What's new

proto

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Why oh why did nobody warn me... one day I'm happily minding my business and the next day I find myself addicted to a new hobby which seems to go incredibly deep. Every little thing I look into I realise there's a whole new world to discover!

CRT adjusting
CRT safety (scary!)
PCBs! from prices to compatibility to repair to cleaning...
Harnesses
Power
Even sound is its own little chapter

Will keep me busy for the foreseeable future :)

Having grown up with the Atari 1080 and Commodore 64 I've been into collecting and messing around with them for a few years. Last year I got myself a scruffy arcade cab (with a pandora box inside) and recently started taking it to the next level.

Started with the MVS and have been enjoying a dozen or so games and recently got myself my first 3 PCBs. Admittedly I had my enthusiasm slashed when I received them and all three seem to have some kind of issue (or... i'm doing something wrong!). I've started a thread with details about this (https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ed-some-experienced-advice.15845/#post-255331), can't wait to get the community's expertise on the problem :)

So, super excited with all this, super keen to learn (and learn and learn and learn) and no doubt, in due course start contributing back as well!

Nice to meet you all,
Proto

Last edited:
Welcome! Hope your pockets are fat not flat ;)

Welcome!

Tell me about it. I’ve been sucked into the dark hole of arcade PCBs as well and planning to learn to solder to be able to repair and maintain them.

It’s a ton of fun, but expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes guys! Great community :)

Today's fun discovery was that my world rally 2 PCB has what's called a "suicide battery". I initially thought the batt was just for high scores but a little reading later I realise that if this gets removed or runs out it is good bye WR2. Its currently got 3.07v in it which I suspect isn't that much (I guess its a 3.3v?). So will probably need to wire the board to a 3.3v power supply at those battery points and replace it.

Welcome! And sorry about your wallet.

warnings: klov, n-g, srk, shmups, ao

at least here there's more answers than opinions! (but still plenty of opinions to go around!)

Back