What's new
:thumbup: Very interesting, still have my AWSD Samsung tube tucked away for a rainy day.

My contributuion for this magnific topic, cap kit scheme for PB9929 and neck board:

resize16.jpg

resize15.jpg

resize14.jpg

resize17.jpg

And I have a body chassis died ready for the science in case of @dewmansnk needed:

20220421.jpg

20220420.jpg

I was looking at replacing the MCU with something modern and with a maintainable codebase. As far as adding functionality - it looks like according to the datasheet, most of the functions of the LM1269NA are being utilized. There is a blanking function but not much use. As far as the NEC C1888FCT - it is really a black box. Currently there are 15 functions/addresses that I have seen used on the C1888FCT, [0x00 - 0x0F]. No idea if more exist, I haven't found one scrap of a datasheet on that chip, and just some shitty scans of the C18884 datasheet.
Not sure if its any help, but at least this Iyama manual has a schematic using the 1888FTC and its pinout, etc...on page 73 I think. It might be of some use to compare with the datasheet you found.

https://mega.nz/file/Pg0z1axC#O3GlQcMHgGJnkE8Nl2tQXNbAyzu-EdQagwKRvGwQEzs

If I get a chance, I will read though this. I used ot be able to tell ya how what every component in crt monitors were for and ho they operated, etc...I could have at one point drawn you an schematic so you could out together a working monitor, but alas, no more :D It will take some time for it all to come back to me.

Not sure if its any help, but at least this Iyama manual has a schematic using the 1888FTC and its pinout, etc...on page 73 I think. It might be of some use to compare with the datasheet you found.

https://mega.nz/file/Pg0z1axC#O3GlQcMHgGJnkE8Nl2tQXNbAyzu-EdQagwKRvGwQEzs

If I get a chance, I will read though this. I used ot be able to tell ya how what every component in crt monitors were for and ho they operated, etc...I could have at one point drawn you an schematic so you could out together a working monitor, but alas, no more :D It will take some time for it all to come back to me.

That helps out tremendously. Not only does it show the pinout of the chip, but also shows how they leveraged the horizontal and vertical deflection outputs to drive their dynamic focus circuit.
Page 26 has a whole description of the Dynamic Beam Focus (DBF) circuit and example waveforms. They show the feedback from the horizontal deflection alone as well as the synthesized signal you get from combining both the vertical and horizontal feedback into your DBF circuit.

Currently, the Toshiba only brings in the Horizontal Deflection to its DBF circuit. I would like to also bring in the vertical deflection feedback and drive the dynamic focus pin on the Toshiba with a similar synthesized signal as described in the PDF. I have example waveforms and should in theory only need to construct the small vertical section and connect it to the existing dynamic focus transformer already on the Toshiba. This would further improve the DBF function and hopefully provide more corner focus correction in addition to the edge focus correction already in place.

That helps out tremendously. Not only does it show the pinout of the chip, but also shows how they leveraged the horizontal and vertical deflection outputs to drive their dynamic focus circuit.
Page 26 has a whole description of the Dynamic Beam Focus (DBF) circuit and example waveforms. They show the feedback from the horizontal deflection alone as well as the synthesized signal you get from combining both the vertical and horizontal feedback into your DBF circuit.

Currently, the Toshiba only brings in the Horizontal Deflection to its DBF circuit. I would like to also bring in the vertical deflection feedback and drive the dynamic focus pin on the Toshiba with a similar synthesized signal as described in the PDF. I have example waveforms and should in theory only need to construct the small vertical section and connect it to the existing dynamic focus transformer already on the Toshiba. This would further improve the DBF function and hopefully provide more corner focus correction in addition to the edge focus correction already in place.
I saw that ;) was just waiting for ya to take a look, it is a nice service manual. If only companies today would do the same with their products, but they dont want you to repair stuff, just throw it away and get a new thing.

Those cap kits change when talking about the Matsu monitor I think. I have to get a spare chassis for my Matsu soon so I’ll have to relook it up. I think I saw something on arcade otaku about it. I love my Matsu monitor. I thought it had to be a PF until I took the cover of the back and was like wtf. My NNC was built in 2007 and has very little use. However I like backups in case something goes wrong.

Those cap kits change when talking about the Matsu monitor I think. I have to get a spare chassis for my Matsu soon so I’ll have to relook it up. I think I saw something on arcade otaku about it. I love my Matsu monitor. I thought it had to be a PF until I took the cover of the back and was like wtf. My NNC was built in 2007 and has very little use. However I like backups in case something goes wrong.
This is correct there's a couple of cap values that change if the tube is Matsushita or Toshiba.

Its something to keep an eye out for when swapping chassis's too but I cant remember if its actually a mission critical thing though. Like if the value is is different it wont be like game over for the tube.

Obviously you would want to keep as close to factory spec though.

The inductor at this position of pd2367 is lost,Does anyone know the inductance value?

