What's new
Also they said on AO wiki that it could be melted out with a soldering iron as well....so I would agree, and put the region free mobo responsibility on the customer.

werejag did a motherboard group buy where he modded them all for region free, so I'm covered on the region free front.

yes i did.
While I'm totally comfortable burning mine out with a soldering iron, or handling an exacto, if you've done this a dozen times maybe you could post some details about your preferred method?

i used a dremel diamond bit and excavated the pins. this made short work on the plastic wedges. the really small ball type worked out well

yeah the dremel has all sorts of precision bits that work great.

i used a dremel diamond bit and excavated the pins. this made short work on the plastic wedges. the really small ball type worked out well
Thanks for posting this werejag, I will be trying this exact method...

:D

looks like bit 191 its a ball on a shaft

e1a427fae2db56a1ab5bf12387048918.jpg

Thanks, are you 100% sure about the 191 ? 3.2mm bit is a bit wide ?

no im not sure the tip was really small and i do t have the packaging anymore

the 191 is way too wide, no way it can fit between pins (I just test fitted it)

I would go with the 106 engraving bit, its 1.6mm so it should fit fine between the pins since they are 2.54mm apart on center.

Performed "surgery" on my mobo as well...
l5DdVL9.jpg

I'm going to just go ahead and start referring to this as "the werejag method" because I did it with a Dremel tool using the bit 191 as described. :)
Sure it was a little big, but I hit it from the side vertically, and slid the tip forward/upward slowly, cutting/eating away the plastic tab and metal pins at the same time.

Performed "surgery" on my mobo as well...
l5DdVL9.jpg

I'm going to just go ahead and start referring to this as "the werejag method" because I did it with a Dremel tool using the bit 191 as described. :)
Sure it was a little big, but I hit it from the side vertically, and slid the tip forward/upward slowly, cutting/eating away the plastic tab and metal pins at the same time.
So just to clarify, the pins that make up the region "protection" tabs are not connected to/needed for anything?

Back