What's new
The problem is, it will be a crapshoot to combine / split the files...
Can try stacking the file onto an 160 and jumping the upper address line directly to the CPU.

I'd be tempted to test the varth bootleg program rom (smaller/1 rom) just to see if the board is running....

Can try stacking the file onto an 160 and jumping the upper address line directly to the CPU.

I'd be tempted to test the varth bootleg program rom (smaller/1 rom) just to see if the board is running....
Thanks for your continued patience with my efforts to get this board working, appreciated!

You'll need to give me a bit more information on the varth ROM, is it a cut down version of the game?

Yes, the romset is street fighter 2 (RK bootleg) the set i sent ;)
Seems it comes on a single chip for this board.
Try stacking the file , you may get lucky!

You'll need to give me a bit more information on the varth ROM, is it a cut down version of the game?
Search varthb2.zip for mame, interleave the rom into 1 file, or run it on 2 chips via your sub board
there's no graphics dumps for this set sadly but the program runs well on this board ;)

Progress!!!

I stacked the ROM set and expanded the filesize to be able to split it into 4 x 512kb chunks to burn sequentially via my TL866ii plus programmer and adapter board.
I tried several times to burn the to the four banks as per the instructions for the adapter only for it to keep failing on writing to bank 2.
This really confused me, was it the adapter, the programmer or the eprom?
I was copying the dip switch settings visually as per the adapter instructions until I noticed that the address numbers and the dip switch illustrated didn't match the adapter board and the numbers are in fact reversed on the instruction sheet???
This board seems to be from PCBWay and is sold widely on auction sites etc.
Only after I set the dip switches to actually match the address numbers on the adapter did it burn all banks of the 27c160.

I installed the combined ROM on the board and for the first time I'm getting activity on the address and data lines. Still no moving image but definitely communication going on now between CPU, ROM etc.

Compare the photo of the adapter with the supplied instructions, clearly an error here.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 90
  • instructions.jpg
    instructions.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 90
Yeah, those instructions look completely wrong to me. I have a similar adapter and I start with all dips set on, burn first file, turn A18 off, burn second file, turn A18 back on and turn A19 off, etc. So with the adapter facing you like in your photo it should be:

1 = ON, 0 = OFF

Do all 8 steps for a 27C322, first 4 for a 27C160, first 2 for a 27C800

Yeah, those instructions look completely wrong to me. I have a similar adapter and I start with all dips set on, burn first file, turn A18 off, burn second file, turn A18 back on and turn A19 off, etc. So with the adapter facing you like in your photo it should be:

1 = ON, 0 = OFF

Do all 8 steps for a 27C322, first 4 for a 27C160, first 2 for a 27C800
Thanks for confirming that I'm not going mad and for posting the correct dip settings. It easy to work out when you know but if you just blindly follow the dip switch images then it's not going to work.
Not good that these instructions are referenced for these commonly sold boards.

Last edited:
Now I'm getting some activity throughout the board I'd thought I'd pick on a few suspect IC's to check.

Starting with this 7404 adjacent to the 74245's which seems to have some missing inputs?

1 no input
2 no output
3 no input
4 no output
5 low
6 high
8 low
9 no input
10 high
11 low
12 low
13 high

ground and Vcc are fine.

I suppose without an input I need to trace this back to see where this signal should be coming from.

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20220307_141232795_LI.jpg
    InkedPXL_20220307_141232795_LI.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 76
Looking at the 4 x 6116 RAM chips in the middle of the board I'm getting some change to the screen output when probing a a few of the i/o pins.

Also...

Pin 18 CE is reading low
Pin 19 a10 is reading low all other i/o are pulsing.
Pin 20 OE is reading low
Pin 21 WE is reading high should this be reading active low?

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20220326_124544316_LI.jpg
    InkedPXL_20220326_124544316_LI.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 72
I'm thinking that there is a general fault with the 68000 CPU.

On start-up I get all data and address lines active between CPU an the eprom. If I leave it for a few minutes suddenly address and data activity stops completely!

Seems to happen after the same time period. I put a rudimentary temp meter on the CPU and it gets to 38c then all activity stops?

Logic chips don't need all pins connected so you may find blank inputs / outputs that go nowhere.
Multibeeper and eye basically if you are checking for bad lines.

It's not a good idea to leave a faulty pcb running, chips can be fighting each other / latch up can happen and make it worse.

