What's new

richtr8

Beginner
Reaction score
over the past month or so i've been gradually making headway on a CPS3 multikit. everything that i need is here except for SIMMs & a SCSI2SD, which are currently tied up in the post & should arrive next week.

i bought a motherboard advertised as junk, both on a gamble & also on the merit that they suddenly seem to have both disappeared & jumped up in value at the same time, so it was the only one available to me. when it arrived i quickly sighted some corrosion around the lower most row of pins on the PPU.

http://imgur.com/LMnIpJB

i immediately set to cleaning it with isopropanol & a toothbrush.

http://imgur.com/LFTsSog

i also quickly drove up to my friend who does all my fine-pitch soldering for me & asked if he could verify that the pins were properly making contact & resolder them if they weren't. he agreed, found a few bung pins, bent them back onto the chip & soldered them to their correct traces. it seemed to me that some of the pins still weren't making contact, but with no security cart to boot up the system, i didn't make noise.

http://imgur.com/a/wMqP5

a few days ago i received a dead security cart in the mail with which to test the board/flash a multikit BIOS into. i plugged it in & was presented with a screen full of rainbow garbage. reboot, black & white garbage. reboot, different set of garbage again, & so on. it seemed to be the same few sets of garbage. i assumed this meant i simply had a dead cart, which i already knew, so i want back to my mate's house again today to get the BIOS swapped. he swapped it, everything went smooth. i bought the multi BIOS pre-programmed so i'm assuming it was flashed correctly, but i'm 99% sure it's fine. a friend of my friend will be testing my modded sec cart on his working CPS3 soon. after we tried the SIMM-less CPS3 with the modded security cart, we still got the same garbage screens, but with different patterns. assuming this means that the PPU was still bad, i set to work on the PPU. at one point i had managed to reflow the solder on every single pin on that row & reconnect a broken-off pin, making sure with a multimeter they were 100% all making contact correctly, but there was still just garbage on screen.

i kept dicking with it & dicking with it & i made a few terrible mistakes. now it seems like i've exhausted my options. by the time i left the thing alone, it was much worse off than when i had it all connected. i feel really bad about it, but i'm also confused as to whether i was just adding insult to injury or not seeing as the board didn't work even when all the pins of the PPU were making contact with the correct places on the PCB.

http://imgur.com/a/IVchy

so now i'm at this point: is this a bad PPU? is this a good PPU making bad contact with destroyed pads? should i never touch an iron again in my life? those pins were not making contact with the pads before i reflowed them.

now that i've come this far i'm willing to pay return shipping + labour for anybody who wants to fix this. i think it'd need a full hot air rework. i'm opening my wallet up to get raped here because of how bad i feel about possibly wrecking this board. i'm located in melbourne, australia.

i'd also be open to offers of replacement PPUs off of broken boards or replacement motherboards.

Last edited:
Your mistake was lifting the pins. The proper remedy would be lift the chip (completely) from the board and straighten the pins with small pliers. Then re-solder the chip to the board. Now with broken pins it's still possible to repair but it's a tricker repair.

Your mistake was lifting the pins. The proper remedy would be lift the chip (completely) from the board and straighten the pins with small pliers
I wouldn't have been able to completely desolder the chip from the board (no hot air station) so I would have attempted to lift the feet and jump it in as well.

Your mistake was lifting the pins. The proper remedy would be lift the chip (completely) from the board and straighten the pins with small pliers
I wouldn't have been able to completely desolder the chip from the board (no hot air station) so I would have attempted to lift the feet and jump it in as well.
In that case the proper solution would be ask for help, look for someone with the proper tools. The pins are too fragile and the ones which were already bent are already weak from being tampered with. Bending them is the recipe for disaster.

already weak from being tampered with. Bending them is the recipe for disaster.
If you totally snapped off a foot you could try something crazy like dremel into the module's edge slowly to try and expose a foot-nub large enough to solder on. :S

already weak from being tampered with. Bending them is the recipe for disaster.
If you totally snapped off a foot you could try something crazy like dremel into the module's edge slowly to try and expose a foot-nub large enough to solder on. :S
DSC02706.JPG

Like that? :o

That is some mad dedication. One day I hope to develop the skill.

thanks for your replies, that's some nice work you've shown. it was indeed my original intention to completely remove the chip from the board using hot air, but with access to only a heatgun, i didn't really want to try. also, only one row of pins on the chip was damaged.

despite me botching the job later on, i did at one point have all pins connected to their correct spots on the board, & i still didn't get a proper video signal without garbage.
my security cart was tested on another working CPS3 & i've discovered that it doesn't work either.

@l_oliveira would you be willing to accept this board? it'd be such a tease if you just left me in awe of your work...

I cannot accept because I would get taxed from customs even if it's a gift. I really avoid picking stuff from other countries due to how stupid things work on this country (Brazil).

I am sure it's repairable.

thanks a lot man, i'll definitely get this thing going one day.
i'm really hoping someone with a hot air rework station shows up in my area, that would make things much simpler.

Like that? :o
That sure is something.

So what's the story for this? Two large chips that are missing legs on, what looks like, all eight sides.
They were taken from a board which died from battery leak. The leak ate the pins out so I sanded the chip casing and did that as a proof of concept. The board they're on had the chips blown by overvoltage accident (accidental swap 12/5v on harness wiring).

It worked perfectly for a while but after I started to put real use on the board the wires started to snap due to board flexing. So, if I am to redo it, I'll have to think a solution for the wires snapping problem...

Back