What's new
Why not use a wired GameCube fightstick?
You totally can, I'm not sure how it would stack up against its JVS enabled big bro in terms of lag.
Was kind of a failure on Madcatz part if you ask me, after all this is the official TvsC stick.

51GNWL5m9EL._SX425_.jpg

Heh, the arcade version has the superior control... It uses JVS, which as I understand it has waaaaay less input lag than the wireless bluetooth protocol Wiimotes use.Even the TvsC sticks (Madcatz made) plug into the Wiimote (and not directly into the console) so its all lag city.
Why not use a wired GameCube fightstick?
Exactly. If you are concerned w/ wireless lag, you use a Wii that has wired GC ports on it.
-ud

But but but... Official stick! ;(
5oTSgwU.png
Officially licensed. Anyone can throw lots of money at Capcom/Nintendo to get rights to make a licensed peripheral. For what it's worth, it probably performs the same as the nunchuck or classic controller, so from Nintendo's perspective, it's golden. You can't expect them to care beyond that.
-ud

Oh no, it was released but you need one disc per game
Heh, the arcade version has the superior control... It uses JVS, which as I understand it has waaaaay less input lag than the wireless bluetooth protocol Wiimotes use.Even the TvsC sticks (Madcatz made) plug into the Wiimote (and not directly into the console) so its all lag city.
But but but... Official stick! ;(
5oTSgwU.png
Officially licensed. Anyone can throw lots of money at Capcom/Nintendo to get rights to make a licensed peripheral. For what it's worth, it probably performs the same as the nunchuck or classic controller, so from Nintendo's perspective, it's golden. You can't expect them to care beyond that.-ud
Please don't spread FUD.

The Wiimote input latency is less than a single frame. And even if it were higher, Madcatz or any other vendor would've been out of their minds manufacturing Wii controllers that didn't fit on any other Wii model than the first generation, and which would've in fact been just rebranded Gamecube controllers in the eyes of the gaming world.

There may or may not be a significant amount of lag difference between your TvsC Wii setup and the arcade cabinet, which could be attributed to a number of things that I'm sure members of this forum would be happy to help you out with determining and potentially addressing. But it would be appreciated if you didn't jump the gun based on your assumptions, call it "lag city" and then proceed to bash stick manufacturers for making Wii peripherals.

I suggest you start out by determining your own capability. Try and find out these things:

1) Reaction time. How long is the delay between a visual stimulus and your reaction? There are plenty of online tests for this.

2) Reaction accuracy. How accurately can you hit a visual cue? The 240p test suite contains something called a "manual lag test" which can be used for testing this.

To give some idea, most people's reaction time is somewhere between 200ms and 350ms. I cannot say what might be the average reaction accuracy, but I do know that not even the most dedicated of speedrunners, who've spent thousands of hours practicing, can reach 100% accuracy with frame perfect tricks. Common estimates among the elite runners is that somewhere roughly around 80% accuracy is humanly achievable. I cannot personally claim to reach even 50%.

If you remain convinced that lag in your setup is far greater than your skills demand for, first ensure your display isn't the culprit. Vast majority of flat displays have more than a single frame of lag.

The Wiimote input latency is less than a single frame
Not saying this is wrong but do you have a link to any tests that has confirmed that?

If you remain convinced that lag in your setup is far greater than your skills demand for, first ensure your display isn't the culprit
I think you're missing the point... the point is that human reaction time sucks and so does display lag. Input lag from your control device just compounds it further, so if you have the ability it reduce that lag, be it with a better control setup, or a faster display, it's worth doing to improve the overall experience.

Who cares if he's a speed-runner, or pro-gamer or just some guy who wants the best equipment he can afford?

Also you may want to check jassin000's post history, as he's the resident expert in reducing display lag and has probably spent more than anyone on this site in the pursuit of the lowest lag flat panel setups.

Last edited:
just my .02 - there is human reaction time (250ms) which is basically the time it takes from something happening to you actually pressing a button. Like this: https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

But we're talking about input lag, on an input device -- it's the time after the 250ms reaction time we all suffer. When I finally do initiate an input, it still takes some XXms for the pathway back to my device, then registered on-screen. I want my inputs to feel immediate, because let's face it, I'm already 250ms slow.

I can 'feel' that my input hasn't registered immediately, if it's as little as 30ms after my press, even if i'm not reacting to it (like a corrective action) for another 250ms. Wired controllers (baseline) always felt immediate, and the input->register time is probably sub 10ms. Xbox had the first 'immediate' wireless controllers and I think they were around 8ms with RF. I dunno what Wii is, but I'm just saying the 250ms part doesn't really matter.

And now I've just posted in a lag debate, so I feel kinda dirty...

Last edited:
The Wiimote input latency is less than a single frame.
I've never seen it stated but let's just say that this single frame is correct.
I'd still refer to this as "lag city" because to me any addition lag (not present in the arcade version) is too much lag.

I have invested lots of time researching LCD/OLED panels, but admittedly I have not spent this same amount of time on input lag.
I do understand the point about the Madcatz stick, if they had made it Gamecube wired it wouldn't work period on Blue Wii's (or any Wii that removed GC support).

To me it's just sad Nintendo designed the Wii with wireless being really its only official input.
Again some Wii's have GC ports, but unless every single Wii has them they can't be used officially.

Back