So I've replaced the 68000 CPU and although I can't be 100% it had failed I'm now getting stable data through it without shutdown. Would be interesting what temp it gets up to when running compared to the old one that might be a giveaway.

Last edited:

Can't seem to locate the file Varth2b.zip?

I can't be sure that the consolidated 27c160 eprom I've burned is working but from previous frozen 8/16bit computer experiences I'm going to socket and replace the 4 x 6116 RAM chips in the middle of the board.
They don't seem to be getting too hot which is usually a giveaway but the adjacent 245's seem too warm to me. I'll remove and socket the RAM and see if that makes any difference. I have a de-solder station now so I can remove things without the need to cut chip legs etc. Should really get a RAM tester also but I've blown the budget...
It'll be a short while for the 6116 RAM to be delivered but in the meantime I can socket up ready and maybe swap over and remove the existing to see if it makes any difference.

After a break from this PCB board and a few other successful repairs I returned to this recharged and ready for another go.

I looked at the sf2rk.zip file and used the two files w-5.bin and w-6.bin which are the main CPU files see attached link:
http://78.213.180.135:5080/mame/index.php?console=arcade&name=sf2rk

I doubled each file twice w-5 and w-6 making them 512k and burned each to both banks of a 27c800 eprom.

I'm now getting full activity on all CPU data and address lines and also the two large RAM chips adjacent the eprom. This is the first time I've had this so this is really encouraging.

I have another pair of RAM chips 6116's on the board loc. 136 and 137 and they have a pin stuck high which is making me think I should socket and replace those with new.

I have a screen with static garbled graphics but still no action/movement.

Also what does the offset value relate to for the main CPU files on the above link?

Any thoughts welcome...

Should I try burning the files in a slightly different way?

Thanks for your continued patience with my efforts to get this board working, appreciated!

I recently tried the Varth2b ROM but still no moving output just still garbled graphics I'm afraid!

Is there a mask ROM chip on the board that could be pulled and read that would give away the identity of the correct version the board is meant for?

Might be onto something here?

I've come across a number of bootlegs boards manufactured by Playmark that use a similar daughter board to my bootleg.
http://www.citylan.it/wiki/index.php/File:1680_PCB_component_side.jpg
Interestingly if nothing else it shows how the ROMS are split and mounted on the board.
There are a few different versions I'll give them a go before trying the same with the World Warrior version split in the same way.

Just a little update... For those who are still interested and haven't lost the will to live!

This maybe progress but I've said that before, so I'll curb my excitement.

Reinstalled the ROM board and and burned and fitted SF2 Champion Edition (M8 Bootleg) see photo:

Also added video ground.

All data and address lines from ROM board to CPU are pulsing away nicely.

All 6116 RAM chips on the board pulsing nicely except the bank of 4 in the middle of the board which I've previously replaced with new.

Pin 19 A10 is stuck LOW. This is coming from pin 9 of the HD74LS157P directly below the RAM chips as you look at the pic.

I'm sure I pulled this before and popped in the tester but I may be wrong?

This is a multiplexor so it may be being fed with incorrect inputs from elsewhere so further investigation required.

Here are the readings I'm getting

Pin 1 High (Select)
Pin 2 High (Input 1a)
Pin 3 Low (Input 1b) ??
Pin 4 Low (output 1y)
Pin 5 Pulse (Input 2a)
Pin 6 Low (Input 2b) ??
Pin 7 Low (Output 2y)
Pin 8 Low (Ground)
Pin 9 Low (A10 pin 19 on bank of 6116 x 4 RAMs) (Output 3y)
Pin 10 Low (Input 3b) ??
Pin 11 Low (Input 3a) ??
Pin 12 High (Output 4y)
Pin 13 Pulse (Input 4b)
Pin 14 No reading (Input 4a) ??
Pin 15 Low (Strobe) ??
Pin 16 VCC

Any comments welcome...

Attachments

• PXL_20220502_184004959.jpg
    PXL_20220502_184004959.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20220502_184146614.jpg
    PXL_20220502_184146614.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 70
You are going backwards mate, that romset is for FCRASH hardware.
This is the more superior MSTREET hardware and at least needs a compatible rom.

Here's the daughterboard pinouts, orientation matched to pcb picture.

I just can't see how these would match any available eproms without the need for some serious jumper wires?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• daughterboard_01.jpg
    daughterboard_01.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 71
  • daughterboard_04.jpg
    daughterboard_04.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 72
Back