What's new
update on my end, Thanks to help from @Cereth with graciously providing reference harnesses (and gentle prodding and reminders), This is the next mass-produced project I have on my bench

This will be a full kit, meaning

Serial cable - 4 ft (605-022?) (thank you for the pinout above, @twistedsymphony!)
Home button harness (605-0226)

Length wise, this should help out with the peeps who have the card reader in the center of the cabinet, rather than right on the CP.

I also have a harness that plugs the card reader into the button harness with a pass through (605-0229) but given that I'll be including the Serial cable itself, I'm not sure that's needed.

I will be making 50 sets.

I'll try to keep the cost on these as low as possible but damned if the connectors aren't as rare as hen's teeth, it seems.

I'll definitely take at minimum the serial cable.

Might take a whole set depending on price.

Thanks for getting back to this one, really appreciate you.

Parts are slowly rolling in for the P.RAS/Ringedge multi home button and card reader harnesses I will be doing a batch of.
50 complete harnesses:

Attachments

• 83FAAD3D-1C6F-44E3-9B4E-87F01BCC5623.jpeg
    83FAAD3D-1C6F-44E3-9B4E-87F01BCC5623.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 175
This was the pinout I calculated:
colors are obviously from the card reader side of the connector.

JST SM Series connector
1 red: power connector Vcc (+5V)
2 orange: RS232 Pin 3 (TX)
3 pink: RS232 Pin 2 (RX)
4 black: RS232 Pin 5 (GND)
5 blue: N/A (alt RS232 TX)
6 green: N/A (alt RS232 RX)
7 black: N/A (alt RS232 GND)
8 black: power connector Vss (GND)

it's possible I have the RX / TX pins backwards but if you could confirm the pinout with your harness that would be awesome :)
to add to this, primarily because I'm an I D I O T , here's the pinout for the 9 pin. We want pins 2, 3, and 5:

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 3.21.00 AM.png

With this, I'm ready to release these puppies. I'll update my thread.

This info is here to assist others in making their own cables :D

Sorry to necro this but I'm building a harness for my Aime reader+RE2, can anyone explain how the home button is wired? This is for personal use, don't plan on selling it.

so ... this home button is supposed to do what exactly? bring you back to the menu just like the test button?!

so ... this home button is supposed to do what exactly? bring you back to the menu just like the test button?!
Yeah, except I don't think the test button does that in the non-Niko APM multi, so it's the only way to return to menu.

Yeah, except I don't think the test button does that in the non-Niko APM multi, so it's the only way to return to menu.
ok ... cause I have the wiring for the whole thing but it does nothing so I guess I have the niko multi?

From what I understand (have not tested yet myself) in the Niko multi the home button should bring you back to the menu. The Niko multi looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/PTGbBCl.jpg

This is something I have heard secondhand so maybe it doesn't. Maybe you have to hold it down for a short time or something.

Thanks for the assistance here guys, was able to build the Aime & home button harness and get the official APM multi up and running. It's cool but it takes ages to boot, I haven't timed it but feels like 20 minutes, with a button press in between.

PXL_20221105_200622409.jpg

Reactions: nem
Thanks for the assistance here guys, was able to build the Aime & home button harness and get the official APM multi up and running. It's cool but it takes ages to boot, I haven't timed it but feels like 20 minutes, with a button press in between.

PXL_20221105_200622409.jpg
Ayyy have a link to the apm multi? Is this niko’s?

Ayyy have a link to the apm multi? Is this niko’s?
No this is the official Sega multi, as used in arcades. Same games as a Niko multi (but without the ability to add stuff like Virtua Tennis 4). Takes f o r e v e r to boot. It does save settings and scores unlike the Niko multi. Requires an Aime reader connected and home button to return to menu. There's no way to download this as far as I know, you have to get an RE2 from Cereth with it loaded ($250). I tried putting the drives in another multi-badged RE2 and it didn't work with error 0701 so I think it's tied to the mainboard SN.

Pluses of the official multi: cool menu, saves scores/settings
Minuses: Seriously the boot time takes ages, no "extra" games, requires reader to boot, if/when it dies you're done

Pluses of Niko: Fast boot, extra games can be added (but it's a pain to do so), you can always make a new drive if it dies and it will work on any RE2
Minuses: settings/scores don't save when you switch games, menu not as cool as the real deal

EDIT: I verified the home button works same way both on Niko and official APM, so if anyone wants to leave games without using test (must be in attract mode, not during gameplay), hit up Lemony for that harness

Last edited:
Ahh, I see. If you got that from Cereth then I know how it’s done :)
No this is the official Sega multi, as used in arcades. Same games as a Niko multi (but without the ability to add stuff like Virtua Tennis 4). Takes f o r e v e r to boot. It does save settings and scores unlike the Niko multi. Requires an Aime reader connected and home button to return to menu. There's no way to download this as far as I know, you have to get an RE2 from Cereth with it loaded ($250). I tried putting the drives in another multi-badged RE2 and it didn't work with error 0701 so I think it's tied to the mainboard SN.

Pluses of the official multi: cool menu, saves scores/settings
Minuses: Seriously the boot time takes ages, no "extra" games, requires reader to boot, if/when it dies you're done

Pluses of Niko: Fast boot, extra games can be added (but it's a pain to do so), you can always make a new drive if it dies and it will work on any RE2
Minuses: settings/scores don't save when you switch games, menu not as cool as the real deal

EDIT: I verified the home button works same way both on Niko and official APM, so if anyone wants to leave games without using test (must be in attract mode, not during gameplay), hit up Lemony for that harness

Back