What's new

Pigcorn

Beginner
Reaction score
Swapping out an old 1080 and want to go 32” OLED. I have the 100mm VESA adapter mounting kit but wondering what monitor to go with?

Mostly playing mister and ps5

Are there even that many to choose from in 32 inches for OLED?

I got the Alienware 34" a couple months ago and it's been great aside from it being Alienware and all. I believe there is a 32" variant.

You basically only have the Asus PG32UCDM (not released yet) or the Innocn 32" (limited to 60hz), unless you want to pay 2-3k for a LG 32EP950 (also limited to 60hz)

I don't think OLED is a very cost effective option at this point, and the performance for non native resolution/refresh is unknown until someone tests for this. For the ASUS 42" OLED (PG42UQ), it was very fast at native resolution and refresh, but was quite slow at 1080p 60hz (~22ms, 1.5F vs CRT).

You can find high refresh 32" 1440p (or even 4k) non OLED monitors for less than 1/4 of the price, and not need to worry about OLED annoyances like ABL/ASBL.

Picture quality is great on OLEDs, but there is risk for burn-in for sure. I would personally be hesitant to do any gaming on an OLED display. Learned that lesson on my old Panasonic plasma and do no gaming on my Sony OLED that replaced it a few years ago.

I too am holding out for the 32 inch oled panels. Word on the street is production is ramping up.
We should see some offerings in 2024 around 1000 usd if not cheaper.

I'm less worried about burn in, especially with something that isn't in constant use like an arcade monitor. Rtings did some pretty good work on showing worst case scenario burn in testing, and it seems like it's not too bad when correctly managed. I would be more annoyed by other compromises like non-standard subpixel layout (QD-OLED and WOLED both have their own quirks that will be more noticeable at a close distance like a Vewlix seating position), uncontrollable brightness and pixel shifting changes (both needed to combat burn in), and low uniform brightness (OLEDs can claim peak 1000nit brightness, but that limit is more like 250nit when the brightness is uniform) to name a few issues.

Not sure how dedicated you are to OLED, but I use the LG 32GN650B in my Vewlix and it's phenomenal for both PS4 and 360 items. It's also super cheap now and works with the mounts.

https://a.co/d/1ExMKkl

I would personally be hesitant to do any gaming on an OLED display.
Gaming certainly isn't an issue. You'd get burn-in leaving CNN on all day (static images like what surrounds the news ticker), or working with spreadsheets though for sure (doubly so if you leave sun-equivalent-brightness HDR on at all times).

I've got 2 LG's, 1 is from 2017, used about 18 hours a day playing all manner of background noise and had had a good amount of gaming on it, and has no burn-in. The other I bought last year to have HDMI 2.1 and sees light use in my office when I feel like playing games between bits of work. No issue there either.

Plasmas certainly weren't all created equal. I've got two EDTV's here still and neither one has burn. Certainly a bit of luck needed, along with buying better models, when it came to those.

Gaming certainly isn't an issue. You'd get burn-in leaving CNN on all day (static images like what surrounds the news ticker), or working with spreadsheets though for sure (doubly so if you leave sun-equivalent-brightness HDR on at all times).

I've got 2 LG's, 1 is from 2017, used about 18 hours a day playing all manner of background noise and had had a good amount of gaming on it, and has no burn-in. The other I bought last year to have HDMI 2.1 and sees light use in my office when I feel like playing games between bits of work. No issue there either.

Plasmas certainly weren't all created equal. I've got two EDTV's here still and neither one has burn. Certainly a bit of luck needed, along with buying better models, when it came to those.
Right, static images. Things like map overlays, health bars, etc.

Maybe newer OLED panels have gotten better about it, but it's a risk. https://www.google.com/search?q=oled+burn+in

And my Panasonic VT50 wasn't a cheap panel, but I got burn in from BOTW and Mario Odyssey all the same.

I got burn in on my top of the line (at the time) LG LCD panel playing Assassins Creed.
Never had that issue on my Panasonic plasma VT60 🤷‍♂️

I can't imagine burn in being an issue in a home arcade scenario when you just turn the cab on for quick blasts of gaming or even weekend binges.

A commercial arcade, different story, long term perhaps.

Right, static images. Things like map overlays, health bars, etc.
Never had an issue with these, even with things like a permanent crosshair on screen.

And my Panasonic VT50 wasn't a cheap panel, but I got burn in from BOTW and Mario Odyssey all the same.
Hence "a bit of luck" as well as buying a nicer panel. Sometimes you just get bad luck. This is why I buy the 5 year service plan, if I get a dud that burns in easy, I'll get a new one.

By the time I got burn on my plasma (10y+) oled's had come down just enough at Costco for me to afford one I just went for the previous years model.

I'm sure something better will come along when my oled has burn in my set is a Panasonic & it has the panel maintenance mode that auto activates every now & then its about 5 years old.

No burn in on either my VT60 plasma or LG Oleds here after many years of gaming, static content, and movies/tv. Just added an Alienware oled 34" about 6 months ago that's been great as a primary computer display too. Lots of static content for days at a time, no burn in or image retention with the pixel adjustments & screen refresh scheduler.

An arcade display where you're playing multiple games I'm confident is varied enough to be just fine. If you're going to let it sit on pac-man's attract mode for a couple months though you might have an issue.

In my experience, burn in concerns are overhyped.

I've heard that 32" 16:9 oled displays start hitting the market next year. I need PRas3 mounting :3

My LG CX showed image retention within hours of use. The refresher thing does clear it up but I'm concerned about long term. It's definitely got some dark splotches on it after the year or two I've had it. I mostly use it with a PC.

My LG CX showed image retention within hours of use. The refresher thing does clear it up but I'm concerned about long term. It's definitely got some dark splotches on it after the year or two I've had it. I mostly use it with a PC.
hey dude, didn't you hear? burn in totally isn't real because stuff and anecdotes.

Gonna be interesting to see how 480hz mode perform. The 4k 240z performance should be good too for 4k games.

Yeah 1080p and 480

Hope when I mount in the viewlix that it looks flush

Sorry for those wondering it’s the LG

32GS95UE-B

Depending on the model monitor you have, you reuse the trim, the frame, and the glass.

The hadouken arcade instructions are pretty good at explaining it:
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...OPTcy4U-vRo_s38/edit#slide=id.g8750e89b98_0_6

I replaced the original monitors in two F's. They had 4 individual outer trim pieces and I had to remove the monitor innards from the black frame. I also had to buy new glass since it's part of the monitor and not part of the frame on the model I had.

Back