Attachments

• 4299d3d41e4ec74aa30ed2f38f4aebe.jpg
    4299d3d41e4ec74aa30ed2f38f4aebe.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 6fed76e41546256e605815fceb1693b.jpg
    6fed76e41546256e605815fceb1693b.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 159
Once I finish the mod section, you will be able to use the stock AWSD / E3 tube (A68QCP891X001) with a Toshiba PF chassis. Photos and formatting take some time.
Seems like a great option to replace the time bomb weiyas. Any pics of this running on awsd tube? ive heard good things about the pf and wondering if it translates over to the samsung tube with this mod.

Hi! :)

Can't wait to be able to program my corrupt TMP87CM38N-5NF5 bios ;( which no longer remembers all the screen settings.

If I remove the Toshiba Remote in Extended Menu mode, all the settings collapse into nothingness.
image in a dark circle, deep black, hieroglyph as screen language :unsure:X/

Any ideas what to change on pb9929 chassis to get full horizontal size?
My friend swapped A68LTF356X tube from Toshiba hd crt without yoke replacement and can’t adjust horizontal size to full screen. Except horizontal size everithing is OK.
Thanks

Last edited:
The inductor at this position of pd2367 is lost,Does anyone know the inductance value?
I been meaning to document all the inductor values in full for these chassis's at some point

I highly recommend anyone with one of the Tosh PF D29 variant chassis's to check the larger inductors to see if the glue is failing and they are coming loose at all. I seen it happen about 4 times now where the inductor breaks off its mount it can rip the copper wire off the winding, if your really unlucky it rips on the inner part of the winding requiring you to unwind the entire coil and rewind it to solder it back. So do your self a favor and check it if you plan on moving the cab alot.

Use some hotglue super glue or something to secure it back to the plastic base, if the coil is out of circuit it can cause alot of issues on the chassis causing a failure, one of the inductors near the flyback if that comes loose causes a higher wattage resistor in series with it to go thermonuclear and glow red hot.

Modifications
To use a Toshiba PF in an Egret 3 or AWSD without doing a tube swap, you will need to perform the 3 modifications below. This will prep the chassis to be compatible with the tube. If you want a plug and play solution, you will also need to adapt from the 1.55mm pin headers on the Toshiba PF chassis to the 2.36mm pin sockets that the DY connectors and degauss connectors on the tube. Don't forget the JST connector for the earth ground on the neck board and the power connector.

1. Vertical Deflection
If using a vertical deflection yoke with a lower impedance (~ 8mH), you might notice that you can not get the picture to stretch to fill the screen vertically. This is likely due to the current limiting resistor (R323). You can slightly lower the resistance of R323 and get more vertical picture size when using a lower impedance yoke (or a yoke that just needs a larger A.p.p)

I have found that using a 0.750 ohm resistor in place of the 1.0 ohm at R323 - I can successfully fill the vertical screen when using a lower impedance yoke around ~7-8mH
R323 shown below (Already changed to a 0.750 Ohm)
SWHZToT.jpg
Follow up question - I believe the above picture is of the PD1843. For the PB9929, where is this resistor located? R318 on the PB9929 measures 1.0 ohm, but I just want to confirm as I am not technical on CRTs.

Attachments

• 20230312_004241.jpg
    20230312_004241.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hello @THCsoftcore ,

Yes, on my PB9929 chassis, it is the R318.
I paired my PB9929 with a Samsung A68QCP993X506 :
- Single Focus
- lh ~ 330uH ~0.80ohm
- lv ~ 7.3 mH ~ 5.60 ohm

I changed it and was able to stretch the image to fill the screen.

Attachments

• R318.jpg
    R318.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Does anyone know the connector type for the neckboard ground wire used on the Toshiba PF? It is the white locking connector that connectors the tube wire ground to the neckboard. I believe if is a JST HXH type, but would be great if someone could confirm.

Some of you may have seen my wei-ya troubleshooting thread and have seen that I swapped to the modded PF chassis to get it working while I set the wei-ya aside for troubleshooting.
Anyway, I get a clear picture but the image is very dark.
I measured heater voltage and it fluctuates slightly around 5.67V before stabilizing around 5.7V, which is quite a bit lower than the 6.3V spec, and I was under the impression that both high and low heater voltage are bad for the tube.This is with the 1.3ohm heater resistor.
Rather than just adjusting screen to try to compensate, I'd rather get everything set up correctly.
I read somewhere that measuring heater voltage accurately is difficult, but hearing what others are getting would help to tell me if something is wrong with my setup.
Can anybody else that has done the mods measure their heater voltage and report back?

Edit: Also, can I run the PF chassis off of 120VAC? I've been using a stepdown but it would be nice to be able to not have to.

Attachments

• IMG_8369.jpg
    IMG_8369.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8371.jpg
    IMG_8371.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8368.jpg
    IMG_8368.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You can't get accurate heater voltage readings with a regular multimeter.

Back