What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally decided to try decompiling the a3x files. Cleaned up Cave, CPS2, CPS3, Naomi last night. Thanks @Murray for the tips. Toughest part was finding a working decompiler. Tools to recompile back to a3x are right there on the C drive!

Ok but being as familiar with Scripting as I am with Mandarin Chinese, is there a way for me to still get this working?
Or should I better leave it?
Go to E:\SYSTEM\AM\emulators

This is my CAVE.cfg - take note I use GroovyMAME, just rename that part to the default MAME folder. From memory it was "MAME_0230"

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable E:\SYSTEM\GROOVYMAME_0239\mame.exe
args "[romfilename]"
rompath E:\GAMES\CAVE\
romext .zip
system PC
info_source steam
nb_mode_wait 5
exit_hotkey Escape
artwork Flyer ..\Artwork\CAVE\flyer
artwork Logo ..\Artwork\CAVE\Logo
artwork Snaps ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork Video ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork Videos ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork boxart ..\Artwork\CAVE\boxart
artwork flyer ..\Artwork\CAVE\flyer
artwork logo ..\Artwork\CAVE\Logo
artwork marquee ..\Artwork\CAVE\wheel
artwork snap ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork snaps ..\Artwork\CAVE\videos
artwork title ..\Artwork\CAVE\title
artwork wheel ..\Artwork\CAVE\wheel

I did the same thing in the NEOGEO.cfg

That's all you have to do for the titles run in MAME to remove the godawful warning message. No redoing scripts.

Fair warning that some of the a3x files will launch one version of mame or the other, depending on the title.

You will very quickly appreciate the time that went into what was released when you start trying to add stuff yourself! Once you've got your head around it it's not so bad, still very time consuming but not that difficult.
+1
I can't even begin to guess how many hours i've (happily) wasted tinkering with the X2 and X3 stuff over the past few years, trying to get stuff to work before multi's were released. Luckily my cab is at work in a spare room, so it's just been lunch hours lost!
Plenty of help from plenty of people along the way too, many thanks to everyone :thumbsup:

Go to E:\SYSTEM\AM\emulators

This is my CAVE.cfg - take note I use GroovyMAME, just rename that part to the default MAME folder. From memory it was "MAME_0230"

#
executable E:\SYSTEM\GROOVYMAME_0239\mame.exe
args "[romfilename]"
romext .zip
system PC
info_source steam
nb_mode_wait 5
exit_hotkey Escape

I did the same thing in the NEOGEO.cfg

That's all you have to do for the titles run in MAME to remove the godawful warning message. No redoing scripts.

So here is how my original CAVE.cfg file looked:

#
executable cmd
args /c "[romfilename]"
romext .a3x
system PC
info_source steam
nb_mode_wait 5
exit_hotkey Escape

Here is how I tried to adjust it according to your description (or how I understood it):

#
executable E:\SYSTEM\MAME_0230_64\mame.exe
args /c "[romfilename]"
romext .zip
system PC
info_source steam
nb_mode_wait 5
exit_hotkey Escape

Result was that it gave me a Blackscreen when trying to launch a Cave game and falling back into Attract Mode.
I then set .a3x for romext but with same result...
So I tried to put everything back to default and my .cfg file looks exactly like before (see above) but the games still don't boot.
What did I f**** up? Is there anything wrong with the format because I remember the font size changing when I had issues due to QWERTZ and QWERTY Layout differences...
However file looks like it used to be

EDIT: I got it to work again. I seem to have set the Format to Word Wrap by accident with a Qwertz shortcut..
Still I am wondering why Lachlan's step didn't work...

Last edited:
If I decide somewhere down the line to sell my ARTAX TTX3 here in the AP market, is there any restrictions on that? Would I need to wipe the drive first?

Fixed .a3x files for Cave games
Awesome man, great. Thanks. Works. Still figuring out how to do this on my own.
Is it possible to remove nagscreen from all folders especially TX2/ TX3 as well?

What about that Main nagscreen animation from Artax during startup?

Last edited:
Possible, yes. Huge pain in the ass, especially the TTX ones. I've put about ten hours into this so far and I'm still not done.

All of the a3x files as well as multi.exe and multiboot.exe can be decompiled with AutoIt decompilers -- finding a working one of these was the most difficult part for me, but free ones exist. Modified scripts can be recompiled using the Aut2Exe program that's on the C drive of the multi.

Let me know if you figure out which of the Cave launch files I added the ransomware to. :)

Just kidding! ...But you should really do these fixes yourself, rather than trusting executables (yes, a3x files are executables) from random forum people.

Just kidding! ...But you should really do these fixes yourself, rather than trusting executables (yes, a3x files are executables) from random forum people.
Got a point. However I heard Canadians are always nice and never lock their Front door, so I thought you would be trustworthy...

If I decide somewhere down the line to sell my ARTAX TTX3 here in the AP market, is there any restrictions on that? Would I need to wipe the drive first?
I see people sell the whole system with multi drive. Though technically you should wipe it or sell without the drive.

Possible, yes. Huge pain in the ass, especially the TTX ones. I've put about ten hours into this so far and I'm still not done.

All of the a3x files as well as multi.exe and multiboot.exe can be decompiled with AutoIt decompilers -- finding a working one of these was the most difficult part for me, but free ones exist. Modified scripts can be recompiled using the Aut2Exe program that's on the C drive of the multi.

Let me know if you figure out which of the Cave launch files I added the ransomware to. :)

Could you tell me what is in the multiboot.exe decompiled?

Got a point. However I heard Canadians are always nice and never lock their Front door, so I thought you would be trustworthy...
We’re only nice to visitors :)

@thomas3184 — I discovered this program that supports decompiling AutoIt exe files: https://gitlab.com/suvaditya/autoit-extractor

You can use it to extract scripts compiled to a3x or exe. I’m not sure if there are better options available… I’m brand new to all this stuff myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back