What's new
Ok, need some feedback on the rgb version of these, do you guys want:

1. Top & bottom to be rgb (would most likely require 2 controllers or maybe a custom solution)
  2. Top white / bottom rgb (could probably be controlled by one controller, independently)
  3. Top only rgb (one controller)
  4. Forget RGB, and do both in White, with the bottom leds having a controller, top always on

On the controller(s), would you prefer:

1. RF
  2. IR
  3. Bluetooth
  4. Wifi
  5. Bluetooth and Wifi

I would choose top and bottom white. I don’t know the difference in the controllers, but I would want something simple to turn the bottom on or off.

I’m okay with top and bottom being rgb to have the choice to make them both white as well. Also don’t know about controllers. Whatever has a bunch of buttons I can press to change colors lol.

While the rgb leds can produce white its not as defined as lets say warm white/ natural white/ cool white only leds.

i will try and have PCB files ready for all combinations and I guess make some type of poll thread to see whats most popular.

On the controller side I have seen:

IR - Infrared - Like tv remotes, needs direct line of sight
RF - Radio Frequency, like high end receivers, no line of sight needed, signal goes through walls
Bluetooth and Wifi you all know, control these through you phone, maybe network.

Im leaning more towards either bluetooth and wifi just because of the possibility of having games control the lighting, especially when you run X3/X4 multi or if you are running a PC in the cabs.

Forget RGB, and do both in White, with the bottom leds having a controller, top always on
Believe it or not this is the version I like best... I understand its less customizable but I feel a better reflection of original function + bottom LED addition.
I think this is what Taito would have done (but for some reason we'll likely never fully understand didn't).

Believe it or not this is the version I like best... I understand its less customizable but I feel a better reflection of original function + bottom LED addition.
I think this is what Taito would have done (but for some reason we'll likely never fully understand didn't).
I like this too, makes it simpler.

But, Taito intended for the bottom leds to be rgb and be controllable either by the games or in another way.

Im with @jassin000 on this one. White only top and bottom works for me.

Because if you think about it having RGB on the top will make the artwork look ehhh.. having an artwork glowing red or blue wont look right in my opinion.

I would prefer either option 1 or 2, and would prefer option 2 over 1, if option 1 was only possible with 2 controllers:
  • Top & bottom to be rgb (would most likely require 2 controllers or maybe a custom solution)
  • Top white / bottom rgb (could probably be controlled by one controller, independently)
Im leaning more towards either bluetooth and wifi just because of the possibility of having games control the lighting, especially when you run X3/X4 multi or if you are running a PC in the cabs.
I like the way you think!

Im with @jassin000 on this one. White only top and bottom works for me.

Because if you think about it having RGB on the top will make the artwork look ehhh.. having an artwork glowing red or blue wont look right in my opinion.
maybe I should just make both
White top / bottom, having the bottom with a dimmer control
White top / rgb bottom, with a controller

Hey @Derick2k , I was curious about what you thought of doing for the instruction space lighting :) as so far all I’ve seen are led strips hooked up to IO for power.

And surrounding rgb or not, I think dimmable whites are the best way to go 😅

Yes, I think dimmable white leds are the way to go also. Ofcourse you can put in an led strip. can all it a day. Im trying to do something that is uniform in color/brightness that does not create hotspots, is dimmable, and is plug and play, no splicing hacking up stuff.

Also, because of the way the move strip space was made on the orange and black diamond cabs, those will require a few different approaches to be lit up, again being plug and play with hacking stuff up.

Would you guys like repro marquees made? Im not planning on doing them, but I will ask someone if they want to. I already have files to get them laser cut since I have done them in the past.. Just need to source the correct acrylic and then figure out what to do with the edges to apply a reflective coating on them.

Would you guys like repro marquees made?
Fuuuuuuucccccccccck YES!

I want two (one for my L-AMI and a new/not scratched up one for my Capcom).
My current L-AMI is near perfect, but its NOT that special coated/glowing kind for use with the marquee LED.

Unlike some folks, I only need the plexi part of the marquee (I can reuse my existing thin-films/nuts/bolts as they are the same).

Would you guys like repro marquees made? Im not planning on doing them, but I will ask someone if they want to. I already have files to get them laser cut since I have done them in the past.. Just need to source the correct acrylic and then figure out what to do with the edges to apply a reflective coating on them.

Cmon man, you already know the answer to this.

Cmon man, you already know the answer to this.
may or may not happen :D I need to find where to source the right acrylic and the reflective edge foil.

1650382493192.png

I've never had an original marquee to compare to, mine are just plain old extruded acrylic I laser cut. I don't have that bottom bit, is that a part that extends out like a little shelf to line the bottom of the artwork onto?

I will look into pricing for the proper replacement marquee acrylic, but it was expensive last time I did. I suggest you reach out to Taito and try to order it from them directly if they still make them.

I suggest you reach out to Taito and try to order it from them directly if they still make them.
Last time I inquired Yugo said they no longer produced these parts (frosted marquee plexi with marquee film) and it was out of stock. :(

Back