What's new

jonnymodlin

Beginner
Reaction score
I would like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade to have free play hack, The Simpsons arcade to have free play hack, and X-Men 6 Player to have Free Play. Is there a a way about wanting free play to be patched for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, THe Simpsons, and X-Men 6 Player? Thank you.

I'd happily contribute to a bounty for Simpsons 2P free play (among many other titles).

I can have a look at Simpsons but it will take some time to dissassembling, tracing and analyzing the code to make a proper patch. So I can't set a firm deadline.
Timewasterjpg.jpg

When will the Free Play Rom Hacks for The Simpsons be uploaded and Free Play Rom Hacks for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles be uploaded?

Stop being so impatient, go on the KLOV site and download them for yourself

When will the Free Play Rom Hacks for The Simpsons be uploaded and Free Play Rom Hacks for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles be uploaded?
Wow, calm down a notch m8. These wizards are doing this in their spare time.. be grateful and wait. It will be released when it’s done, if they still want to..

lolwut? He explicitly wrote "it will take some time to dissassembling, tracing and analyzing the code to make a proper patch. So I can't set a firm deadline."

So you get it when you it's released.

I'm now 98% done with this mission. 8) I did target the Japanese region since it seems to be the best one. But the asuming of "The later-released Japanese set" is probably not correct. Since there are two bugs in the Japanese set that is fixed in later revisons. (All 4 player revisions in Mame have those bugs fixed and Some of the 2 player versions) One bug is quite nasty since it makes an extensive read of the eeprom. The other bug was just annoying. But after many hours of tracing and analyzing the behaviour, did I find how to fix them both.

1:st Bug can be detected if you enter service mode and go to the "8.Coin, Game Options" and then Select "8-1.Coin Setting 1P". Look att the Arrow. If it flashes then it has the eeprom bug. The reason you can see it flashes is because a lot of instructions are executed and that consumes far too many clock cyles for the execution to finish before it's time to update the screen again. Normaly the subroutine should wait for a signal to start readiing from the eeprom but instead it skips this and just goes on like crazy. I did put 2 break points one at the start of the subroutine and one at the end, and logged this. The version with the bug executed more than 64000 instructions. The one with the bug fixed it executes about 23 instructions. And that is just after one call. The subroutine executes over and over again as long you stay at this setting. So you can imagine that load it will put on the poor little eeprom chip. ;(

2:nd bug also in service mode can be detected also by entering "8.Coin, Game Options". Now enter for example "8-6 Sound Output" Exit the menu, when you get back to the "8.Coin, Game Options". The active selection is now always reset to the first entry. (Coin settings.) Instead for staying at the previous one, "8-6..." or whatever you came from.

It was easy to fix but I had to take apart the menu system completly and figure out exactly how it was constructed and how it was working. Some times small bugs can be really annoying. The solution was a simple 1 byte fix which took a second to correct, but it required several sessions and hours of research to find out exactly what caused the bug and how to fix it.

The Patch can be found HERE

Read the readme.txt for instructions and other info about how to apply the patch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Patch modifies the following.

Additions:
Free Play Option. Accessable from the Service Mode.
(8.Coin, Game Options -> 8-1 Coin Setting)

Attract Mode is always running. (No static screen when coin is inserted)

Bugfixes:
The extensive read from the eeprom. (Service Mode, Coin setting 1P)
Active selection was always reset to the first entry. (Service Mode, Coin settings 1P/2P

Tweaks:
The Continue timer is lowered from 20 sec to 10 sec.
Homer's and Lisas age where "corrected". (attract mode)

If you like my work, I would be very happy to receive a PayPal donation. Since I don't have any job at the moment.
It's not necessary to donate. The patch will be free and accessable for everyone to use as they wish.

But some Pizza had been nice. ;)
Simpsons Homer.jpg

Back