What's new
@darkgunsou86 @Murray

I tried both the stock MSI GT 640 and aftermarket MSI 680 Twinfrozr. Both spin during startup and then stops immediately. I figured these fans only would start spinning when they got really hot.

I then connected both cards into a regular PC and ran MSI Afterburner. During testing, I could force the fans on both cards to spin at around 85-88 degrees Celsius. They don't spin if the temperature is anything lower.

When the TTX3 is inside the cab, things are fine. But when it's outside, the two fans running and stopping become annoying (only for demanding games).

I ran the SFV benchmark on the TTX3 (i5/MSI 680 Twinfrozr/8GB), and the fan would ramp up to max speed when it gets toasty for about 3-5 seconds, then slow down to a stop for about 10-15 seconds before ramping up again to full speed. This is constant. A little annoying since both fans are loud.

I've replaced all fans in the TTX3 with newer fans (PSU, CPU, Case) so the GTX 680 fans stand out.

Last edited:
I have the same Twin Frozr MSI 680 card and i just checked mine, 1 of the fans was dead and one of them spinning normal all the time from power on. No power up or down. I ordered some fans a few months back that i thought weren't here yet, but they actually were and i forgot, they were sitting in the box.

I just replaced the old fans on MSI 680 TWIN FROZR with brand new ones and now they both spin all the time, no power up/down. I ran a test for you.

I5CPU/680gtx/8GB ram 404 model TTX3.

Ambient room temp is around 18c/64f
Played sf5 with the case completely closed @ 1080p, it plays completely smooth.

Here's the afterburner info for you. Graphs are a little hard to work out exactly what the numbers were, but you can see the MIN/MAX numbers. Max 54c/129f. (dip in the temp chart at the end is where i stopped the game)
The video card fans really aren't spinning that fast, i can't hear them over all the other fans and my cabinet fan but this gives you an idea. But for your info, the fans always spin and never stop from power on.

temps.jpg

It's worth noting for you, nearly every TTX3 unit i've had, one or both of the 660gtx gpu fans didn't work, and 3x680 twin frozr cards i got, all 3 had faulty fans as well. I think the fans on these cards just die.

I got these fans, can confirm they worked in MSI 680 TWIN FROZR card. Pretty sure they were branded exactly the same as originals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223482192349

MSI GTX 680 Twinfrozr works great for sure. Plays everything really smooth. I don't even have to do anything with the BIOS. Just works as-is. Thanks for the testing that you did! I just want my fans to run all the time at low RPMs. I hope there's nothing wrong with my GPU and hoping the trouble is with the fans only.

Thanks for the link to eBay. Just ordered new fans from China and will take FOREVER to get here.

When I bought my TTX3, it came with an MSI GT640. It was from Yahoo Japan. I also got the MSI 680 Twinfrozr from Yahoo Japan. Both act the same - fans don't spin all the time.

I just got a MSI 660 Twinfrozr (from eBay) but haven't tested it. I probably should and see if the fans work "normal" on it and maybe transplant it to the 680, for now, while I wait for the new fans.

Last edited:
Here's an update. Just like my MSI GT640 and MSI 680 Twin Frozr, my newly acquired MSI 660 Twin Frozr also exhibit the same fan spinning issues I've been having with the other cards.

One of the photos below shows that fans should be spinning at 45% under "Fan Speed" but "Fan Speed (RPM)" displays "0 RPM." Then when temperature hits about 87 degrees celcius, the fans kick on for 1-2 SECONDS and turns off again (shown in the other photo). You can see the frequency of the fans turning on and off by looking at the Fan Speed (RPM) graph.

Conclusion: Fans only come on for seconds but only when it gets burning hot. Then turns off right away. That's the pattern of my MSI 640, 660, and 680 cards. Waiting on a set of new replacement fans.

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

Do these cards behave the same when you put them in another pc? They should not be doing what they are.

Test them all in a pc and see what they do. Use MSI afterburner and turn the graphs on, you can see more better info. Set the graphs to 2 columns in the settings to display it better, like my image above.

Yes, the MSI 640, 660 Twinfrozr, 680 Twinfrozr all act the same in a normal PC as in fans not spinning until temp. hits 87 deg. Celcius. Fan Speed % ramps up but Fan Speed RPM stays at ZERO.

The stock 660 fans commonly don't work properly. Especially the units out of Japan exworks. MSI 680's have the same issues.

