What's new

mourix

Student
Reaction score
After lusting for a candy cab since my teens I'm now almost 30 years old and an electrical engineer. So better late than never, I finally got hold of an Astro City 2 needing lots of tech maintenance and a bit of a refurb.

The Astro City 2 is a special edition that shipped with Virtua Fighter. Besides of adding bigger speakers, they upgraded the power supply and made an extended area in the back in order to fit the Sega Model 1 multi board stack. This thread will be my restoration log, and I am also updating the AO wiki with everything I can find out about this underdocumented cab :unsure:

So let's start. I got this cab for a good price sold as "High voltage turns on for a few seconds and then the screen stays black".

Q16NKwCh.jpg
v3kYVmIh.jpg

Before turning it on, I did a visual inspection. Seems the previous owner got scared of the cab not having a grounded plug so he botched in his own.. poorly. Lets see:

lHWrJsRh.jpg
0vBu2Mkh.jpg

Besides the extra cable flapping around and screws being loose, the ground screw was fully stripped and I pulled one of the 100V wires straight from the ferrule without trying. Let's put that back in order first.

aig5r1xh.jpg
zIoC4Cuh.jpg

Now time to actually try it. I turned it on and was greeted with this:

huSNll2h.jpg

A bit later I measured the power supply on the jamma pins and noticed -5V is missing. I turned down the brightness quite a bit to be safe and plugged in a Neo Geo board to get the picture below after twiddling the hold pots.

jEBFm7Ph.jpg

After about about 10 seconds the screen width suddenly expanded and the chassis started squeeling.. Ouch.

The next step is pulling the PSU and Nanao MS8 chassis for some reflowing and recapping action.

Last edited:
The control panel had this Virtua Fighter Kids instruction plate and the classic super yellow coin slot.

d2bgNjbh.jpg

First let's clean and retrobright some. Funnily enough, most of the yellow was easy to wipe off with rubbing alcohol. Maybe quite a bit was actually nicotine?

U67EUwKl.jpg
5ic3eGlm.jpg

I actually ended up making my own Instruction Space plate design as the repros one can easily get in Europe are not accurate yet really costly. I attached my rough design for anyone to print , but it would be amazing if anyone here could scan theirs for me to make it truly accurate.

So without further ado:

j6FSy99h.jpg

Recap time. First off the Sega 400-5220 power supply.

Mh4OaBol.jpg
Uhb1Y78l.jpg

The Astro City 2 has this special upgraded power supply that in-cooperates two power supplies in one in order to handle the Virtua Fighter PCB stack once again. There is one normal +5V7A-12V1.5A-5V0.1A pcb, and an additional 5V12A board:

37jH0g0l.jpg
IqW9MTCl.jpg

What they both have in common were these horrible Marcon caps. I'd say about 60% were leaking horribly. So I recapped it all with 105C 3000h+ caps from Panasonic and Nichicon.

naEtRuWl.jpg

Not to forget: the missing negative 5V rail was this litttle fella:

vg4TGe2l.jpg

The monitor is the Nanao MS8-29FSG which is more common. Again, lots of leaky cap galore..

8m7Mm3ol.jpg
2nEI5gnl.jpg

After reassembly I got this:

VnoCoIRl.jpg

Tweaking the flyback screen and general brightness brought it right back in for me to enjoy my Neo Geo MV1C board breaking down on me again :cursing:

MMzXv3dl.jpg

Eventually I got impatient and ordered a Pandora Saga DX box to get some life outta this thing. The geometry is not 100% but boy does it look pretty.

jOiPANGh.jpg

The emulation on the Pandora is miserable though. Next part will be getting a proper Groovymame setup inside :saint:

To finally bring this topic back from the dead: PCB shelfs!

According to the manual, the Astro City 2 fit the Virtua Fighter PCB stack in the back using a custom bracket kit. I haven't seen any Astro 2 having one anymore as I guess they got removed together with the PCB. However, the front is like a normal Astro Cab, so I can add the normal wooden plank.

I went bicycling to the hardware store with plastic bags due to Dutch rain and had proper 12mm plywood pre cut:

CsWr6xLh.jpeg

Some drilling action later there was this:

e0S1RgMh.jpeg

Some measuring, drilling, sawing, cursing, cutting, getting rained on and cursing again later there was also this awesome coin box shelf:

fXQsKWxh.jpeg

Up next: GrooveMAME :)

Last edited:
Very cool! I have an Astro City 2 with few issues I still need to sort out. Yours looks great!

Back