What's new

fruityloops

Student
Reaction score
Can someone give me some information on Viewlix Cabs? The arcade otaku wiki doesn't list all of the models.

From what I've seen there are L, F, C, VS and Diamond models. What's the difference between these? I know the F's have a better LCD in terms of latency than the Ls -- and as far as I know the screens are all 720p. Is it also possible to convert them from JVS to jamma without too much lag? Anyway, wanted to see if any of you experts can help me with some information.

Your above list of models is almost complete, your only missing the L-AMI.
428000302.jpg

I can give you the monitor names that come stock in each model, however it would be of little benefit because I don't have specs.
I can tell you the F's have a better stock monitor (Sanwa) then the L,L-AMI and VS models, it is equal to the C.
The Diamond is the best stock, but Taito has made one generation of replacements with advantages over the Diamond (I have one).
A 2nd generation of monitors is hopefully coming at some future point, as Taito is actively selling Diamonds and gen-one has stopped production.

The max resolution for the stock monitor family is 1366x768 (not 1280x720 aka 720p) over VGA or DVI, remember these are like PC monitors not TV's.
One exception, the 1st gen replacement will do 1920x1080 and includes HDMI.
lcd.png

You have options in the realm of JVS-to-JAMMA, if you haven't already take a look at my thread. :)

As far as lag is concerned, the official Taito kit's scaler will add 2ms and output 640x480 VGA (just like the xRGB-3).
IMG_20160511_112026.jpg
617n4BImvpL._SX355_.jpg

Now that's 2ms on top of whatever monitor your using, so if this is a major concern to you...
Keep in mind the final range, 12~24ms (approximately not measured) of video lag, Diamond/C/F low end of this VS/L/L-AMI high end.

A final warning, keep in mind how much a complete setup to suit your needs is going to be.
Personally I knew I was down to spend some cash... But not 5,500$ (my VLX-C value to date).
Once Vewlix fever strikes, it will ravage your bank accounts. ;)
money-pit-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jassin,
Do you have a GroovyMAME setup? I am wandering how GroovyMAME with CRT Emulator running the games at native resolution and speed would look like feeding it over those scaler to the new Taito monitor.

Do you have a GroovyMAME setup?
No a GroovyMAME setup would be the wrong approach to use on a (31khz only device) LCD based cab.
The best MAME solution for a Vewlix (or any other LCD setup) would be MAMEUIFX (and bypass the Taito scaler).

Make MAME do the scaling and draw scanlines for you, at the maximum supported native panel resolution (1920x1080 in my case).
You can also make use of the audio timing stretch and wait vsync options to help with smoothness/frame lag.

Jassin, Thanks for the info, I will have to try that MAME version..

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the info jassin000. I guess I'll stick to my old blast cities -- they're much cheaper. I really can't justify spending all the cash :(

No a GroovyMAME setup would be the wrong approach to use on a (31khz only device) LCD based cab.
The best MAME solution for a Vewlix (or any other LCD setup) would be MAMEUIFX (and bypass the Taito scaler).
What exactly makes MAMEUIFX supperior to GroovyMAME? While GroovyMAME is designed to offer native syncing with RGB monitors it does feature an LCD mode with imporoved sycinging for LCDs and input lag reduction changes over regular MAME.

I'd never heard of MAMEUIFX but looking on their feature list the only video output enhancement listed other than "widescreen stretch" was borrowed from GroovyMAME. I'm genuinely curious as I'm running GM on my Kraylix cab with great results. But if there's a truly better option I'd like to know about it.

I had not used Groovy since the addition of the LCD enhancements.
So I'm no longer really qualified to say which is best.

MAMEUIFX had LCD specific options before anyone else in the UI space.
I trust them to deliver one of the best 31khz specialized builds.

Your above list of models is almost complete, your only missing the L-AMI.
428000302.jpg

I can give you the monitor names that come stock in each model, however it would be of little benefit because I don't have specs.
I can tell you the F's have a better stock monitor (Sanwa) then the L,L-AMI and VS models, it is equal to the C.
The Diamond is the best stock, but Taito has made one generation of replacements with advantages over the Diamond (I have one).
A 2nd generation of monitors is hopefully coming at some future point, as Taito is actively selling Diamonds and gen-one has stopped production.

The max resolution for the stock monitor family is 1366x768 (not 1280x720 aka 720p) over VGA or DVI, remember these are like PC monitors not TV's.
One exception, the 1st gen replacement will do 1920x1080 and includes HDMI.
lcd.png

You have options in the realm of JVS-to-JAMMA, if you haven't already take a look at my thread. :)

As far as lag is concerned, the official Taito kit's scaler will add 2ms and output 640x480 VGA (just like the xRGB-3).
IMG_20160511_112026.jpg
617n4BImvpL._SX355_.jpg

Now that's 2ms on top of whatever monitor your using, so if this is a major concern to you...
Keep in mind the final range, 12~24ms (approximately not measured) of video lag, Diamond/C/F low end of this VS/L/L-AMI high end.

A final warning, keep in mind how much a complete setup to suit your needs is going to be.
Personally I knew I was down to spend some cash... But not 5,500$ (my VLX-C value to date).
Once Vewlix fever strikes, it will ravage your bank accounts. ;)
money-pit-2.jpg
OMG, how many art set do I need to sell to get it T_T ;( ;( ;(

Well, there are plenty of big blue cabs that will need custom marquees, decals and bezels for games not made for the big blue.

Back