They should both spin up. Sometimes they will start spinning when you turn on the unit and then stop, or go very very slowly. This is not how they are supposed to work. Not sure if it's the cards or just the fans that cause this yet, i'm still waiting for some replacement fans from china to arrive so i can test. More than half the 660 cards i got out of around 10 TTX3 systems had 1 or both fans not working properly.

Yeah my 660 as well didn't spin one fan. I thought I broke it while cleaning. Anyway I got brand new replacement fans and the issue still remains. The fans themselves are certainly fine, it's what's driving them that is for some reason not telling them to spin imho

That's odd.....

When the new fans arrive, test the cards in a pc with the new fans before you put them anywhere near the TTX3.

Yes, new pair of fans for the Twinfrozr will arrive in 2 weeks. Will provide an update then. And I plan to do it on a regular PC and putting it inside the TTX3 only if it acts as it should.

Last edited:
Yeah my 660 as well didn't spin one fan. I thought I broke it while cleaning. Anyway I got brand new replacement fans and the issue still remains. The fans themselves are certainly fine, it's what's driving them that is for some reason not telling them to spin imho

I'm in the market for another manufacturer of the 680 since all the MSI cards I've gotten are acting weird. The cards work just fine but the fan operation is questionable.

That's why i suggest keeping the cards away from the TTX3 until you confirm they work. It's odd that 3 completely different card have that exact same issue...

I was leaning towards the TTX3 having the problem, but the cards do the same thing in a PC.... the only thing i can think of is that any card you put into the TTX3 in some way gets damaged... in the exact same way... which is weird. I've seen faulty pc's break certain components if you plug them in, for example, any ram chip you plug in will get blown, but not something like this, it's a strange one.

So far i've replaced the fans on 3 cards, all MSI 680s and they all went from non working fans to fully working now. I haven't tried it on a 660 yet, i'm out of fans.

I've never had this issue before either. I worked on upgrading a TTX2 with two different GPUs and all work fine. Worked on a yellow Lindbergh with upgraded parts with no GPU issues. Only until now with a TTX3. I don't know how a TTX3 mobo, that's working just fine, can damage a GPU fan. You would think it would damage the whole GPU if it ever happened.

@Murray I just realized the MSI 660 Twinfrozr was never installed in the TTX3. I bought it and then installed in a normal PC directly to test. And its fans act like they do on the MSI 640 and MSI 680 Twinfrozr, which were both installed on TTX3 first.

Head scratcher.

Waiting on my TX3 to arrive. What’s the maximum CPU cooler height?

Waiting on my TX3 to arrive. What’s the maximum CPU cooler height?
Up to a Noctua U9S will fit, but that prevents use of the stock 2.5" HDD mounting, so maybe 5-10mm less than whatever the U9S is should probably be considered the max. Thinking ~110mm max to be safe. The CPU doesn't run particularly hot though, so I don't think cooler choice matters too much unless you are upgrading the CPU as well.

So far I have tested 5 video cards that were stock which have UEFI bios and they all worked in my model 407 (Figureheads) machine. I tested 2 GTX 960, 2 GTX 760, and 1 GTX 1050. I will test a GTX 1070ti when I get the chance. But right now, my guess is that it will work provided your PSU is strong enough (I have a 850 watt PSU).

On a side note, it looks like X4 machine have UEFI support built in, so probably any video card will work.

Just in case, this is my FULL hardware dump (made with a tl866ii plus programmer) of 1.0b13. Desolder ic to obtain a full genunine dump is mandatory and software dump doesn't generate full dump. Maybe the ami software tool dump, still generate a valid file even if it not full, if anyone want share a major lite version i can directly try on my hardware.

https://mega.nz/file/kZAiBJQB#i1bJiXfn5TOoyuOFNkM0TB54VLlHd6JIzFJJ_bPy9HY

Unfortunatly i don't own any other revision.

Last edited:
Up to a Noctua U9S will fit, but that prevents use of the stock 2.5" HDD mounting, so maybe 5-10mm less than whatever the U9S is should probably be considered the max. Thinking ~110mm max to be safe. The CPU doesn't run particularly hot though, so I don't think cooler choice matters too much unless you are upgrading the CPU as well.
Thanks for that insight! I went ahead and ordered Noctua U9L which is a little shorter than the U9S. I’m repurposing the chassis with modern components such as m.2 drives. My plans are to keep the JVS and FastIO cards for aesthetics To keep with the overall original design.

Endgame is to be able to run PC versions of all TypeX1234 games and some.

Wow that is some weird phone fat fingering for sure. Sorry guys!

Edit: just remembered I can delete..so removed from this thread

Back