely remove it, however the crackling was still there. I was starting to think the issue was with the sound driver itself, but it looks like the sound driver "Ver 3.0 by MAKOTO.04/03/10 to SK" is used in a bunch of other games including first party titles.

Last edited:
So I had some free time today and decided to dig into NiTD.

I was able to identify the sound sample in the V rom and completely remove it, however the crackling was still there. I was starting to think the issue was with the sound driver itself, but it looks like the sound driver "Ver 3.0 by MAKOTO.04/03/10 to SK" is used in a bunch of other games including first party titles.
So strange. That would seem to confirm that the problem isn't the sample itself, but something else.

Ok, I lied it was the sound sample.

The way I was previously removing the sample to test was introducing crackling so the problem was still there.

The fix is as easy as patching a single byte in the V Rom. :thumbup:

Code:
260-v1.v1:
0x50820: 6E -> 08

Anyways, as soon as I had this figured out. Some hacker, hacked into my PC and stole the patched ROM. It also looks like they uploaded it somewhere on the net to share. Some people have no respect!!! Anyways if you want to find out more about this hacker's link to the patched rom, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Hello
Thanks for the hard work
Any chance to have the changelog address for "272-v1.v1" and "272-v2.v2" to patch samsh5sp binaries with winhex ? ;)
(i don't have mister)

Thanks a lot !
Nicolas

Hello
Thanks for the hard work
Any chance to have the changelog address for "272-v1.v1" and "272-v2.v2" to patch samsh5sp binaries with winhex ? ;)
(i don't have mister)

Thanks a lot !
Nicolas
it's the same address since it only affects v1. You either split the patched vroma0 or hex edit v1.

Hello

Understand.

I’ve tried to find the hex chain inside 272-v1.v1 without any success, on the first 2 bytes can be found..

At the offset address : 0x50820, the bytes are not corresponding at all..

Thanks

so, reply in the wrong thread :)
Ok, waiting Niko for offset feedback, sorry but i cannot find anything at the provided offset in the main post

Last edited:
What are you trying to modify? You do know the offsets are for decrypted v roms?

I would like to patch the v1 VROM SS5S files in order to burn and install them later on my MVS cart (boot cart). Niko provide me the decrypted VROM file for SS5P, so if I understand what you trying to say, the SS5S 272-v1.v1 is encrypted and cannot be modified, and I must find somewhere the decrypted SS5S VROM files ? (files related and included in samsh5sp.zip are not the good one ?)

Thanks

Understand,

so the right information for someone who want to patch the original encrypted 272-v1.v1 in the encrypted sets samsh5sp.zip files are the follow one :
https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/status-samsho-v-special-redump.253075/
thanks to neodev, niko and razoola this is awesome.

just to note which are the correct values:
in order to make the value at 0x60bc0 be 0x08, the encrypted value present at 0x00000 should be 0x43 (it is 0xE0)
in order to make the value at 0x160bc0 be 0x82, the encrypted value present at 0x00001 should be 0xC9 (it is 0x25)

---

The following patch below is 100% working, tested on Final Burn Neo 1.0.0.02 today.

Original DATA
computed CRC32 for original 272-v1.v1 file : 76A94127
computed MD5 for original 272-v1.v1 file : 4EB7425EC8F34D92C7013D5261F95040

Capture d’écran 2022-11-19 à 15.38.12.png

Modified DATA
computed CRC32 for original 272-v1.v1 file : E8A24A52
computed MD5 for original 272-v1.v1 file : FBF7AF0E61F9260762351C878D366C26

Capture d’écran 2022-11-19 à 15.38.41.png

so my simple question is the following one now :
is this encrypted VROM can be used directly on a boot cart or did i need to decrypt it before providing it to someone who can burn it ? :)

Back