What's new

buffi

Champion
Reaction score
This is such a simple small project that I don't understand why noone has done it before.

Take this:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Passive_Autofire

Make a small pcb and put it under a OBSF-30 button. Small enough to just be able to plug into regular holes. Super easy and nice.
Plug button into the outer pins and just go.

There's a jumper for auto on/off, but I fucked up and made it 2mm in the first prototype and didn't have any fitting headers so had to jam a 2.54 in there.

Pics of WIP:
button1.jpg

button2.jpg

button3.jpg

autobutton.png

Have an active autofire version being printed now as well that should be fun but needs 5v.

It is indeed :) Though I never got great coverage with that autofire circuit. Seems like it was a hit or miss if it worked with boards or not.

Great idea !
I predict it won't be long before this will be offered through AliExpress :rolleyes:

One thing thats pretty neat btw. I was planning to make these ”solder install” but since the holes are through plated, its probably fine to just bend the sanwa pins outward a bit to fix the pcb in place without soldering the pcb to the button

Excellent project! The active version sounds (somehow) even cooler, looking forward to seeing that

Should probably clarify that this is still WIP. Made some silly small mistakes on first proto. Chinese new years means wont get next version here too soon.

At some point in the not too far future when this is finalized I'll release the gerbers and BOM.

Japanese PCB shop Higenekodo has been selling a variety of autofire buttons since at least 2017: https://twitter.com/higenekodo/status/883984549654413312

They currently have 3 different types, one button with fixed 20 shots/s rate, one button with dial to adjust up to 6 rates of fire, and one button that can toggle between 15 or 30 shots/s which has an LED light to indicate the firing rate.

Each one can be daisy-chained to another button, enabling you to split the shot button into one regular and one rapid fire which is very useful for many older shmups.

Installation and demonstration of the fixed type:

Great info and ideas here. Definitely looking forward to seeing developments.

Japanese PCB shop Higenekodo has been selling a variety of autofire buttons since at least 2017: https://twitter.com/higenekodo/status/883984549654413312

They currently have 3 different types, one button with fixed 20 shots/s rate, one button with dial to adjust up to 6 rates of fire, and one button that can toggle between 15 or 30 shots/s which has an LED light to indicate the firing rate.

Each one can be daisy-chained to another button, enabling you to split the shot button into one regular and one rapid fire which is very useful for many older shmups.

Installation and demonstration of the fixed type:

Neat! Yeah, as I mentioned I was sortof surprised that I had not seen stuff like this before, so makes sense that its already available.

My current breadboardes circuit for active autofire has a button and led under it which cycles between rates but will see where it ends up.

The passive is real plug&play :)

Very slick. I’d buy a whole bunch of em. (And adapt them to older leaf switch buttons too :)

Ok so the active autofire proof-of-concept is now here, and I think it's pretty neat.

Everything is through-hole parts, since that makes it easy for people to solder these as kits or whatever. I don't really want to build these for people so will make design public later.

Press the button on the bottom cycles between autofire rates.
Long-press it for like 10 seconds changes the duty cycle. By default, on and off frames are equal. In the other mode, the button is only active for 2 frames per burst. Video shows this.

Needs 5v.

Demo video:

PCB:
autopew1.jpg

Populated:
autopew2.jpg

Still some stuff to improve. The holes for the 2.8mm pins are a bit too big and some other stuff, so waiting on next revision of pcbs.

Outstanding work - this one looks like a tonne of fun - and I'm absolutely loving the placeholder project name. +1 vote for this name in production please :)

Back