What's new

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
I received this PDF from GroovyGameGear about the TurboTwist 2 for arcade1up cabinets
I am no expert but I am curious if this would work for using it with an actual arcade board
Need some experts to way in on this

Attachments

• TT2 DAR.pdf
    330.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Reactions: nem

rtw

Champion
Reaction score
I received this PDF from GroovyGameGear about the TurboTwist 2 for arcade1up cabinets
I am no expert but I am curious if this would work for using it with an actual arcade board
Need some experts to way in on this
It looks like these are only for the arcade1up cabinets, it will not work with a real arcade PCB

nem

Enlightened
Reaction score
It looks like these are only for the arcade1up cabinets, it will not work with a real arcade PCB
Why wouldn't the raw output work with a real arcade PCB?

rtw

Champion
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the raw output work with a real arcade PCB?
That manual leaves a bit to be desired. The J2 PCB at the bottom, how does that interface to the actual spinner.

But it looks like you are right, board is powered with 5V then the raw outputs should be 5V as well :D

brizzo

Staff member
Champion
Reaction score
The product description page and that pdf don't really describe exactly how the product works.

The pdf explains the spinner output pulse signalling is UART (not compatible with any original arcade hardware), but also implies it has future support for RAW X1/X2 signaling (this is what arcade games used), but doesn't explain if the pulse rate of these signals is adjustable (probably not, because raw implies it comes directly from the photo sensors)

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
I ordered a Turbo Twist 2 from Groovy Game Gear and I have it running with my original Arkanoid board
Randy was fantastic to deal with.
I used the Dial-A-Rez setting to adjust the spinner (4 and 3/4 revolutions seemed to work great for Arkanoid)

opt2not

Multi Boyz Pixeler
Enlightened
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I ordered a Turbo Twist 2 from Groovy Game Gear and I have it running with my original Arkanoid board
Randy was fantastic to deal with.
I used the Dial-A-Rez setting to adjust the spinner (4 and 3/4 revolutions seemed to work great for Arkanoid)
how did you connect it up? The website pictures and details don’t really show how you’d wire it up. It mentions USB connectors so I always figured it was a mame only spinner. I don’t even see connection headers on the spinner. Mind showing how you wired it up?

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
I ran the left and right wires from my jamma harness into the calibrated inputs (pin 3 and 4)
I ran 5v to pin 1 and GND to pin 2

When I first hooked it up the spinner would move very slowly so I hooked up an arcade button to pin 18 and 19 of the board (Dial-A-Rez)

You press and hold the button down and then turn the spinner about 4 and 3/4 rotations and release the button
That seemed to work good for Arkanoid but you can do the process again until u find what you like

You want the package with the D.A.R.E interface

Hope this helps

Attachments

• turbotwist2.jpg
    turbotwist2.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 95

MudGuts83

Student
Reaction score
Hi. Are these boards still being produced? If they, great. I have F3 multi setup and would like to get together what I'd need to play Arkanoid with a spinner.

brizzo

Staff member
Champion
Reaction score
@MudGuts83 yes they are, just finished assembling another batch last week.

But doesn't the F3 natively support using spinner without my adapter?

MudGuts83

Student
Reaction score
I am terribly new arcade hardware. So please excuse my ignorance. I do plan to buy a 1 slot MVS as well.