What's new

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Well I fucked up.... I went to desolder the figureheads bios with my new found desoldering confidence, and the chip broke....

fuck.jpg

fuck2.jpg

CS# and GND pins are now broken off. GND pad is the one visible there, but no CS#.

This is the only one of these i have with this code on it!!!! Need to try and salvage this so I can get a dump of this chip.

I'm going to wait to hear back from smart people before I go any further with this one.

mR_CaESaR

Grand Master
Reaction score
Oh no :(

I wouldn't even know where to start, not sure if you could jump a wire from the broken area and try and solder it to the point of the chip reader

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
I don't think that copper area there is actually the section where the pin connect, i think that's the underside of the chip.

Just did a backyard decap of an area with a dremmel and it just seems too large an area to be one per pin.

123.jpg

mR_CaESaR

Grand Master
Reaction score
That's a real shame! How did it happen? Pull on the chip before the solder melted?

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
That's a real shame! How did it happen? Pull on the chip before the solder melted?

I guess i must have! I didn't exactly yank at the chip, i only have a pair of shitty flimsy tweezers to grab it with, the plastic under the chip seemed like it was already cracked. Maybe I just heated it too much. Don't really know what I'm doing!

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
The size of this chip for scale, it's rather small...

chip.jpg

The hack in me wants to keep dremmeling the plastic away...

This chip will be dumped or dead before the nights out!

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
If anyone has a FIgureHeads A TTX3 system or knows someone who has one that's selling, feel free to let me know. We'll get this bios one way or another, but it won't be from the chip i currently have.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Just a note to anyone who does this in thefuture. The bios chips are possibly glued onto the motherboard as well, when you think they are hot and should be coming off, you have to heat it more. Don't force the chip at all, if you heat it long enough it should just slip off. Also be real careful, the traces come up very easily, i'm almost certain there's a glue compound of some sort under this chip.

Last edited:

Dloop

Professional
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe a hot air station would be good here, but maybe that is what you are using already?

DurbanXe

Beginner
Reaction score
OMG
Solder a tulip support on the motherboard so you can swip the chips to test them.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Nah, just take your time and do it properly. Don't be a hack like me :)

Pa0l0ne

Student
Reaction score
Hi,
Does a TL866II programmer work to flash bios?
You don't need now an external programmer (btw tl866ii plus work great). You just have the full b23 bios dump and the software writer. Read the thread "ttx3 video card and cpu upgrade".