What's new
So is it confirmed it is a 4:3 ratio LCD 25” monitor to drop-in replace a 25” CRT monitor? If so - that is awesome and a long time in waiting!

Has anyone directly connected a jamma board to one yet? Let's see some photos!

As well as the panel it would be interesting to see what control board the panel uses. It states all the resolutions it supports but I see nothing regarding it being tolerant of jamma level voltage, I know the Acrooda 20.1" stated similar compatibility but you needed to drop the voltage levels before hand, it wasn't direct plug and play (for reference that used an off the shelf LG panel still available and same with the control board).

when I tested it at home, using my CBOX and a number of jamma boards (CPS1, CPS2, Track and Field, MiSTER, Killer Instict and MK3 ultimate) - I didn't see any immediate issues.

Matt

I ordered 5 total. Unico said that they will ship mid august, I'll take some pics when I get them

So - I hooked it up to my Track and Field board today, and for the most part, it looked good - BUT - the white guys have a white tshirt, and tan legs and arms - i couldn't adjust the settings anyway that didn't make them look like they were just all white... like it couldn't do TAN, so just went with white. I emailed Unico and asked them if this was to be expected.

First pic is the LCD - second pic is the CRT (obviously) :)

This was with the contrast and brightness almost all the way to zero.

Attachments

• IMG-7068.jpg
    IMG-7068.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG-7069.jpg
    IMG-7069.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 203
So - I hooked it up to my Track and Field board today, and for the most part, it looked good - BUT - the white guys have a white tshirt, and tan legs and arms - i couldn't adjust the settings anyway that didn't make them look like they were just all white... like it couldn't do TAN, so just went with white. I emailed Unico and asked them if this was to be expected.

First pic is the LCD - second pic is the CRT (obviously) :)

This was with the contrast and brightness almost all the way to zero.
Thanks for sharing! I say for the price is not bad at all! will yo be willing to take a pic of the I/O board?

There is a shield over it, but I will see if its easy to remove and send a pic tmrw. I do need to figure out what connector is on the little board - its way too short to use right now, so I need to make an extension cable.

Now that the monitor is actually in stock instead of a pre-order, I bought one to mess around with. $350 after shipping and tax is pretty expensive, but not out of this world for the unusual panel size/shape plus low resolution capability (assuming this actually works).

I'll lag test it at a couple of resolutions when I get the chance, and also take a look at what max resolution the panel actually supports, since there's been conflicting information to this day about it.

Let me know if you see any color issues - as I said, for mine, it doesn't do the "peach/tan" color well - at least on the Track and Field mobo. I am also waiting for a longer adjustment board cable so I can properly mount it in my cabinet - hopefully it ships this week!

Hey everyone, My order arrived as well. I got 6 so I will do a full comp between all 6 mathewbeall and let you know if I see any color differences between them.

here are a few pics, next of it next to a k7000, and test mounted it to an HS-5

Changing the position of the monitor for vertical games now takes about 2 mins and you don't risk fingers trying to get the monitor out. you can literally take it out and rotate it with one hand. no need to ask my friend to hold my beer anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 118
An example I am having where on Track and Field it can't really display sandy/peachy color - you can see that the sand is displayed as white for the long jump. Curious if others are seeing this also.

Edit - sounds like they will release a new firmware in a few months that gives you better control over the color profiles that should allow easier adjustment to resolve this issue.

Will be curious if folks are seeing any sort of analog noise on the screens? I noticed it while playing my CPS2 multi (15khz) as well as my Namco 256 - at 31khz (so 2 different inputs).

The 15khz input is just wires, so not shieled, but the VGA input (from the 256) is a regular VGA cable, and well shielded.

Attachments

• IMG-7178.jpg
    IMG-7178.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Some initial thoughts:

- Display lag measured from a Time Sleuth is approx 12ms 5.7ms across 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p compared against a CRT.
- 15khz works, but its a bit picky. Be mindful of the quality of VGA cable used. Same goes with HDMI cables. This display is not very tolerant of crappy cable quality.
- The menu selection controls are reversed
- There seems to be an issue with gamma, and colors are overblown. Menu > Picture > Color Adjust seems to help a bit, but I wish there was more control over this
- The Auto Adjust has the same problem as Color Adjust. It just kinda does what it wants and you have no control. Stuff will get stretched incorrectly and you can't change it. I suggest avoid using this when possible.
- As mentioned before, the cable for the monitor control is too short
- I'll be making some feet for this monitor. A VESA solution would be nice but maybe later.

Overall initial impressions is that it's decent, but I wish the menu was better. Also, UNICO claims that the panel is natively 1600x1200, which I really doubt. The pixels on this panel look gigantic, and my guess is that real resolution is 960p, as stated in the manual (They state on Facebook that this number is wrong). I also just noticed that the RGB striping of the panel is rotated 90deg, so text and stuff for high resolution situations like using a PC OS (Windows) will look like crap.

EDIT: See the attached picture. With this, I am 90% certain the panel is 960p (a pixel is approx .5mm, which when multiplied by 960 closely matches the true physical size of the panel), and also certain that the RGB stripe is rotated 90deg as I guessed earlier with just my eyes.

IMG20230819003444.jpg

Last edited:
Agree on the gamma issues - am hoping the new firmware they are working on makes this adjustable. I also would love to see better controls over position of screen. For things like MK3 - I couldn't get it to fully fit the screen, and even had some areas still cut off on the bottom.

Some more messing around with the monitor. I quickly (except the part where printing took 11hrs...) created some feet in order to easier stand the monitor up in regular and tate. I didn't get the center of gravity quite right so it's a bit tipsy if you push it, but it'll do for a first try. You can get a sense of how big it is next to my chair and next to some other monitors (32" 1080p LCD, 20" BVM D20F1U).

Based on Facebook posts, Unico expects to release updated firmware in about a month or so that will address the auto calibration issues and supposedly give us more manual control over color and picture size. I'll be somewhat satisfied with this monitor if that actually happens.

IMG20230819165844.jpg
IMG20230819170019.jpg
IMG20230819172620.jpg
IMG20230819172646.jpg

Last edited:
Back