What's new
Item has been found

PaulWoodpross3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Zax Amusements in Australia I finally acquired this one.
Hello,

Anyone worldwide have a Scud Race DX Board set or just the individual Model 3 Step 1.5 ROM Board? This is the very first version from 1996 and it is single player only, non-linkable. One of the main program chips is labeled epr-19610a.17.

This version is different from the later releases because the AI of the cars is slightly different, it is single player only, and it has altered drifting mechanics. As I have the Plus version already, and I enjoy Scud Race to death, I'd like to have a slightly different version of the game to play in my Japanese sit down Lemans 24 cabinet.

There was one guy on eBay selling the individual chips, but I bought from him before and he blocked me after I returned a transit-damaged PCB off his hands. What a clown.

DM me or let me know if you have this specific version of Scud Race/Sega Super GT. Thx

Last edited:
That version is in Mame. You could just romswap any Scud Race board.

That version is in Mame. You could just romswap any Scud Race board.
It is, and technically I could burn up chips since it is just a clone ROM. Though I was kinda looking for them OEM; I see it every now and then.
I burned an entire Model 3 Step 2 ROM board to Emergency Call Ambulance once, using a GQ4X4 programmer and the 16-bit socket adapter.

Reactions: nem
Update: I did get my hands on what was previously an undumped version of this particular software, shipped all the way from Australia to my US door! The existing set in MAME is 'Revision A', which this particular ROM Board had no Revision number on it, hence why I acquired it.

Differences to the Twin/Plus version:
- Cars in different order (Ferrari, Viper, Porsche, and McLaren instead of Porsche, Ferrari, Viper, and McLaren)
- STANDING START on Beginner Day and Night (Rolling Start was introduced in Revision A)
- Altered car physics; you do not get an acceleration boost while drifting, but there is not as much oversteer as the final game.
- Drive Board Initialization screen does not show game settings on machine boot-up
- When country is set as USA, the name SCUD RACE still appears on title screen
- Additional CPU cars in the Medium and Expert courses

I'm assuming this was a Japan-only release and used for location testing here in US and other countries. I messaged both Ken Westerfield and Andy Geezer and they never had this ROM.

After playing this extensively in my cab, I can honestly say it feels like a totally different game from the Plus version. It's almost like a real sequel to Daytona with the way the cars handle, and that's not a bad thing.

It has now been added to MAME and Supermodel developer gm_matthew has patched this to work on the emulator (it uses different SCSI access code from the existing set), but the patches are not on the repository on Github yet.

The set is named scuddxo, and it is the first "production" version of Scud Race known to exist, meant for DX or single player cabinets:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/sega/model3.cpp

Attachments

• scuddxo Select.jpg
    scuddxo Select.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 24
  • SCUD Beginner day standing start.jpg
    SCUD Beginner day standing start.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi, great treasure and thanks for dumping this rare game.
I'm looking forward to emulation in Supermodel..:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back