What's new

cr4zymanz0r

Beginner
Reaction score
So since I'm having problems with 2 different boards, I feel like there's something I'm missing. Here's the full story below:

So I ordered what is supposedly a NOS CPS1 A board, that is believed to be a a CPS 1.5 board with the audio section re-populated. I wanted to grab one to set aside for the eventual CPS1 multi so I wouldn't have to rob the A board from one of my games. Anyway, when I got the first A board in I took the B + C board off Captain Commando then Knights of the Round to test the new A board. Things.....weren't right at all. The sound worked, but graphics were garbled and the demo wasn't playing right either (characters moving erratically). Some of the ICs in the audio section appear to be clones or different versions since they're labelled differently, but I would assume even if something is wrong with them that it wouldn't be causing weird non-audio issues. I put my B boards back in their original A boards to confirm they still worked fine. Even went back and re-seated one of them in the NOS A board again and still had the same issue.

At this point I assume the NOS A board is messed up, so I inform the seller roughly the same info as above and provide screenshots of the issue. He offers to ship me a replacement, so I say ok. Cool, I figure I just got unlucky with the first board but no biggy since I'll get a replacement.

Replacement board comes in today, I put Captain Commando on it to test.... and it's acting screwy too. It's not acting EXACTLY the same, but very similar. Sound works, lots of graphical corruption, AI behaving erratically in the demo. I decide to hit the service button to run whatever self-test there is just for good measure, but immediately after I press it I get "ADDRESS ERROR 0010075D".

Pictures of issues: https://imgur.com/a/awo7ZrJ

So, is there something I'm missing or did just get very unlucky and have 2 boards die during shipping? I'm under the impression you can just swap a game (B + C boards) to any working A board and you should be good. Both KotR and Captain Commando's original A boards have a 10mhz crystal and CPU, while the NOS boards have 12mhz but I thought most games are fine with that or at the very least wouldn't cause this kind of obviously wrong behavior.

Those NOS boards aren't NOS and are terrible hacks in my option. I base this on knowing several people who faced similar issues with these boards.

Can you get a refund and buy a normal CPS1 board?

Let's also add in that NOS doesn't necessarily mean working. It just means new old stock.

It could've died ten years ago sitting on a shelf and it'd still be NOS.

But like @Frank_fjs says, there's just something wrong about these in general.

Well, I’ll be damned. I just plugged mine in and nothing but a black screen... tested with two working B/C sets. I’m going to go ahead now go and fix up the few issues I’ve found on the soldering to see if it fixes things...

I definitely recommend for multi use that you get an “official” motherboard from a known working CPS-1 stack.

These are presumably nice for the price if they work but further than that, I have no real faith in the quality of the repopulation.

Let's also add in that NOS doesn't necessarily mean working. It just means new old stock.

Before they sent the replacement, I asked if they could test it before hand and they said all of them are tested before they're sent out. :/

That sucks. I got 2 and they were both fine.

if you refer to the a board sold by sheep_nova I bought one and it works great.

Before they sent the replacement, I asked if they could test it before hand and they said all of them are tested before they're sent out. :/
If they use/test it, it is no longer NOS but a used board anyway :P

if you refer to the a board sold by sheep_nova I bought one and it works great.
I have 3 coming my way. Asked for them to be tested and confirmed working. He spent a day testing and came back and confirmed they worked before I paid for them shipping them out. I paid as Goods & Services via Paypal and will test again when they get here.

Well they refunded me without any issues once I requested it. That's good at least.

Not sure what to do with the 2 leftover janky A boards now. I guess I could stick them in the closet for parts, but I have no idea which ICs are good and which are bad on them.

Definitely not bad to keep them around for parts boards? Especially if the customs happen to be working. Maybe someone here would be keen to take them off your hands “as is” too.

Thank you @Hammy for your advice ! But @sheep_nova its a good guy , everyone knows that ! I didnt had luck to grab 1 of these A pcbs ... when i Had money prepared to buy 1(10 days ago) ... stock are gone... now i’m just looking for a C board from sf hyper ... hope to find one

Thank you @Hammy for your advice ! But @sheep_nova its a good guy , everyone knows that ! I didnt had luck to grab 1 of these A pcbs ... when i Had money prepared to buy 1(10 days ago) ... stock are gone... now i’m just looking for a C board from sf hyper ... hope to find one
??

Anyways... Yeah those are not NOS, i think they will be stuff that was q-sound and went dead years ago / put into storage due to dead batteries.

Capcom is always a gamble, like konami, sega etc etc it can die any second - for no reason. If in poor condition (or running with dodgy addons) the death process speeds up!

??
You told me to keep the cps1 A board who your repaired me for DS & Apocalypse multi ✌️

Yes, they are the good 12mhz type boards.

Still always a roll of the dice each time they get fired up, the short board is not any more reliable, they die at the same rate ;)

Capcom is always a gamble, like konami, sega etc etc it can die any second - for no reason. If in poor condition (or running with dodgy addons) the death process speeds up!
Totally agree!

A good reason to not spend stupid $$$ on it, inevitably they'll be paper weights. 8o

Back