What's new
The button remapping would be nice to have in the SG itself but I doubt most will be using some DB15 accessory too often and I would presume most will use the UD converter which already has button remapping.
Almost - HAS additionally allows to set button clones and offers VSync synchronized rapid-fire (with a few different rates to choose from).

Looks like the Sentinel is quite similar to HAS now, but I'm sure we handle pre and post CSync differently, perhaps the R/G/B lines, too.

To me they are both absolutely phenomenal superguns, and I have a place for them both in my setup. HAS will be on a big PVM for horizontal games, and I'll use the Sentinel on a big vertical PVM. Heck, I could use three more superguns actually if I wanted to have all of my PVMs going at once :D

The main differences to me are:
HAS has highly configurable auto-fire
HAS also has a better ISL59885 sync circuit (LM1881in the Sentinel)
HAS button mapping makes a lot of PCBs usable that would otherwise need custom JAMMA harnesses
HAS has Saturn adapters and lots of kicks

Sentinel has SNES & Genesis adapters
Sentinel has ATX PSU input (although PCBs should almost always have arcade PSUs ;) )
Sentinel plans to be in constant production (I think)
Sentinel is more affordable

We live in a golden era to be spoiled with these two fine options. I just can't believe how far superguns have evolved since the old (dangerous!) pass-through adapters.

Naturally the new design has delayed things and cost has risen.

The previous design is finalised and ready to go, and depending on how things pan out I may still be able to offer it as a more cost effective alternative. When I showed it to people here you all called for major alterations which led me to develop the new supergun, and with those changes and added features costs have risen.

The new design has significant overhead just with the PCB costs alone. We're talking a 4 layer PCB as opposed to 2 layer. Gold immersion finish as opposed to HASL. 2oz copper weight as opposed to 1oz. Matt finish etc.

All that said, the final price is still insanely fair given the cost of components, countless hours of development, assembly time and $1000s spent on prototype PCBs and trial of parts.

I haven't crunched the numbers in a definitive way but I'm looking in the range of $120 to $150 US for the deluxe model and quite a bit less if I were to pursue the original design. My profits are in the low double digits so don't expect it to be any lower than this.

I don't wish to be viewed as a competitor to HAS, just as an alternative. Sometimes it's good to have options.

HAS has a great feature which I won't implement, button remapping.

Other than that I'd say we're on a similar level now, with a few subtle differences.

I'm using ATX as the main power connection which brings certain advantages like being able to utilise a power switch on the supergun itself and use of a Pico power supply. I've also incorporated onboard negative 5V generation to cover ATX supplies that don't have it available, HAS wouldn't need this feature as RGB has designed it around using an arcade PSU which generally have -5V available. My supergun has the option of utilising an arcade PSU via an additional wiring harness.

Mine uses a Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RGB scart cable for both video and audio output. HAS uses an 8 pin mini DIN cable for audio and video output with the option of a 3.5mm headphone connector for separated audio output.

I have a dipswitch to enable / disable buttons 4,5,6 from the jamma edge.

Both have composite and s-video options available via a separate accessory PCB.

Both have 3P/4P adapters.

I've got Snes and Mega Drive controller adapters whereas HAS has Saturn.

Both are UD USB compatible.

I think that covers most of it, though some info may be inaccurate on account of an awesome new HAS design being revealed and I don't yet know what features RGB has added.
I'm probably in the minority, but button remapping would be important to me since I play fighting games (mostly Capcom) over any other genre. My first experience with a SG was the Retroelectronik (I know, I know, but I couldn't wait months to fire up the Naomi to see it work and I had a coupon that was expiring) and found that every SG out there has different pinouts for their DB-15. I had to seek out a custom DB-9 kick harness from JNX and UD USB Decoder. The UD USB Decoders aren't readily available (DB-15 or terminal blocks) and had to wait months for me to get them from the official vendor. They finally came in stock last week (terminal block only) and sold out within a day. Before that, I got lucky and got an older UD from eBay. It was a split terminal version. I followed the pinout graphic of all the current SG that are available out there and had to troubleshoot the kick buttons. Simple re-wiring and it worked. Looking up on eBay I saw the Retro SG's Genesis adapter have the correct pinouts listed in the auction, but not listed on their official site. Not sure if I would run into the same issue with the button mapping on the UD DB-15s.
TL; DR It was a time consuming mission to get my controllers to work on my SG.

Can't wait to purchase! :) Are you taking a list - or just working off this forum?

Matt

Does anyone know where to source a potentiometer shaft to suit Piher PT10's? The part I'm looking for is a 6064 / 6064NE.
pt-10-6064-bk-6064ne-1.jpg

As pictured above.

Just saves me having to 3D print my own.

Life is funny sometimes. A few minutes after my post above regarding the pot shafts, the mailman delivers me these awesome looking knobs and shafts, courtesy of @oneleaf86

They look, fit and work perfectly, thanks man! Don't even need the end caps, it's quite a firm press fit.
PART_1538536432628.jpg

I would also like to be added on the wait list please. Thanks.

Deluxe please.

Last edited:
I don't remember if I asked already (probably did, but whatever), but I'd love to be on that wait list. Thanks :)

Back