What's new
Actually I take back the jumpers thing -- I think 27c800 is a direct replacement for that chip (for example here's a straight swap http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442), so 27c160 should be pin compatible except for the higher address line (that isn't used). If you doubled the image (wrote A B A B in four passes) then I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. Unless there is a fault between P1 and the rest of the system.

You could boot into the normal mvs crosshatch/test menu, then press D for memory viewer, then scroll down to like row 100. You should see "NEO-GEO" on the side. Something like this

1673744767648.png

That would at least confirm the first (boot) bank is in the right spot

Actually I take back the jumpers thing -- I think 27c800 is a direct replacement for that chip (for example here's a straight swap http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442), so 27c160 should be pin compatible except for the higher address line (that isn't used). If you doubled the image (wrote A B A B in four passes) then I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. Unless there is a fault between P1 and the rest of the system.

You could boot into the normal mvs crosshatch/test menu, then press D for memory viewer, then scroll down to like row 100. You should see "NEO-GEO" on the side. Something like this

1673744767648.png

That would at least confirm the first (boot) bank is in the right spot

Will make another pass at writing the EPROM after adding a socket to the P1 spot (tired of desoldering things). But, even if the EPROM were blank I should get consistent CRC values from UniBIOS, which I'm not. Each time I run the test I get a different value (I've tested other carts to confirm that this is unique to this one). So something is causing inconstant reads from the P1 ROM (and possibly others).

If you open up that memory viewer, we can see a snapshot of what the P1 contents are being read as, then take it from there. Maybe close an re-open it and see how it's different. Chances are there's some address or data line that's not being consistent and that will help guide things.

If you open up that memory viewer, we can see a snapshot of what the P1 contents are being read as, then take it from there. Maybe close an re-open it and see how it's different. Chances are there's some address or data line that's not being consistent and that will help guide things.

Got some read/write errors when trying to reprogram the P1, put it back under the UV for awhile along with another couple 27C160s. Checked my bootleg pile to see if I could find anything else to try, but the 27C160s seem to be the chip of choice other than 29L1611GPC, which I'm not familiar with. Seems to be 16Mb flash memory but can't find a pin out so going to ignore it. Did find a seemingly complete original KoF 98 in the pile. So wasn't a total loss.

Edit: found the 29L1611GPC data sheet. https://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/macronix/MX29L1611PC-10.pdf looks pin compatible, but not sure I can erase and write to it. Will have to check.

So I think it's fixed? I reprogrammed a 27C160 for the P1, and the cart appears to be working correctly. What's more I get a consistent CRC value that matches the CRC of the ROM image. I'll print out some labels and close up the cartridge for a more through test. Thanks @ekorz for stepping me through this.

1673823158623.jpeg
crc32 ./093-p1.p1
a1a71d0d

Nice! I’ve had plenty of flakey 27c160s so I hope that’s all it was. That’s also why I prefer that 1615 part

Nice! I’ve had plenty of flakey 27c160s so I hope that’s all it was. That’s also why I prefer that 1615 part
Out of curiosity, what programmer do you use? The Tl866 is great for the price, but I'd kind of like to find something able to handle more than 512Kb at a time and that has better device support.

Edit: Quick video of me losing at Bomberman showing it working correctly.
No audio, seems I still need to fiddle with my capture setup.

Last edited:
I use a xeltek superpro 610p. I got one from a third party seller and it was like half price (200 vs 400), but it’s worked fine. Looking online I see what appear to be 610p devices for only like 70 bucks. Phew! If they are clones but work the same, that’s a phenomenal upgrade from what you have. But yeah I can’t vouch for the sellers unfortunately.

Had a top3000 but got tired of a few quirks it had.

I use a xeltek superpro 610p. I got one from a third party seller and it was like half price (200 vs 400), but it’s worked fine. Looking online I see what appear to be 610p devices for only like 70 bucks. Phew! If they are clones but work the same, that’s a phenomenal upgrade from what you have. But yeah I can’t vouch for the sellers unfortunately.

Had a top3000 but got tired of a few quirks it had.
Got a link to one of the clones (I see them listed on aliexpress, but the ~70$ is a bait and switch)? Will keep an eye out on the ebays as well, nothing I'm going to rush into just yet but want to start doing some research as to what's out there.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no idea what the $70 ones are. Back in the day I thought maybe I was getting scammed for buying the $200 version, but it works great with official software. So I dunno? Tempting though!

Yeah I have no idea what the $70 ones are. Back in the day I thought maybe I was getting scammed for buying the $200 version, but it works great with official software. So I dunno? Tempting though!

From what I can see, the $70 is just for a handful of adapters with an up-sell to a 400$ kit. Ah well.
1673835400633.png

I have made more than 20 tapes with this programmer in pieces from 512 with TL866Plus.
Of course it is very frustrating when you have to do the 27c322
I made also Bomberman a few days ago.

I have made more than 20 tapes with this programmer in pieces from 512 with TL866Plus.
Of course it is very frustrating when you have to do the 27c322
I made also Bomberman a few days ago.

Ended up getting a Wellon VP598. It's... OK. Couldn't get it to work in a virtual machine, and you have to disable driver signing in Windows to get the USB to serial driver to work. But otherwise it seems solid.

Example unit (I paid a fair amount less): https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803519168672.html

what made you choose this model over the superpro 610?

Price, got it cheap enough that even if it's a stop gap I won't feel it much. And frankly the specs and compatibility list is solid, it's just the unsigned drivers that are problematic.

Back