What's new
The main program ROMs are ROMs 3-10 and are connected by the smaller sub board on the multi kit.

Check that this board is seated correctly and that your interconnect is seated correctly

I was able to get audio and video (not perfect) by trying to tighten the boards. I'll keep trying and will update later. Thanks xodaraP!

Bad connection between A and B boards could definitely be an issue, check for bent or damaged pins

Stupid question and it's not really an issue, but just want to make sure. When you select and load a game via the LCD and once it finishes writing, is the game eventually meant load normally like say the Taito F3 multi?

What I've noticed with mine is that the game loads successfully with the "Have Fun!" message on the LCD, but the screen still remains a garbled mess of sprites and would need to switch the power off and back on to load the previously selected game normally.

I am using the decrypted roms as my board is a Rev 4 board, so I don't have any key write functionality yet, but I'll get around to that eventually. :thumbup:

That’s how it is with decrypted ROMs. When you install the key writing wire and encrypted ROMs it will restart the system :)

Let me know if you want me to send you some DuPont wires to connect up your board?

Bad connection between A and B boards could definitely be an issue, check for bent or damaged pins
I looked but didn't see any damaged pins connecting the A and B boards. I also took the multi apart and used some 99% IPA to clean the pins on the multi. I did solder a backplane connector to the B board. Could a bad solder joint cause the garbled graphics?

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_220533.jpg
    IMG_20211203_220533.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20211203_220559.jpg
    IMG_20211203_220559.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
That’s how it is with decrypted ROMs. When you install the key writing wire and encrypted ROMs it will restart the system :)

Let me know if you want me to send you some DuPont wires to connect up your board?
Yeah, they key writing cables aren't long enough to reach the CN2 connection on the rev 4 board. Will definitely need longer cables, if you have any extra, that would be awesome. :thumbsup:

Yep. The key writing cable I include in the kits are for the JST header on the CPS board.

I’ll pop some pre-tinned DuPont wires in the mail over the weekend for you to solder to the connector :)

Hello @Mitsurugi-w & @Darksoft , and everyone,

A few weeks ago I installed the CPS2 Multi Kit Champion Edition (easy process!), and it's been great until today. When I turn it on, I just get a solid colored screen. I've tried switching games, reseating the board, and also reseating the three multi kit pieces - it always stays a solid color when booting. Nothing has changed from yesterday, so I'm not sure why this is suddenly happening. I am using the decrypted set in the PDF instructions, and I do not have the cable for encryption (my kit didn't come with one). I have two other B board games that work just fine. The donor board is a revision 6 blue US Marvel Super Heroes. The SD card seems fine, and I don't see any broken pins or anything, but again, this worked yesterday just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Probably some keys got injected. Power off everything and make sure that you short EXC5 for a few seconds. In any case I strongly recommend you to get that key writing cable.

It's fixed!

I put my Phoenixed MSH roms back on the board, and still a pink screen. Then I read about shorting caps around the battery - so I grabbed a safety pin, and held it on the posts of the CCX, CC1, and EXC5 close to where the battery was for about twenty seconds each. *POOF*, MSH started right up. Swapped out the multi, *BOOM*, multi started just fine! I have to ask though, why did / does this happen, and why does it cause the board not to boot?

As for the cable - would this work?
https://www.pchcables.com/dpc-303.html

Thanks to you both, appreciate your work for the community!

It's fixed!

I put my Phoenixed MSH roms back on the board, and still a pink screen. Then I read about shorting caps around the battery - so I grabbed a safety pin, and held it on the posts of the CCX, CC1, and EXC5 close to where the battery was for about twenty seconds each. *POOF*, MSH started right up. Swapped out the multi, *BOOM*, multi started just fine! I have to ask though, why did / does this happen, and why does it cause the board not to boot?

As for the cable - would this work?
https://www.pchcables.com/dpc-303.html

Thanks to you both, appreciate your work for the community!
Glad that you got it working! Enjoy!

Those cables that you posted won't work. Contact Mitsu for the right ones.

Well I installed 2 of the new multis today.
One went together no problem, but the other isn't playing so nice.
Both boards were confirmed working via phoenix Roms (marvel vs sf & xmen vs sf)
I'm using the encrypted Roms and the board has the bonus connector, so I just made a little harness using some jst NH pins & housings I have
Same setup and mobo between the working and non-working setup.

Symptoms-
Nothing on screen, LCD lights up and acts as normal.
I try to program a game and the power light on the multi as well as the LCD backlight start to flicker.
The programming sometimes acts like its working, other times it sticks at one *
After it says its done and restarts, it loops back to the black screen.

My actions-
Reseated both boards from the multi
Adjusted power supply to +5v on the nose
Reseated SD card
Verified continuity between kit connector and B board connector for key writing wires

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a short somewhere (flickering). Have you tried this multi main pcb on the other b-board?

Upon swapping boards, the issue stays with the B board.
I only swapped the main board though, not both.
I don't see any bent or dirty pins
However now I've got minor graphical glitches on the other one tho I assume that's just me not pushing the boards together enough

The flickering seems to have gone away from the problem board, here's what currently happens-
View: https://youtu.be/r-sCeBi3AQA

worth noting its acting like its playing the game, but graphics and sound are both trash

Last edited:
Also, when I swapped the main boards back there was no change with the problem board, but the graphics issues went away on the other

So both multis work, just an issue on one B board?

Back