What's new
I did find this image online which shows two boards with the same 4 x eprom sub board but unfortunately the quality isn't good enough to learn anything from it.

Attachments

• 2-street-fighter-2-bootleg-boards-arcade-jamma.jpg
    2-street-fighter-2-bootleg-boards-arcade-jamma.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 124
That second board is final crash hardware... NOT the same.
The romboard is just a simple splitter.

THE BOARD IS GOOSED in other ways, nothing ROM related... the thing should of fired up with the arrangement before.
Please don't keep banging your head against the wall.

Anyway, you will be able to put this one to the back of the queue soon and fight some easier ones ;)

It may not be scrap, but there's a problem stopping it running that is not program ROM related.
You seem to be under the illusion that a magic romset/ rom config is going to fix the underlying problem... it's not.

Finally!!!!! A boot.... :thumbsup:

After over 2 months of tinkering, checking and burning I finally have a booting SF2 board that clears self checking.

Not having a controller I haven't advanced any further yet but this is more than encouraging.

I wanted to keep going because the condition of the board was cosmetically so good after cleaning. As mentioned before I had address/data lines active in the past but no moving screen action. This kind of told me that the board was good and there was a problem with just finding a matching ROM set. I was getting different logic readings with different ROMs so this told me that IC's weren't actually dead.

It seems that the daughter board only likes the 27c020 eproms so I looked for ROM set that would fit onto 4 eproms 4 x 256kb maincpu files...

I'd been looking through ROM sets on http://adb.arcadeitalia.net and did a search for sf2's that ran on a 10mhz 68000 and burned a set of for maincpu eproms from:

Steetfighter II: The World Warrior (TAB Austria, bootleg, set 2)

ce91e-a maincpu
ce91e-b maincpu
prg part 1.stt maincpu
prg part 2.stt maincpu

If it won't advance from this RAM test screen it may not be the absolute correct final ROM version but I'm getting closer.

Anyway a few pics attached.

Attachments

• sf2_boot_03.jpg
    sf2_boot_03.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 111
  • sf2_boot_02.jpg
    sf2_boot_02.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 109
  • sf2_boot_01.jpg
    sf2_boot_01.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 107
  • sf2_boot_04.jpg
    sf2_boot_04.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Throw enough shit at the wall something's gonna stick...

Still the wrong roms, it will never run correctly, i guess you are getting lucky with this romset testing the wrong ram area or something LOL
Anyway, offer is off now, you seem to love not listening, and are on your own with these wrong combinations.

Oh! That's disappointing!

I'm listening, it's just on my bench right now and I'm finding it difficult to leave alone until something else comes along...

Turns out the board would part boot using just two eproms PT1 and PT2:

prg part 1.stt maincpu
prg part 2.stt maincpu

Interesting it would animate the check screen in the correct orange colours and font then turn to green font.

On pressing coin up I get the coin up sound.

I appreciate it's not the correct ROM set but interesting its doing that with no screen corruption etc. removing RAM chips wasn't reflected in RAM check boot sequence.

Removing some sprite RAM gave me a screen quarter with sprite images on it.

Until I see a similar board online that's the end of the road for this board the eprom eraser needs a rest...

It's for the best, now you have finally calmed down on wasting your time maybe i'll reconsider sending some junk ones over.
For anyone with very little free time, it's annoying to watch you keep fighting a wall.

Sorry for being brutal with the answers but the first one was right...
It will be faulty in other ways anyway, nobody nicks the ram and rom off a good board....
I would not bother worrying about the PLD's unless its running with graphics errors.

Until I see a similar board online that's the end of the road for this board the eprom eraser needs a rest...
Normally you need a worker to go from anyway, or at least good documentation.
SF2 bootlegs are NOT well documented at all.

Lesson learned and point taken. I naively just didn't appreciate how difficult it could be to get this running!

Fingers well and truly burned! ;(

Can anyone tell me what data the ROM IC located at U133 on these bootleg board should contain?

It's something to do with the bootleg sprite priority system IIRC

Hey real quick I have a street bootleg that had a transistor break off. I thought I got the right replacement, any chance you can read the part number on the transistor near the chip with a red 8 on it?

It's a 518B but I've replaced these before with a 517B...

Attachments

• PXL_20230429_124916094.jpg
    PXL_20230429_124916094.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 48
Awesome thanks I think I have some bad connections on my super gun

How are you getting on with all those boots? hehe

I actually got another in recently with the 2 x 27c040's for program, got it running as usual but seems to have a dead PLD or something in the sprites area. (it runs with errors, replaced the 374's still the same)

The program was SF2RK in mame, i had forgotten it was 2 chip!

Hey real quick I have a street bootleg that had a transistor break off. I thought I got the right replacement, any chance you can read the part number on the transistor near the chip with a red 8 on it?

That's a Reset Controller IC, not a transistor. Without it you won't have a proper /RESET signal to start the CPU on power-up.

I actually got another in recently with the 2 x 27c040's for program, got it running as usual but seems to have a dead PLD or something in the sprites area. (it runs with errors, replaced the 374's still the same)

Hi Hammy,

Of the five boards I got from you three are working two still with very minor errors one has a PLD missing U6 that I have to hot swap from another board. I tried copying a GAL but it didn't work any tips appreciated. They've boards have helped me out a lot so many thanks for those. To be fair I had a break from them for a while and have since repaired a Mexico86 boot and an SNK Time Soldiers original PCB I posted that one on UKVAC. That was a pig with countless broken traces all over the place but rewarding when it finally fired up. I annoyed one of your friends Caius with that one. The original SF board from this post got thrown on the shelf and I just kept my eye out for similar boards for sale and only recently last week, saw this on ebay (see pic). I had previously de-soldered one of the sprite mask ROMS and ran it through romident just to be sure and you were of course correct the board is the RK version. The picture of the board for sale shows a pcb using the same daughter board as mine with a 2 two ROM version of Hyper Fighting installed in the two bottom slots so I thought that's it! 2 x 27c040's with the RK maincpu installed on them. I'm in the process of cleaning up the mess I made of this boards maincpu socket area and giving this a go. Watch this space...

Attachments

• sf.jpg
    sf.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Very frustratingly I also found this image on UKVAC which is exactly the same PCB as mine but would you believe it the ROMS are covered! I did try to contact the user but it seems they're no longer active on the site. Can't tell but from the looks of the sticker it looks like this has four ROMs underneath?

Attachments

• SF2_boot.gif
    SF2_boot.gif
    167 KB · Views: 45
Of the five boards I got from you three are working two still with very minor errors one has a PLA missing U6 that I have to hot swap from another board. I tried copying a GAL but it didn't work any tips appreciated.
PLA? if you are copying GAL's I assume you mean PLD, when you dumped it did it come up as blank/all FFs or something i.e protected?

there is a heap archived here
https://wiki.pldarchive.co.uk/index.php?title=Street_Fighter_2_(bootlegs)

none are referred to as U6 though. We can also thank Hammy for alot of them.

Back