What's new

Pacheco

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling on this for months. It's the only thing hindering my restoration progress.

The external screws are stripped after spending many removal methods over the past months.

1. Tried using the correct JIS screwdriver.
  2. Tried to use WD-40 to loosen and unrust the screws.
  3. Tried Liquid Wrench penetrating oil but nothing.
  4. Tried drilling up the screws.
I'm running out of ideas, I think the next step would be grinding the screws with a dremel but I wanted to consult with you guys first if there's another method I could use before buying a dremel machine.

I'm trying to learn here, so please bear with my noobiness.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
I have the solution for you, and it's cheaper than a Dremel and something you really should have in your kit for these kinds of problems, arcade or otherwise. Vampire Tools Vampliers, they'll grab the screw head from the side and let you twist it out with all the force necessary.

https://www.vampiretools.com

IMG_3010.jpg

I have the solution for you, and it's cheaper than a Dremel and something you really should have in your kit for these kinds of problems, arcade or otherwise. Vampire Tools Vampliers, they'll grab the screw head from the side and let you twist it out with all the force necessary.

IMG_3010.jpg

Wow, what is that sorcery?

Sounds great, looks like would be a great addition to my toolbox.

Thanks for both suggestions guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Nem.

I went with the Neji-saurus P59. For some reason these were cheaper than the Vampliers in Amazon.

Would a 9" screw stripper be enough to get those bad boys?

Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Nice day!

IMG_3010.jpg
that looks just like a Klein lineman pliers...what's "special" about these?

Don't get me wrong, I don't need an excuse for more hand tools...

that looks just like a Klein lineman pliers...what's "special" about these?
They're not like lineman pliers, they have teeth meant for gripping the heads of screws at the end of the jaws. Click the link to their site for photos and illustrations that show what I mean. I realize my photo isn't the clearest, just grabbed the pair off my work bench and took a quick shot.

The PZ-55 doesn't actually have the exact same style of teeth either, though it looks closer.

Regardless, I'm sure there are multiple tools that work fine, I'm only recommending what I have personally. Never seen the Engineer ones and can't comment on their efficacy. The important thing is realizing that there's a class of tool out there for solving this problem in the first place, because it's something most of us run into eventually.

I MADE IT! Thanks for the Vampliers [ Neji-Saurus ] reccomendation. I don't know why I couldn't knew of these extraction pliers sooner, I've been trying to extract these m**** ****ers since last year.

In case anybody reading this thread in the future, I used the Neji-Saurus PZ58 and PZ59. You only need a pair of PZ58 to do all of the job though, these are better fit
since they have better grip and reaching in the screws notches from both sides of an Astro City.

Also the first best option is to get a proper JIS Screwdriver to avoid making the mistakes I made.

Thanks all again for the help! You are awesome!

I MADE IT! Thanks for the Vampliers [ Neji-Saurus ] reccomendation. I don't know why I couldn't knew of these extraction pliers sooner, I've been trying to extract these m**** ****ers since last year.
Awesome. Arcade Projects wins again!

For those of you that are still following this thread. Another tool in the stripped screw arena is Kroil. It towers over WD-40 and Liquid Wrench. Spray it on, let it soak and it will loosen some of the most rusted screws, bolts, etc. And no, I don't have stock in the company. I've just used with great success and love the stuff! Just thought I'd share.
https://www.kroil.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...dziE9JKRgeIMZjcmlaJkp806K6tCoF6AaAuBbEALw_wcB

Back